Why become a member? ×

4 string fans!!!

XxBassMastaXx

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='590531' date='Sep 5 2009, 11:59 AM']welcome fellow 4 string fans![/quote]

nobody said they did i think you're just developing a bit of an inferiority complex here. To be honest i hear a lot about this idea that playing a bass with more than 4 strings somehow makes you less of a player, it goes back to this idea that the only reason people develop improvements to instruments is because they can't play them properly, which is bulls***.

You ought to go find out what playing a 5 string bass actually means before posting crap like this.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='590538' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:09 PM']To be honest i hear a lot about this idea that playing a bass with more than 4 strings somehow makes you less of a player[/quote]
It's usually the other way around in my experience - 'five strings makes you more of a player'. It's b******s either way.

At a gig, drummer introduces me to his old bass-playing friend. We chat a little and friend leaves. Drummer says 'He's a proper bass player, five string and everything'. Yawn.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590571' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:49 PM']It's usually the other way around in my experience - 'five strings makes you more of a player'. It's b******s either way.

At a gig, drummer introduces me to his old bass-playing friend. We chat a little and friend leaves. Drummer says 'He's a proper bass player, five string and everything'. Yawn.[/quote]

I once had a chap lead his Son to the stage following a sound check. He pointed to my Artisan A6 and said "He must be good look ... a six string bass" as if that made me a bass playing genius ... I only ever played 3 of the strings anyway (hence I no longer have it) :)

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='XxBassMastaXx' post='590531' date='Sep 5 2009, 11:59 AM']welcome fellow 4 string fans![/quote]

i dont understand, how does the number of strings relate to how good or bad a player is? thats like saying people who drive reliant robins are better drivers than people who drive mondeos. in my experience they are just as sh*t as each other.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590601' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:15 PM']Only two to share between them?[/quote]

maybe 4 then, i cant remember how many guitars they had

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590594' date='Sep 5 2009, 01:09 PM']Hmmm... I tend to have a a rather dusty area that begins around the seventh fret.

And next to the first five frets I have written the word 'money'.[/quote]

Love it :)

For me it's a case of horses for courses. The job I'm doing this week and next (a two week run of the "Footloose" stage show), needs a 5-string for only a couple of bits, but it'd just not sound right bringing those parts up the octave, so I'm switching between my two 5-string Status S2's on various evenings.

Obviously for faster, funkier stuff, a 4-string is just the ticket.

Only one I wish I hadn't sold was my TRB-6. That was so useful in the pit. I'll have to get another 6 made or something soon...

Rich.

I was at an open mike night last week & a bloke arrived witha a Yamaha bass case.

Came his turn to go up & jam the bass for a couple of people - pulls out a Yammy 6 string - neck like an ironing board. 'Blimey - this is going to be good!!!' thought I!

Well. I don't want to do the bloke down, but he really was a disappointment. The two artists did a 12 bar variant & BassPlayer was totally lost. Same in next number which was a proper 12 bar.

Maybe he's really great at the stuff he plays, but maybe shouldn't be jamming.

The Yammy sounded great by the way - through a Peavey TNT 150.

G.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='590571' date='Sep 5 2009, 12:49 PM']At a gig, drummer introduces me to his old bass-playing friend. We chat a little and friend leaves. Drummer says 'He's a proper bass player, five string and everything'. Yawn.[/quote]

Now come on. A drummer who can count past 4? You're fibbin' :)