Why become a member? ×

Reading Music

Pete Academy

One reader here.

It's funny, I had been playing for quite a while before I learned to read and I would say it still makes me a bit bervous sometimes. The reason I say this is that when I couldn't read, I didn't feel as if it had hindered me at all. Now I can read, I look back and realise all the stuff that I was cut off from. Also how much easier reading makes certain types of playing situations that ask for a quick ... study? turnaround? no rehearsal? y'know what I mean.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='576415' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:04 AM']As a fairly new BC member, forgive me if this has been discussed before, but how many of you read music?

Do the one's that don't feel it's hindered you?

I can't read a note. :)[/quote]

Hello Pete, it's been discussed a few times but have a read of this - the biggest (I think), [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33949"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33949[/url]

As usual, it got a bit heated here and there and WoT shut that thing down.

I read a titchy bit but never need to, know a bit of theory and can can identify notes on the bass pretty quickly. I think theory is much more important than reading for me.

I read well enough for most scenarios but wish I could read better (not because I need to, just because I wish I could). I think there are two types of reading; basic reading and sight reading. The first is about learning what the dots mean so you can learn things etc whilst the second is about learning to read the dots in real time so you can play stuff sight unseen right off the bat (like orchestral players). I can do the latter, providing it is not too difficult a part (which most, frankly, aren't).

Whatever skill level you have, I would recommend it for the reasons given in the debate you were directed to. It is a tool that I value for playing and for showing others what to play. Readers waste less time learning complex parts when you have limited rehearsal time.

And it is not as hard to do as some make out.

I don't - unless you count very basic schoolboy stuff. I haven't found it's hampered me at all in any of the bass gigs I've done over the years but I do think it's a bloody useful skill and maybe I'd have had better - or at least different - gigs if I did read.

I've never figured 'tab'. If you're going to learn a reading skill why not take the time and learn the better one. I'm sure someone will explain why that attitude is simplistic.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='576501' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:09 AM']Self deprecation is a great way of justifying not having to do anything remotely demanding. Like learning to read music.[/quote]

I agree.

Truth is, I've never been the studious type. My free time is limited and I've never been the type to enjoy studying. I agree the rewards in learning to read could be great, but quite frankly, after a long day, the last thing I want to do is study! Its mostly dinner -> Iron shirt -> Bed. I envy you guys who have the energy, motivation and inclination to do these amazing feats of self development in your free time.

I read music in the same way that I can read Japanese. I have enough knowledge that if someone puts some notation in front of me, given enough time (normally a couple of days) I can play what's been written. However that isn't what I call reading. Anyone with access to the information - what pitches are where on the stave and what the tails on the dots mean in terms of note duration - can do that. Reading to me is what Bilbo calls sight reading. That's a real talent.

Yup - although not brilliantly anymore. I try to motivate myself to do more sight reading practice, but the truth is I've other things I'd rather be doing.

I'd say I use notation more when I'm writing down something I've transcribed/composed myself.

Real question Pete is do you want to play a piece of music only available in score form? Do you expect to play in a theatre or orchestra pit in the near future?

If the answers are 'no' then leave reading music on the backburner. The basics are not too hard to learn and I'd expect any basschatter given a few evenings could work out what notes were required and tab out their own bassline however...

When classically trained types enthuse about reading music they are elevating ease and speed in reading music. The big goal is sight reading, see the staves play the notes. In the pro music world the time interval between recieving the music and being expected to play it can be short. So if you're aiming high getting comfortable with notation is a good thing..

As a bumbling amateur I'm still at the 'figure it out in a fortnight' stage.

As i am a trumpet player first and formost (recently passed my grade 8! ) i can read music competantly, and i have grade 5 music theory aswel. But i cant read music and play bass as i have been rather lazy and not learnt the fretboard as it were! So i feel that is holding me back a fair amount. But as i am fairly musical, i can get around that by using my ear. It hasnt held me back yet but if i ever wanted to try and do any pit work or anything a little more demanding, i cudnt really cud i ! Ah wel i dont really have the time or patience to learn!

