Why become a member? ×

Went to Bass Direct today!!

bubinga5

Went to Bass Direct today to pick up my bits for my jazz bass..i walked in the place and was in bass heaven!!! for anyone who has been there you know what i mean...the first thing i clocked was a Nordstrand VJ4 with a Champhor top..plugged it in and it just blew me away..amazingly light...it was like 7 ibs!!!??? incredible tone..

The place is wall to wall bass...and im not talking off the shelf basses..these are all made to order instruments...you have all seen Marks site..

Beautiful instrument..

Next was an Esh Sovereign 5 with a poplar burl top...Just WoW.. the B string was awsome..for the money this bass i up there with the best..

I wanted to try all of the basses, especially the £5000 Spector, but Mark was trying to show my dim brain how to solder the Nordstrand pups to my Jazz pots..

I was a bit worried when Mark said my Aguilar gear was the 'Ford' of the bass amplification world, :) but i was drooling over the Markbass and Bergantino i was playing through...they sounded superb..

if i could have i would have stayed all day and played the Skjold's, Roscoes, Mayones's..and that trulley amazing Dingwall super J5..in the flesh that bass is something to behold!!!

Mark is a lovely bloke with so much knowledge..i could have listened to his bass knowledge all day but he may not have the patience for someone who waffles on like me..

Bass Direct is the best bass shop in the UK, not expensive, lovely man who runs it, great service...the best basses in the world..

i think its great that Mark introduces basses like Clover, Esh, that not many of us have heard of into the UK..it gives these amazing builders a chance to make a mark

thanks Mark..i will let you know when i cant remember how to solder the Redeemer.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='590937' date='Sep 5 2009, 07:42 PM']Went to Bass Direct today to pick up my bits for my jazz bass..i walked in the place and was in bass heaven!!! for anyone who has been there you know what i mean...the first thing i clocked was a Nordstrand VJ4 with a Champhor top..plugged it in and it just blew me away..amazingly light...it was like 7 ibs!!!??? incredible tone..

The place is wall to wall bass...and im not talking off the shelf basses..these are all made to order instruments...you have all seen Marks site..

Bass Direct is the best bass shop in the UK, not expensive, lovely man who runs it, great service...the best basses in the world..[/quote]

Sounds like an amazing day! Where is this place?!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='590937' date='Sep 5 2009, 07:42 PM']I wanted to try all of the basses, especially the £5000 Spector,[/quote]

Wish you had done....am starting to get really into Spectors!

Damn....GAAAAASSSS!!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='590937' date='Sep 5 2009, 07:42 PM']I was a bit worried when Mark said my Aguilar gear was the 'Ford' of the bass amplification world.......[/quote]
It's completely unprofessional to slag off somebodies gear like that if you work in a music shop - if he'd done that to me I'd have taken my money elsewhere.

I notice that this shop doesn't stock Aguilar - I always question the validity of anything said about a piece of gear by someone that works in a music shop if they don't happen to stock that particular make. I know of music shops that make a point of rubbishing certain brands just because they've refused to let the shop stock their equipment (you have to wonder why they wanted to stock that stuff in the first place if they think it's crap).

I've seen it happen so many times before - a shop will slag off a make of bass, amp or whatever & then 6 or 12 months later they're now stocking that same piece of gear & saying how great it is.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='RhysP' post='591040' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:23 PM']It's completely unprofessional to slag off somebodies gear like that if you work in a music shop - if he'd done that to me I'd have taken my money elsewhere.

I notice that this shop doesn't stock Aguilar - I always question the validity of anything said about a piece of gear by someone that works in a music shop if they don't happen to stock that particular make. I know of music shops that make a point of rubbishing certain brands just because they've refused to let the shop stock their equipment (you have to wonder why they wanted to stock that stuff in the first place if they think it's crap).

