Why become a member? ×

The mystery of the missing owner...

jmstone

I posted something about my Ibanez Roadster a while back:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45076&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45076&st=0[/url]

I was borrowing it from the guitarist in my band (who in turn was borrowing it from his Dad's church - the church having upgraded all its instruments and apparently having no need for such a tatty instrument!?)...

Anyway, since that time, the guitarist has mysteriously disappeared (he slowly dropped out of coming to rehearsals, making excuses at the last minute - we suspect his girlfriend was unhappy with the band in some way).

We now have a new guitarist, but I still have this bass, which I really like, but I'm in a kind of strange situation with it - not having paid for it, it isn't mine, so I feel ambivalent about spending money on it - even buying new strings. I have repeatedly emailed our ex-guitarist, and have now emailed the church on 2 email addresses I found on the web, but have been met with radio silence...

So, how do I play this? I'm half thinking it would be easiest to drop it over to the Church so I don't have to worry about it anymore if only they would bother to answer an email.. or maybe I should just treat it as my own (with the exception of selling it!) until (if) they ask for it back?

I don't think, you should 'feel' guilty in any way - you've contacted both the Guitarist and the Church, but you got silence. Furthermore, as you've mentioned, Church upgraded it's equipment, so they don't actually need that [i]ol' Ibby[/i] (which I clearly understand).

I'd say - enjoy da bass, mate! :)

Faith.

I would suggest either phoning the church or going there in person. You're much more likely to get a response that way, since they're obviously a bit lax about checking/replying to e-mails. It might be worth getting in touch with your mate's dad as well, since he'll presumably know who at the church you should speak to.

[quote name='lozbass' post='575248' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:46 AM']I'd take it over to the Church and explain the situation to whomever is in charge. If you want the bass, indicate that this is the case and offer to make a reasonable donation to Church funds.[/quote]

+1. Best way forward. Done the right thing, with a cheap bass as well.

[quote name='lozbass' post='575248' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:46 AM']If you want the bass, indicate that this is the case and offer to make a reasonable donation to Church funds.[/quote]

...so that they can cover up more child sexual abuse.

Steal it I say. Then play some of that "core" music (deathcore? shitcore? rapecore? I dunno). At midnight. On top of a grave.

[quote name='lozbass' post='575248' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:46 AM']I'd take it over to the Church and explain the situation to whomever is in charge. If you want the bass, indicate that this is the case and offer to make a reasonable donation to Church funds.[/quote]

+Twelvety!
... Like John and Loz said!...
....make sure you get proof of ownership!

Edited by MB1

• 3 weeks later...

So just to update everyone, I left a message on the answerphone for the church, and the pastor has texted me to ask how much I wanted to pay for it.. So now I am the proud owner of a slightly tatty, but perfectly usable Ibanez Roadster ('79) for the princely sum of £120!

James