Why become a member? ×

The 'How high is your action?' thread - get involved!

wateroftyne

Hi all

in response to a suggestion from Mr. Claber in another thread, it would be nice to know what people mean when they say their action is 'low', 'medium' or 'high'.

So.. let's take a straw poll.

Here's the rules:

Measure the distance in mm from the top of the fret (or the board, if it's fretless) to the bottom of the 'E' string at the 3rd, 12th & 17th frets.

Post the details here, along with the type of bass, type of string, and wether you consider your action to be 'low', 'medium' or 'high'.

I'll go first:

'71 Fender Precision, Rosewood, La Bella FL flats .043, .060, .082, .104:
1mm, 3mm, 4mm
Medium

'73 Fender Precision, Maple, La Bella FL flats .043, .060, .082, .104:
2mm, 4mm, 5mm
Medium

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, La Bella FL flats .043, .060, .082, .104:
1mm, 6mm, 6mm
Medium (neck hasn't been tweaked to accommodate flats)

'71 Fender Fretless Precision, Ebony, La Bella FL flats .043, .060, .082, .104:
2mm, 4mm, 4mm
Medium

[quote name='BB2000' post='569631' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:41 PM']Distance from strings (EADG) to PUP poles would be real interesting as well, and whether bass is active or passive.[/quote]

That's a different issue though - one for another thread!

Ped, am surprised that your action is as high as that - just goes to show how the lighter string gauge makes it feel lower.

Alex

Yeah so was I - actually my low D string is visibly higher than the rest - if we were talking the high D and G it would be far lower (like the popping strings as low as possible)

G string is a shade over 1mm at the 17th...

Cheers
ped

Maybe some foo' could bung the data in a spreadsheet and make all kinds of entertaining 3D charts with the data!! maybe we should each measure our highest and lowest strings to get a better overall picture? Or is that getting complicated!!

ped

Ah I forgot - you're tuning that .095 down to D, so way lower in tension than my 2" longer .104 tuned to E.

Just looked up a thread from the past: [url="http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/707909"]http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/707909[/url]

And I see my '87 Warwick Streamer with 45-105 s/s rounds was at 2.8mm at the 12th fret.

Whilst my Hohner Jack frankenfretless (also with 45-105 s/s rounds) was at 6.3mm at the 12th. Good exercise! :)

Alex

Home made walnut thing, Dunlop 45-105 nickel roundwounds;
2mm, 3.5mm, 4mm.
Medium (was quite a bit higher until a couple of weeks ago)

Newly acquired Fender Highway One Jazz, 45-100 D'Addario Chromes flatwounds;
1mm, 2.5mm, 3mm.
This is low by my standards. It's still pretty much as it came from the shop, so I guess that's the factory spec.

Can measure my double bass if anyone's curious...

I knew my feeler gauges would come in handy one day...

Ibanez BTB775PB:
D'Addario Chromes (flats) ECB81-5SL .045/.065/.080/.100/.132
35" scale, tuned BEADG
3rd: 1.6mm
12th: 2.6mm
17th: 2.8mm
(all measured on the B string -- can't get the feeler gauges to the E accurately!)
I call that Low. In fact, I want to raise it a touch.

Music Man SUB 4:
D'Addario Nickel Rounds EXL160-5 (with the A string unused) .050/.070/.105/.135
34" scale, tuned CGDA (in fifths)
3rd: 1.7mm
12th: 3.2mm
17th: 3.3mm
Low (It's the absolute lowest it can go for me, because I play this bass HARD with a pick. Any lower and it buzzes like a wasp in a copper pipe.)

Squier VM Jazz fretless:
Thomastik Jazz Flats JF344 .043/.056/.070/.100
34" scale, tuned EADG
3rd: 1.9mm
12th: 3.4mm
17th: 3.5mm
Medium
(but could be much lower at the 3rd if I filed the nut down a bit)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='569618' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:16 PM']'71 Fender Fretless Precision, Ebony, La Bella FL flats .043, .060, .082, .104:
2mm, 4mm, 4mm
Medium[/quote]
Glad to see the half-rounds have come off. You didn't get a chance to measure it with them on, did you? They were completely unplayably low to me.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='569753' date='Aug 15 2009, 09:47 AM']Glad to see the half-rounds have come off. You didn't get a chance to measure it with them on, did you? They were completely unplayably low to me.[/quote]
Nah.. those strings were hopeless. I've burned them.