I've seen it happen so many times before - a shop will slag off a make of bass, amp or whatever & then 6 or 12 months later they're now stocking that same piece of gear & saying how great it is.[/quote]

indeed, i bet they don't stock aguilar.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='591012' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:28 PM']im not sure if my wallet knows it yet, but Nordstrand may have it under arrest..i LOVE that bass.not sure if it beats my Sei though...different animal maybe..[/quote]
So you're happy with the Nordstrands? :) Did you get the NJ4SE's per chance? How do they compare to the ones you had previously?
I'm thinking of replacing the pups in my J-74, and Nordstrand is one of the top candidates.

[quote name='RhysP' post='591040' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:23 PM']It's completely unprofessional to slag off somebodies gear like that if you work in a music shop - if he'd done that to me I'd have taken my money elsewhere.

I've seen it happen so many times before - a shop will slag off a make of bass, amp or whatever & then 6 or 12 months later they're now stocking that same piece of gear & saying how great it is.[/quote]

TBH, I expect this was just a joke comment when talking to someone about a product he doesn't stock, rather than some attempt to diss a very well known, quality brand such as Aguilar. Really don't think thats his style

[quote name='RhysP' post='591040' date='Sep 5 2009, 10:23 PM']....It's completely unprofessional to slag off somebodies gear like that if you work in a music shop - if he'd done that to me I'd have taken my money elsewhere....[/quote]
Is it your time of the month?

[quote name='Platypus' post='591088' date='Sep 5 2009, 11:20 PM']TBH, I expect this was just a joke comment when talking to someone about a product he doesn't stock, rather than some attempt to diss a very well known, quality brand such as Aguilar. Really don't think thats his style[/quote]
everyone has there opinion on ampflication..Mark knows his stuff and obviously likes Markbass and Bergantino....i dont think fo a secong aguilar is the 'Ford' of the bass world but its just an opinion..i love the sound of Aguilar gear...beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

[quote name='chris_b' post='591162' date='Sep 6 2009, 02:45 AM']Is it your time of the month?[/quote]

Was there any need for that?

I was expressing my opinion, which I stand by, which is what I thought these forums were for.

IMO music shops are there to sell the gear they stock, not belittle the stuff they don't stock.

I have no opinion either for or against Aguilar gear, but to me that's irrelevant. It wouldn't matter if I was using £5,000 worth of amplification or a £20 practice amp, I don't want to hear some sales assistants comments about it, "light-hearted" or otherwise.

I dont really think "ford" is an insult,its, reliable, good looking, industry standard and if you were thinking of buying a van surley a transit would be among the first choices...?
I totally agree with your point about disenfanchised dealers though, Ive been told by a two, Trace Elliot gear is (literally) "rubbish" and, say what you like, its not.
On both occasions, one look round the shop, big shock, no Trace gear.
"I wouldnt stock it anyway mate"
....yeah right.... anyway... its been nice so...errr..bye..

Bubinga5 - It was good to see you on Saturday, I hope you have managed to get your pickups and the Redeemer circuit in okay without causing yourself too much harm ;-)

For the record, I like Aguilar and my comment should not be taken too seriously and was in no way meant top slight the product - I like the cabs but cannot stock everything, the ones I have had in to sell for customers have been excellent!

Regards

Mark

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='591300' date='Sep 6 2009, 11:50 AM']If Aguilar is Ford, does that mean my Ashdown Mag is a Trabant? :)[/quote]

If the Mag is a Trabant that makes me an East European used car dealer from the days of the Iron Curtain. That kind of appeals to me.

As Mark has said:

For the record, I like Aguilar and my comment should not be taken too seriously and was in no way meant top slight the product - I like the cabs but cannot stock everything, the ones I have had in to sell for customers have been excellent!

Regards

Mark

I know Mark very well and he is a shining light in the world of bass (I'm not affiliated to Bass Direct or any other dedicated bass shops in any way btw) so could we refrain from any further disparaging comments concerning what was essentially a lighthearted comment about a product. This also applies to the comments about lunar cycles. Thank you.

Nick (on behalf of the moderation team)