Why become a member? ×

Want to join my first band during uni

arabassist

Hello,

The idea of a band never appealed to me, mainly because of A-level work, but after seeing bassists play on stage i have the back of my mind telling me "Gowan son, yuo can do be'er dan dat!" (mainly because ive only seen indie rock acts play...so most of the time the bass isnt that 'difficult'). I also think it will be a good oppurtunity to develop skills and have a lot of fun of course. I'm hoping when i go to manchester uni (IF i go to manchester uni) i wanna join a local band and gig.

However there are more thoughts at the back of my mind worrying me:

Prob no. 1: I'm 18, been playing for 16 months and i've never been in a band and never gigged in my life before. somebody has to start somewhere tho! how much of a problem would this be?

Prob no. 2: I really do not understand the electronics of bass. its all these techincal things that get me confused. i play at home with an ashdown perfect ten practice amp, so the only thing i know is: turn on amp, plug in bass, change EQ on amp for desired tone, change volume & tone on bass - you're laughing. what else do i really need to know? ive never used an effects pedal before (i borrow my mates guitar amp and use the overdrive and other crap on it if i 'need' to)

Prob no. 3: i dont know much theory. for the past couple of months ive stopped learning covers of songs, and begun improvising and messing around with scales, doublestops and triads (ive just been messing round and listening to what sounds and 'feels' right). ive always been pestering my mates, asking Q's about theory and music writing etc. how much more theory should i familiarise with myself?

I've always been praised for my fingerpicking and the amount of notes im able to pump out, so i dont think my playing technique is much of a problem. i cant slap, so i dont think Level 42 would be happy to have me fill in for Mr. King when he's got swine flu.

In terms of gear, i've got two basses (see sig). i'm thinking of buying a third one (or change the PUPs on the jazz) if i get my scholarship money (i need three A's :) )

My main concern is, i dont wanna dissappoint any band im joining in, and i dont wanna look like an ignorant person who doesnt know the difference between fretting the fretboard or his arse.

Cheers
Ahmed

Edited by arabassist

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='570542' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:46 AM']I would say 300W to be comfortable but I have got away with 150W. Now I have 1350W to be sure :)

If you're low on cash look for a second hand Peavey TNT bomb proof.[/quote]

+1 on used peavey gear, just go on ebay and find the most powerful bass amp in your price range. That should do it.

As for being in a band in uni, i'm just now getting into my first "proper" band really and i'm about to start uni too. My mate preston who plays the bass (and is on here occasionaly too) is off to the same uni as me and the guitar player is in the year below us so it should be good. I might try and have a go at getting into another band with people i'll meet at uni too, or adding to the current one as we have a distinct lack of a singer and 2nd guitar player. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='ahpook' post='570532' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:40 AM']nothing improves your playing like being in a band.[/quote]
+ the big one. It's stops you noodling over the same stuff when you practice and enforces some discipline, eg. must learn a particular song by the next rehearsal. Also playing with other people makes you under stand the role of the bass within a song better, pick up hints and tips from other musicians but most importantly is tremendous fun!

[quote]I agree with the above - as a minimum you *may* get away with 100w but it depends how loud the band you join are. One loud drummer or guitarist and you are out the game! To me the whole point of playing an instrument is to play with other musicians[/quote]

to be honest im not a fan of too loud music, like i dont see myself in massively loud indie rock...i think i would much prefer being in something more mellow (its cheaper)

Edited by arabassist

Get the biggest amp you can afford (S/h Peavey, great value for money) The Combo 300 is a killer.

Google any tech/electronics questions you're too embarrased to ask although there's no need to be.

Any advice on where to start with theory will be gladly given on the forums here. There are a great number of great players and teachers here. (Not me)

Find a band where you actually like the people and the music you're going to be playing

Don't ask them what colour you are.

[quote name='arabassist' post='570524' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:31 AM']Prob no. 1: ... been playing for 16 months and i've never been in a band ...

Prob no. 2: ... what else do i really need to know? ive never used an effects pedal before ...

Prob no. 3: ... i dont know much theory ...

... praised for my fingerpicking and the amount of notes im able to pump out ...

... i've got two basses ...

... i dont wanna dissappoint any band im joining in ...[/quote]

My tupp'orth:

Prob #1 - I joined my first band after 20 months, felt I was ready for it. I was.

Prob #2 - Nothing. You know enough to get started and that's ... erm ... enough to get you started. Worry about FX later.

Prob #3 - One of the great things about being 18 is that you have a LOT of time to learn theory. Definitely do it, but don't let lack of theory hold you back.

Amount of notes? Some of the best bass playing is minimalist; it's often about what you leave OUT.

Two basses? Great! Stop there for a while and see what a year of playing in a band leaves you needing. THEN go looking for another bass.

Disappoint? Leave out an 's' and don't worry about it - chances are you'll all be at much the same level and you can learn together. If the rest of the band are sneering and critical, then you joined the wrong band. Walk away.

Good luck.

Agree with some of the other points. Don`t but anymore basses, get a Asdown Mag 3oo or a Peavey amp as even though you want to play in a more mellow band you will still need some bottom end especially if there are nessecary evils like a drummer involved.

Get out there and do it as you will learn a lot quicker, have a good laugh and women love guys that play guitar, until they realise that you play bass and they turn their attention to the lead guitarist. :)

Jez

I started playing at uni and within 3 months I had gigged and been in the studio, if you want to do it, just do it, don't worry about being rubbish, I am sure I was proper rubbish to start off with.

ah ok, cheers everyone, thats quite reassuring

[quote]have a good laugh and women love guys that play guitar, until they realise that you play bass and they turn their attention to the lead guitarist. :)[/quote]

haha, but ours are 6 inches longer :brow:

[quote]Don't ask them what colour you are.[/quote]

lol, my beigey/olivey skin will help me stand out on stage :wub:

Edited by arabassist

Go for it!

Bassists are relatively rare, so you will probably have people beating down your door regardless of how good you are.

I started playing bass in my current band having had 0 months experience (was playing guitar, but we couldn't find a reasonable bassist, so I borrowed a bass from a friend). I was gigging within 3 months of swapping instruments!

Make sure you are happy with 1) The people in the band, 2) The kind of music they play. Sure, you might spend an extra few months looking for the right band, but it's better to join one you are happy with than join the first one that comes along and spend months or years regretting it...

Oh.. most importantly, make sure you get on with the drummer and that he/she plays in time!!

James

[quote name='arabassist' post='570524' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:31 AM']Prob no. 1: I'm 18, been playing for 16 months and i've never been in a band and never gigged in my life before. ...how much of a problem would this be?

Prob no. 2: I really do not understand the electronics of bass ... the only thing i know is: turn on amp, plug in bass, change EQ on amp for desired tone, change volume & tone on bass - what else do I need to know?

Prob no. 3: i dont know much theory.... messing around with scales, doublestops and triads (ive just been messing round and listening to what sounds and 'feels' right).[/quote]

1. No problem at all. Everybody has to start sometime. If they didn't, then there wouldn't be any gigging bass players.

2. Er...that's pretty much all there is. You're done. As for effects, you may not need any - that all depends on the genre of music you're going to be playing.

3. Like many people, I started gigging without even knowing there was even such a thing as '[i]theory[/i]'. So, again, you're way ahead of the game.

You don't need more than 2 basses. One to play, one spare for emergencies. Just chop your practice amp in and score yourself a rig that'll chuck out min 300w, with a DI out if poss. Maybe get a little compressor if your new (s/h) amp doesn't have one built in.

Yup, you're ready.

Edited by skankdelvar