Why become a member? ×

Learning Songs

thunderbird13

Hi,

I've just jointed a new band and although most of the songs are straightforward rock they are all around the 7 minute mark with lots of different parts to each song. At the moment I'm learning them just by counting the various bits out loud e.g. 6 on the E riff followed by 8 on the A riff then 2 on the D riff and then playing them at home over and over again until they become second nature then I can worry about feel and putting fills in. This is taking me ages to learn and I wondered if anyone has come across an easier method to learn structures

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='566999' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:20 PM']Sounds like the best way to me. Learn the chord changes, then put in the fills. The more you learn songs, the easier it gets. A Tascam CD-BT bass trainer will make it easier, as it has a useful looping feature.[/quote]
+1 on the trainer. I have the MP3 version which is great. You can also slow things down without changing pitch which is useful for those tricky bits.

If there are words learn those as well, even if you aren't going to sing them. Will help with knowing when the changes will come.

Seriously, write it down, learn it from memory, say it out loud, put it in your bed, write it back-to-front on your forehead so that when you look in the mirror in the morning you can see it there, write it on the door of your toilet so that whenever you're on the loo you can read it, just learn the damn songs!

I agree with writing them down its just that whenever I play the songs I'm feel that I'm playing very mechanically and trying to anticipate the next change by thinking too much about it rather than grooving. I suppose its just a matter of jamming it through and getting comfortable with the material which is quite complicated. Just seems to take me ages to get to that stage !!! :)

As far as the Tascam CD-BT is concerned I have tried Windows Media Player which will slow songs down up to 50 % although I dont really find that useful , does the Tascam do it differently that WMP ?

Any of these slowing down and looping things (actually, mostly the bit that just lets you keep starting at a particular point) help enormously. You can get the reasonably expensive Tascam thing or software to do it on your computer.

I find out / work out / guess the chord progressions and write them down ( e.g. Verse | A | A | Cm | Cm | repeat x2) plus any other vital notes (e.g. bass comes in 2nd time through verse 1). Just stuff to help me remember. It doesn't even need to be spot on accurate. The act of doing this forces you to listen properly and 'get' the form of the song. Also, don't underestimate the power of actually listening to the song. If you are not familiar with the songs, put them on your iPod and just listen to them everywhere you go until you are sick of hearing them.

I have to fight the temptation to start by picking up my bass first - especially when I'm unfamiliar with the track. What seems to be most productive is to really listen to the track as background music while going about your daily business which makes me far more productive when I do actually sit down with the music and my bass.

I burn the tracks to a CD and put it in my car stereo and on my mp3 player when I'm walking to work. The, when I've heard each track a good dozen-or-so times and It's worked its way into my subconsious I put that CD in my Tascam Bass Trainer and actually pick up a bass to work it out. Far more productive as I'm not trying to work out the notes at the same time as the arrangement.

I've also found that If I write down the notes and arrangement that I rely too much on that sheet and have trouble committing it to memory. Might be different for others though.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='567697' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:48 AM']As far as the Tascam CD-BT is concerned I have tried Windows Media Player which will slow songs down up to 50 % although I dont really find that useful , does the Tascam do it differently that WMP ?[/quote]
I haven't tried it with WMP so don't know if it does this, but you need something that slows down while keeping the pitch the same. The Tascam does this (and other similar pieces of kit) and as thepurpleblob says you can also get software that does it on your PC for much less (or zero) cost.

All the advise is useful (I don't have a tascam gadget myself :) ) but all the stuff is the only way. I also find that listening to the song on different players helps..sounds strange but your car's CD player will bring out different frequencies than your computers speakers will or your home hi fi, Ipod etc. Quite often you'll be struggling to hear what's going on but then you listen to it again somewhere else and there it is. How often have you had the "I never heard that before" experience....Probably because you never heard it on that particular hi fi before. I have a really crappy portable CD player, it has virtually no bass response at all. But that's great because once I've learnt the song I can use that to play along with and you're not competing against the existing bass line - bass karaoke if you like.

Keep at it, it'll come.

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='567833' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:00 PM']I have a really crappy portable CD player, it has virtually no bass response at all. But that's great because once I've learnt the song I can use that to play along with and you're not competing against the existing bass line - bass karaoke if you like.[/quote]

Thats a good idea

As for repeated listening I have been doing that but I'm at the stage where I 'm sick of hearing them now - prob my mind telling me to take a break for a while !

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='567713' date='Aug 13 2009, 09:58 AM']....I find out / work out / guess the chord progressions and write them down....[/quote]
+1. Make sure you're all learning the same version. That crops up so many times; ie the studio vs live version!! Chart the number, bars, chords, stops, riffs, etc and make sure you're ok with the fingering. Then it's just a slog.

[quote name='TimR' post='567326' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:31 PM']Put them on an MP3 player and listen to the songs until they're embedded in your head, don't over-think them counting etc Get he feel. Then get your bass out.[/quote]

+1 here. I get all the songs slotted in the brain-box first before I start playing. You should be able to "listen" to the whole song in your head.

[quote name='TimR' post='567326' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:31 PM']Put them on an MP3 player and listen to the songs until they're embedded in your head, don't over-think them counting etc Get he feel. Then get your bass out.[/quote]
+1. That way, you're playing the song, not a collection of parts...

[quote name='chris_b' post='570399' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:03 AM']+1. Make sure you're all learning the same version. That crops up so many times; ie the studio vs live version!! Chart the number, bars, chords, stops, riffs, etc and make sure you're ok with the fingering. Then it's just a slog.[/quote]

And make sure you learn it in the same agreed key! We agreed to play Basket Case by Green Day, so I transpose it up a semi-tone so I don't have to fanny around with different tunings, one guitarist tunes down to Eflat to play along with the record and the other guitarist plays it in Eflat but with standard tuning. Needless to say, first run through at rehearsal was not great!

My favourite is a chord chart with the fills or tricks detailed but that is because a lot of my gigs are like this anyway..
I can see why this might be harder to register back to memory as you can rely on pads as a kind of crutch..

But in time, you can just develop a shorthand and use it as a prompt and not something you need for every bar..
This is good practise if you every see yourself in a more formal sitiuation so get in the habit of making notes and maybe use the numbers method
where the route of the key is 1, 4th =4, 5th =5 etc etc

Makes transposing really easy as well ...