I've put a month-old set of La Bellas on it and it's come alive again...

Smith BSR5J
1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2mm at the 3, 12, 17, 24 frets respectively. Low. Can't remember which strings. Hi-Beams perhaps.

Groove Shoppe GS5
1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm 2.5mm at the 3, 12, 17, 24 frets respectively. (and was lower when I got it). Low+. Elixirs 135's

MTD 535
1mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm at the 3, 12, 17, 21 frets respectively. Low to Low-. Elite Players nickels. 125 set i think

F BN5
1mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 2.75 at the 3, 12, 17, 21 frets respectively. Low+. La Bella Supersteps that were on it when I got it.

Soz, I don't have time to do this properly.
All my basses are about 3-3.5mm at the 12th fret which I consider to be MEDIUM action.

All my basses tune EbAbDbGb have nickel rounds 45-105.
My basses tuned DGCF (or CGCF) have nickel rounds 50-110.

Strings are mainly Elites.

ps I have my acoustic bass much higher for a better workout and more unamped volume.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='569776' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:28 AM']:rolleyes:
That's astonishing. Have you had your plucking fingers surgically replaced with feathers?[/quote]

it's not bad :) - I actually only got it this low recently after having the bass for 2.5years. I went with a slightly lighter gauge than usual, and some nickel strings for a slightly less bright tone.
I actually tend to dig in when I play, but if I use a lighter touch there's not much fret noise at all.

The measurments are not highly accurate, so I was probably going to the nearest 0.25mm - but saying that, it's now got the lowest of the basses I have.

Hmmm... I guess the action on the Sadowsky may not come as a surprise considering comments in another thread but here goes;

Sadowsky Metro 'PJ', (I 'think') Sadowsky blues .040, .060, .080, .110:
0.8mm, 1.5mm, 1.5mm
Ahem... Low :)

Zon Sonus, DR Sunbeams .045, .065, .085, .105:
0.7mm, 1.5mm, 1.6mm
Low

Bolin NS4, DR Sunbeams .045, .065, .085, .105:
0.8mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm
Low

Warwick Streamer Stage I (Owld Red), DR Sunbeams .045, .065, .085, .105:
1.0mm, 2.0mm, 2.0mm
Medium

Warwick Streamer Stage II, DR Sunbeams .045, .065, .085, .105:
1.0mm, 1.6mm, 1.6mm
Low

I have an engineering mate who loaned me some kit to take the measurements so I'm fairly confident in the accuracy. :lol:

<edit>

Just looked back at other actions on this thread... I'll stop trying to get mine lower I think! :rolleyes:

Edited by warwickhunt

On my Tarrantino upright it measures 6, 9, 9mm on the E string. Take off the E capo so the string becomes a low C and it jumps to 12, 12, 11mm for the same positions. Scale length is 110cm/134cm extended. Strings are heavy Pirastro original flatchromes. Height wise it's a medium orchestral setup but the string length is quite big. I've got big hands though.

Haven't measured the electrics yet, though I'd consider them medium. I can't play dynamics with anything too low.

Here are mine- I used a tape measure, so not as accurate as I'd like!

Both are passive, in standard EADG tuning, and strung with dead-sounding D'addario EXL170 nickelwounds (45,65,80,100). The strings on the Squier are particularly old- they've been on 2 other basses already! :)

'83 (I think!) Squier JV Precision bass: 1.5mm, 3.5mm, 4mm. MEDIUM action IMO.

'98 Fender USA Stack-knob Jazz Bass reissue (Nordstrand NJ4 pickups): 2mm, 5mm, 5mm. MEDIUM-HIGH action IMO.

EDIT: I'd say that I play fingerstyle most of the time, but I also like to get out the pick for heavier stuff... :rolleyes:

Edited by Etienne