Why become a member? ×

Am I too big!?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='562072' date='Aug 6 2009, 04:39 PM']Allo!
Played a storming charity gig last weekend and one of the girlies took the following pic!

I recall many years ago that my StingRay seemed much bigger.....anyone else finding this to be the case! I think its called MAS (middle age spread)!
Nick[/quote]

looks perfect to me
nice and high and close to the chest
cheers

[quote name='skipper' post='562321' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:11 PM']Does that not hurt your wrist playing that high? Sometimes I try to keep the strap short but my wrist starts to kill if I play any more that about a half hour.[/quote]

I've got massive thick wrists - too many years playing with my........bass! Seriously, I used to wear it much higher than that! Paul Denman who plays with Sade is a big influence on me! Its funny, as a skinny teenager, my basses looked so much bigger and nowadays, the StingRay looks like a Thumb bass in size! I'm only 17 (stone!).

Bring back my youth!!!

Nick

My main bass is a Thumb and it's partly because it's as skinny as I am (luckily I love the sound). Proper-size basses (Precisions and Stingrays particularly) always looked way too big on me but the Thumb looks right. I'm 35 now and recently sold a Stingray fretless that still looked too big. I'm jealous of you and other big people!

For the record I'm 6'2" and currently about 12 stone, which is the most I've ever weighed.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='562477' date='Aug 7 2009, 03:03 AM']My main bass is a Thumb and it's partly because it's as skinny as I am (luckily I love the sound). Proper-size basses (Precisions and Stingrays particularly) always looked way too big on me but the Thumb looks right. I'm 35 now and recently sold a Stingray fretless that still looked too big. I'm jealous of you and other big people!

For the record I'm 6'2" and currently about 12 stone, which is the most I've ever weighed.[/quote]

I'm not that tall funnily enough, (5' 11 and a half"!) but I've turned into *Chris Squire build-wise - just under 17 stone which according to my nursing team is obese in terms of BMI. I'm 38 but look much older due to baldness/greyness!

* he was very skinny back in the 70's and now humungus!

[quote]Actually it was outside! The pub has a covered patio area - fantastic place - the Angel Inn at Yarwell, near Wansford, Peterborough. However, I do wear sunglasses indoors too![/quote]

It just hurts more when he bumps into things...

Nah mate, you want one of these...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='562766' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:44 PM']. I'm 38 but look much older due to baldness/greyness![/quote]

Shave it all off mate, seriously you will never look back.

I used to be as thin as a pin but "spread" a few years ago and Jesus its hard to shift but its going, I've lost 1.5 stones this last couple of months just not eating Chinese or chocolate and cycling about 5 times a week. Also returned to kayaking which does wonders for flattening your gut :)

ATB

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='564005' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:36 AM']Shave it all off mate, seriously you will never look back.

I used to be as thin as a pin but "spread" a few years ago and Jesus its hard to shift but its going, I've lost 1.5 stones this last couple of months just not eating Chinese or chocolate and cycling about 5 times a week. Also returned to kayaking which does wonders for flattening your gut :rolleyes:

ATB

Dave[/quote]

Yep... as a 45 year old baldy, I couldn't agree more. DIY clippers - shortest setting, no guard. Job done :) I just need to work on not being a fat b*st*rd now though. Empire biscuits (ok - and most other buns and cake) are my addiction !

[quote name='cd_david' post='564005' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:36 AM']I used to be as thin as a pin but "spread" a few years ago and Jesus its hard to shift but its going,[/quote]

Yeah I'd never had an ounce of fat on me until a couple of years ago, and it bothers me that I have a few little collections of wobbly stuff turning up under my skin now.

Makes it easier to buy trousers, but it's still got to go. I'm not sure where it's coming from because my lifestyle hasn't changed at all.

I'm 6'3" and 18st last time I looked, that's just horrendous.

I've always been a large chap, but there's no excuse for the size of my belly currently. Believe it or not maybe 6-7 years ago I was fit as a fiddle. I used to go mountain biking and to the gym most nights of the week, but since the kids came along that all went out of the window. I played American football for many years too in the 90s, but that's just resulted in my knees being almost unusable these days, and another excuse for not going out on my bike which is gathering dust in the shed.

To top it all, I'm almost certainly about to be confirmed as type 2 diabetic, which will mean a serious change in my diet. So I guess that'll get the weight down a bit.