Why become a member? ×

Save your beloved (bass that is!) from buckle rash

Clarky

I have mentioned this randomly in a couple of posts before but I thought its worth flagging up for BCers. I use a ScratchPad to protect all my basses from buckle rash and rear damage. Its an ingenious adherent pad that does not use glue (and so can be put on or removed whenever you feel like, leaving no residue) and has a velvet-y surface for comfort. From my feedback you will see that people generally say that I sell basses in fantastic nick and this is one of the reasons. The best thing is they are reasonably cheap (£14 at Thomann). Here is their website for pics and details etc [url="http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html"]http://www.scratchpadusa.com/index.html[/url]

[attachment=31450:Belt_Buc...wText300.jpg]

BTW, from experience I would go for one with no graphic (if available; like in pic above) or the smallest graphic possible as th graphic goes through the pad and to my mind seems to reduce adherence to the bass slightly. The plain one sticks really well and will not come off unless you want it to come off.

[quote name='kurcatovium' post='579215' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:17 PM']Do not wear belt! :-) Problem solved.[/quote]
This solution, while viable for the many of the lithe younger players out there, results in me playing bass with trousers around my ankles

Believe me, not a good look

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='579648' date='Aug 24 2009, 10:38 PM']Do your belt up round the side.
There's no rule to say you have to do them up round the front (unless the Belt Police are watching you.....)[/quote]
The next poster will be suggesting we all wear braces :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='579650' date='Aug 24 2009, 10:39 PM']The next poster will be suggesting we all wear braces :)[/quote]

We should all wear braces :rolleyes:

If you dont want to move your belt round, wrap your bass cleaning cloth (what do you mean you don't have one?) round the buckle.

Don't forget you are building in a vintage road-worn value to your instrument by allowing it to develop a lilttle character from its gigs, etc. I believe adding a few cigarette burns to the headstock can also increase the value of your instrument.
Don't miss the opportunity of allowing your instrument to collect value by protecting it from such daily wear. Scratches and chips are an investment.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='580098' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:31 PM']Don't forget you are building in a vintage road-worn value to your instrument by allowing it to develop a lilttle character from its gigs, etc. I believe adding a few cigarette burns to the headstock can also increase the value of your instrument.
Don't miss the opportunity of allowing your instrument to collect value by protecting it from such daily wear. Scratches and chips are an investment.[/quote]
Good point. Just off to get my rotary sander and chisel :)

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='580268' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:29 PM']Who tucks their shirt in anyway??[/quote]
(dont forget the average age of people here)

Good idea, but half of me looks forward to the day when my bass is all battered up and has chips in it and everything.

The other half has bought 4 of these - 2 for each bass in case one gets worn out half way through a gig. :)

• 9 months later...

Oddly enough, the buckle rash has never bothered me, it just feels werid if it rests on the buckle, I either set it to just below the buckle, do it up round the side, or at one gig, I wore a t-shirt and a towel.

Although that was for different reasons.

Here's one on eBay in US which will ship to UK - all-in cost about £15 and there are other listings too, some of which may be cheaper [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scratch-Pad-Guitar-Finish-Protector-Safe-Removeable-/270557678430?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3efe7e8b5e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scratch-Pad-Guitar-F...=item3efe7e8b5e[/url]

I had a bass on loan to someone for a month, and just got it back today in a hello of a mess. I'm looking for these things to stop that happening again. I don't recall ever marking any of my basses myself, apart from one accident with the lid of a hiscox case.

I find that kind of thing very un-rock n roll. A bit like that wooly cover that someone produces to cover the whole guitar body. Uggh.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment of others here, if you're bothered by buckle rash (Fenders - no, expensive boutique bass - yes) do something free and simple instead. It's a bit like someone inventing a machine to tie your shoelaces.

[quote name='Golchen' post='850885' date='May 29 2010, 08:17 AM']I find that kind of thing very un-rock n roll. A bit like that wooly cover that someone produces to cover the whole guitar body. Uggh.

I pretty much agree with the sentiment of others here, if you're bothered by buckle rash (Fenders - no, expensive boutique bass - yes) do something free and simple instead. It's a bit like someone inventing a machine to tie your shoelaces.[/quote]
Its completely invisible to anyone watching you play so its completely different from that ridiculous body glove thing and has no impact on your "rock n roll credibility" - besides, since when was £10-15 a big investment in your bass? Strings cost more!