Personally I'm of the view that for 97% of your average scenarios you don't need it. I've been playing for a long long time and did lots of deps for bands playing all styles of music. Never was I asked to read a chart which, to me, was a bit confusing as I was spending a lot of time learning to read as I thought its what I had to do. I've come to the conclusion now that I'll never need it and as such don't bother with it anymore. I'd rather spend the time learning stuff that I'll be using for everyday playing situations. Unless you are a top session player, part of an orchestra or an in-demand dep player you'll rarely use it.

I'm not saying its bad to learn music but I'd rather spend my time on something I'd use more often in my current band situation. With the internet and the numerous tab and transcription sites you'll rarely if ever need to use it to transcribe stuff.

My personal advice - don't bother, just keep learning to groove and train your ears. Now ear-training is a whole different kettle of fish and highly recommended IMO.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

I must admit there are times when I envy people who can do a show gig by reading the dots. In our band the brass players read, but sometimes get pretty much dependent on the dots. I can hear something and pretty much play it straight away, unless it's something complex. I've 'written/composed' and recorded my own music in the past, too.

Like BBC I just don't have the time and inclination to start learning, these days.

I've lost gigs not being able to read super fly-sh*t but unless they are giving out parts to the drummer then I use it as a chart with pointers....and laugh..
If you want to see how formal the parts are ..that is the clincher, IMV and not that often the case IME.
I'd rather make my own notes mostly but when a new band-leader calls you, and they ask if you read...it is generally a sounding-out thing anyway.

Don't B/S them here..tell them what you can do and make sure you deliver if you get the chance. The idea here is to get called back again and again.

I know plenty or Pit guys who read VERY well...but you wouldn't have them anywhere near a busking gig..and I am not joking.. and I know a few guys who haven't a clue what notes they are playing..they just have perefct pitch and really know their way around the guitar.

I think a decent balance between reading well enough not to be clueless with the dots in front of you and a good ear is the way to go for 90% of the work out there. that and having a dependable attitude, good basics etc etc ...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='576458' date='Aug 21 2009, 12:43 PM']there are two types of reading; basic reading and sight reading.[/quote]

Agree with Bilbo all the way..

In this case, I'm somewhere in between - I can't yet [i]properly [/i]play a tune on the spot, but, well, um, [i]understanding[/i], what's written - no problem..

[quote name='JTUK' post='576700' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:31 PM']I know plenty or Pit guys who read VERY well...[b]but you wouldn't have them anywhere near a busking gig[/b]..and I am not joking.. and I know a few guys who haven't a clue what notes they are playing..they just have perefct pitch and really know their way around the guitar.[/quote]

Possibly true...
But i know of a lot of guys who do both really well...
And guess what...
They work alot.
I dont think it hurts to read...
If you do not see yourself going down the road where you are required to read,
It can help you in the practise or need to learn quick world.

Garry

[quote name='silddx' post='576436' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:23 AM']I think theory is much more important than reading for me.[/quote]
Same here.
I've actually started learning to read (again) and getting stuck into some theory & I'm enjoying it, though I'm not able to give it the time I'd like to at the moment. The series of lessons that rslaing posted a while back really inspired me to give it another bash.

[quote name='lowdown' post='576736' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:56 PM']Possibly true...
But i know of a lot of guys who do both really well...
And guess what...
They work alot.
I dont think it hurts to read...
If you do not see yourself going down the road where you are required to read,
It can help you in the practise or need to learn quick world.

Garry[/quote]

Not arguing against reading gigs...done plenty of them, thanks.

maybe you should read my post again if you think I am advocating reading as not required for a jobbing bassist/musician

[quote name='JTUK' post='577115' date='Aug 21 2009, 08:57 PM']Not arguing against reading gigs...done plenty of them, thanks.
maybe you should read my post again if you think I am advocating reading as not required for a jobbing bassist/musician[/quote]

Just putting the other side across.Not having a go.
Also i think relevant pitch is just as useful as perfect pitch for busking.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='JTUK' post='577115' date='Aug 21 2009, 08:57 PM']Not arguing against reading gigs...done plenty of them, thanks.

maybe you should read my post again if you think I am advocating reading as not required for a jobbing bassist/musician[/quote]

I think it is required for a jobbing musician. I find that as a professional working player I would have lost a lot of work by not
being able to read.
If you have done plenty of reading gigs,you must realise that reading is required to be a working musician.......and I'm not talking about Pro
Cover/Tribute band players,I'm refering to 'jobbing' musicians.