Why become a member? ×

Worlds largest pedal board!

Musky

I always find this kind of thing intriguing. Why do they do it?

There can be no reason in a musical context to require that many pedals, There's no 'acheivment' in making the worlds largest pedal board, as it isn't going to be hard for some music shop / pedal manufacturer to assemble an even bigger one. Anyone who plays a guitar will think 'ostentatious pricks'. Anyone who doesn't play guitar will think 'ostentatious pricks'.... what's the point???

[quote name='bassbloke' post='584908' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:07 AM']Maybe some of you should have followed the link before commenting. It was clearly a semi-serious record attempt held as part of a fund raising event for a regional kidney charity. Now who's got a small penis eh![/quote]

Followed link. Kudos for charity work, still a pointless record to 'break' (I'm sure if we could be bothered the 'record' could be smashed at the next bass bash if we each took a handful of pedals along). Still a bunch of fretboard w***ers.

I remember when records were about people pushing themselves to the limit of physical endurance - lifting hundreds of beer crates, cycling thousands of miles on a unicycle, eating millions of beans with a toothpick etc. Wouldn't have been the same if Roy Castle had been singing "A big fat wallet's all you need..... " :)

So it was all for charidee... fair enough, but to count as world record I would have thought it should meet to following conditions:

1. No duplication of pedals. If you need to duplicate things like loop switchers then only the first instance counts.
2. Every pedal should be accessible easily so it can be quickly activated during a performance. I have problems with a second row of of foot switches unless it's elevated above the first. I the photo posted there are 6 rows of pedals in some places - I can see anyone being able to quickly and accurately access a footswitch in the 5th row let alone the 6th.
3. The title says the world's largest pedal board. Therefore they should all be on a single board and in a sensible order. Again in the photo it looks as though it's just lots of smaller pedal boards wired together.
4. With every pedal in bypass (not counting loop switches) you should still get a decent clean tone from your instrument, without extra hum or buzz being introduced.
5. With every pedal on and actually doing something audible to the signal you should get a musically usable sound where the tune being played can still be recognised and simply a cacophonous swirl or echoes and feedback.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='584951' date='Aug 30 2009, 08:19 AM']5. With every pedal on and actually doing something audible to the signal you should get a musically usable sound where the tune being played can still be recognised and simply a cacophonous swirl or echoes and feedback.[/quote]
Do you get a useable tone when you turn on all your pedals? Well, I've actually got a woolly mammoth, an OD, a BMS and a wah, so for me it's yes, but I think that each pedal should have it's purpose, and not just be contributing towards a sound. Each should be usable on it's own, and should sound damn good!

[quote name='bassbloke' post='584908' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:07 AM']Maybe some of you should have followed the link before commenting. It was clearly a semi-serious record attempt held as part of a fund raising event for a regional kidney charity. Now who's got a small penis eh![/quote]
I see humour is lost in some people :)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='585231' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:07 PM']Do you get a useable tone when you turn on all your pedals? Well, I've actually got a woolly mammoth, an OD, a BMS and a wah, so for me it's yes, but I think that each pedal should have it's purpose, and not just be contributing towards a sound. Each should be usable on it's own, and should sound damn good![/quote]

Fair enough. How about as an alternative the 'pedal board' is used for a one hour long set during which time each pedal must be used at least once for at least 4 bars in duration? After all there's no point in having individual pedals if your not going to use each one.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='586591' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:42 PM']Someone with a simple MIDI floor-switching unit and a rack of well chosen multi-effects will have a far more versatile set up.[/quote]

...and will have spent a lot more money!

It depends on how complex you get I suppose. To do the same as I was doing with a rack and MIDI switching would cost you a hell of a lot. To go from using 5+ distortions, a couple of modulation effects and a filter to using a POD or similar would be a considerable saving.