Why become a member? ×

Death/Black metal songs that are easy to play (if there is such a thing)

markdavid

Hi All ,

I have been playing for a while now but have recently been playing a lot more death and black metal and as a result have found that when it comes to playing such complex fast music I suck , now instead of throwing in the towel I was hoping somebody could recommend some death or black metal that is fairly easy to play, im never gonna be alex webster but hopefully I can use that as a building block and work my way up to some of the more complex stuff , thanks

[quote name='markdavid' post='575361' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:06 PM']Hi All ,

I have been playing for a while now but have recently been playing a lot more death and black metal and as a result have found that when it comes to playing such complex fast music I suck , now instead of throwing in the towel I was hoping somebody could recommend some death or black metal that is fairly easy to play, im never gonna be alex webster but hopefully I can use that as a building block and work my way up to some of the more complex stuff , thanks[/quote]

Learn to play jazz. That sorta stuff is dead usdseful for death metal. As for Black metal, some is very simple, but there is one thing you definitely need:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='575366' date='Aug 20 2009, 12:09 PM']Learn to play jazz. That sorta stuff is dead usdseful for death metal. As for Black metal, some is very simple, but there is one thing you definitely need:

[/quote]

Yeah I agree about the jazz thing , its funny how two styles people think of as being completely different are in some ways so similar

Dimmu Borgir is pretty easy and somewhat interesting for a bass player. And its mostly tuned in B standard (IE 5 string) Vortex is an amazing player.

Puritania being the easiest.

Mourning Palace a step up.

Kings of Carnival creation is pretty fun to play, and if you like bass players with really really good vocals, skip to the middle break part :)

Another pretty simple song to play, but very fast! Enslaved - The Watcher. Thats in Drop C i think.

If you want really really easy stuff. Amon Amarth is your friend, i play this stuff when i want to do the lead vocals as well! (In B standard)

Play some 1349 if you want some nice fast riffs. Maybe try some Behemoth and early Dissection (Somberlain era). Ive been listening to a lot of Watain recently and even though most of the songs are fast but easy, there are some nice little bass runs throughout the place. Play any Gorgoroth from Under The Sign of Hell too.

For a bit of Death metal check out Bloodbath. They're a bit more of a groove ridden Death metal band.

+1 on the Dimmu and Enslaved.

If you want an easy start, how about some Celtic Frost? "Procreation Of The Wicked" is heavy as hell, standard tuning, and can be played totally on the E string :) On the "Morbid Tales" album if memory serves me right. Or try some tracks off "To Mega Therion" as they are a little more technical.

Or how about some Venom? "Countess Bathory" is fairly easy. Seem to remember its Eb.

IMHO, those two bands were the ones who started the whole death metal thing :brow:

[quote name='retroman' post='576182' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:50 PM']If you want an easy start, how about some Celtic Frost? "Procreation Of The Wicked" is heavy as hell, standard tuning, and can be played totally on the E string :) On the "Morbid Tales" album if memory serves me right. Or try some tracks off "To Mega Therion" as they are a little more technical.

Or how about some Venom? "Countess Bathory" is fairly easy. Seem to remember its Eb.

IMHO, those two bands were the ones who started the whole death metal thing :brow:[/quote]

+1 on the Venom!

My band do Countess Bathory but we play it in D. Think they slack tune, so it sounds Eb but is played in D position on the instrument.