Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines that everyone plays different

ironside1966

Here are a couple that I have noticed

Hit me with Your rhythm stick- Ian Dury
Good times – Chic
Come on come over - Jaco most people go for something like the version in bass lines by Joe Hubbard but I am sure that is way out.
The run in Black velvet - Alanis Miles

Sure there are loads more

Edited by ironside1966

[quote name='ironside1966' post='585284' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:23 PM']Chick
Don’t know what you mean.[/quote]

the band were called [b]chic[/b]...not [b]chic[color="#000000"]k[/color][/b] :)

also, the song is good time[b][color="#000000"]s[/color][/b]...not good time :rolleyes:

[size=1]*[i]note to self...must stop being so pedantic[/i]*[/size]

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='585292' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:35 PM']the band were called [b]chic[/b]...not [b]chic[color="#000000"]k[/color][/b] :)

also, the song is good time[b][color="#000000"]s[/color][/b]...not good time :rolleyes:

[size=1]*[i]note to self...must stop being so pedantic[/i]*[/size][/quote]

Good times – Chic
Come on come over - Jaco most people go for something like the version in bass lines by Joe Hubbard but I am sure that is way out.

Still don’t know what you mean

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='585489' date='Aug 30 2009, 11:32 PM']Did you notice the continuously struck open A during the lead break? Loads of folks don't. :)[/quote]
Damn right! and mostly stays on A in chorus apart from odd stray to F#, in other words doesnt follow chords as such
also watch Macca, "strum", almost, on open/octave A when playing Get back on apple roof

[quote name='RichB' post='585505' date='Aug 31 2009, 12:03 AM']I'm crap so play everything wrong. :lol: :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

It's not wrong - its simply a different interpretation!!! - alternatively,if challenged, just say that you're playing the jazz version!

Apart from that slight qualification .... +1

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='ironside1966' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:07 PM' post='585315']

Good times – Chic

The Basslines books are great, however i've come across quite a few errors in them, so don't take anything for granted. Always pays to use yer ears...!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='585510' date='Aug 31 2009, 12:19 AM']It's not wrong - its simply a different interpretation!!! - alternatively,if challenged, just say that you're playing the jazz version!

Apart from that slight qualification .... +1[/quote]

Thank you kind sir, I'll be quoting the next time I play (prob wednesday)

I always improv the basslines in my covers bands by following what the guitar player is doing and eventually just memorising the harmonic structure and accents. At first I did it when I didn't have time to learn the songs properly but I got a lot of good feedback about how I was changing the songs and it makes it much more fun and characterful live so I've kept doing it. We're booked for a lot of gigs though so I figure it can't be too bad, watch out for us around Cheshire [url="http://www.myspace.com/lespeches"]http://www.myspace.com/lespeches[/url] :). Unfortunately none of my bass parts are on that myspace yet