Why become a member? ×

Getting a DJ5.

dave_bass5

I hope so. Im getting on really well with the P5 neck these days but i know the DJ5 will be even more comfortable.
Tone wise the P5 and Elixirs are perfect so im not sure about the jazz tone but i knew that beofre i ordered it. It wil be nice have a bit more bite in my tone for some songs so yeah, it will make a nice change.
Very tempted to keep the P5 now but if it doesnt get used ill get rid of it.

In a way im glad we nearly always use our small PA as its become second nature ot mix from the stage. It always throws me when we use someone elses as it sounds totally different on stage. But like you say, as long as its good out fornt you cant complain too much.

Is that The Fiddlers Elbow in Kentish town? If so keep me posted. Ive a couple one sat off in Oct and if its during the week i should be able to make it (other than thursdays during school term)

Well, its here.
I picked it up from Alex this morning. First impression was not good im afraid.
I think i was shocked at how small it was and it reminded of one of those 3/4 guitars Argo sell. Its also pretty light.
But after sitting down with it im very happy. Its nice to have a Lakland neck again. Ive been saying recently how well im getting on with the P5 but after a few min's on the DJ5 i now remember why i wanted one.
Very fast neck and i prefer the smaller fret wire Lakalnd use. I had forgotten about that and i think this makes a huge difference. I still like the P5 neck but after playing the DJ5 for a few mins the P5 now feel "clunky" to me.
I cant tell if there is a difference between the DJ5 neck and the 5501/JO% neck. There is spec wise but not sure it really makes a difference. Certainly my worries were put to rest once i started playing it.
Ive not plugged it in to an amp yet, although i played it through my PC using guitar rig in to headphones. Lovely tone but i will change the strings for Elixirs once i get back off holiday. Im pretty sure the Elixirs have more punch and i like the higher tension. For now though the Lakland strings are fine. I used to use them all the time on my 55-01.

Finish is perfect and im hoping the sparkle with bring it to life under stage lighting.
Really looking forward to gigging it tonight.

Ive taken a few ropey pics quickly but ill do some better ones when i get back. Im also ordering a Black scratch plate for it as soon as i can.

For those wondering whats going to happen to the P5. Im almost sure ill sell it. Ill know after next Sats gig but ive already had 4 people interested and it looks like the price will be around £720.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Platypus' post='584521' date='Aug 29 2009, 02:45 PM']Damn fine DJ5 you have there, Dave[/quote]

Thanks.
I've been playing it for the past hour, just to get used to it but to be honest it feels so easy to play i dont have to bother.
Cant say the 35" neck is a problem either.

The only issue i have (and im going to sound stupid saying it) is that its not a P tone. I can hear that "something" in the tone that i didnt really like before with my HW1 Jazz. Ill get used to it though and it doesntt put me off at all as i knew it would be there.
It also seems ot hang really well on the strap. I had read that these things are heavy but from memory its lighter than my old Duck Dunn. Ill get around to weighing it at some point.

I just compared the tone with my HW1 and the DJ5 has the edge in terms of depth and clarity but then it has new strings on it.

Its certainly a wise purshase, for the neck if nothing esle. I expect ill be overplaying to night ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

Hey all.

Just to let you know (if your still interested ;-) that ive just ordered a Nordstrand NP5 for the DJ5.
After two gigs ive decided i really want to keep with the P tone, the DJ5 tone as it is just isnt cutting it like the P5 did.
Once the pup arrives the Gallery are going to put it in for me and i SHOULD end up with the best bass ive ever owned.

As M20 says, best 5 string neck ive ever played. Better than my old 55-01 from what i can remember. so easy to play.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='593270' date='Sep 8 2009, 08:50 PM']Hey all.

Just to let you know (if your still interested ;-) that ive just ordered a Nordstrand NP5 for the DJ5.
After two gigs ive decided i really want to keep with the P tone, the DJ5 tone as it is just isnt cutting it like the P5 did.
Once the pup arrives the Gallery are going to put it in for me and i SHOULD end up with the best bass ive ever owned.

As M20 says, best 5 string neck ive ever played. Better than my old 55-01 from what i can remember. so easy to play.[/quote]

Watching the outcome with interest. Was speaking to Alex at The Gallery yesterday about your dilemma. Pics definitely required of the finished product.

[quote name='ezbass' post='593626' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:45 AM']Watching the outcome with interest. Was speaking to Alex at The Gallery yesterday about your dilemma. Pics definitely required of the finished product.[/quote]

Thanks. Nothing bad i hope ;-)

I dont think this is any reflection on the Bass itself, just on my taste.
Just after i received my P5 last year i ordered a DJ5 as i wasn't too sure if i could get on with the P5 and really loved the neck on my 55-01. But before the DJ5 arrived i was loving my P5. I was also very apprehensive back then because i really wasn't after a Jazz bass so when it arrived i just sent it straight back, didn't even open it.

I really do love the P tone but i love the DJ5 neck so seeing as Lakland wont make the Bass a lot of us want i guess its up to me to do it for myself.

Actually after a long play last night i was getting to grips with the tone, i think i need to back the front pup off slightly rather than the other way around. Seem like the Lakland pup's have quite a deep low end. Compared to my HW1 the DJ5 is a bit softer sounding, tone wise.

Anyway, the NP5 is due some time next week i guess, its coming from the USA as i managed to save over £35. not sure when ill get time to get it put in as im gigging every weekend until the new year but as i still have my P5 i wont be without a bass.

Ill keep you all posted.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='593632' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:57 AM']Thanks. Nothing bad i hope ;-)[/quote]

Nope not at all.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='593632' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:57 AM']I really do love the P tone but i love the DJ5 neck so seeing as Lakland wont make the Bass a lot of us want i guess its up to me to do it for myself.[/quote]

There is a lot of talk about one happening in a Glaub5 format, but no official word as yet.

[quote name='ezbass' post='593667' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:42 AM']There is a lot of talk about one happening in a Glaub5 format, but no official word as yet.[/quote]

yeah, as there is every year.

It "seems" there will be a USA version out first with the Skyline to possibly follow in 2010 at the earliest.

I was watching the Ask Dan videos last night and he was talking about getting Bob G in to work on the 5 string.

Well the Elixirs arrived today (no thanks to the Post office).
As they are the same gauge as the Laklands i was hoping to get away without any adjustments. The Elixirs are higher tension and so while they went on fine the bass now feels different. I think i have room to lower the action a bit. I might wait until after tomorrows gig as im sure the strings will loosen up a bit once they are played in. Not sure if i should adjust the truss rod as well. I think there might be a bit more pull on the neck now but ill give it a few days before i touch it.

They do improve the tone though. Even just on headphones im much happier with the DJ5 now. The tone is more solid and there is more mid range in the strings. I seem to have a slight dead spot on the 5th fret A string. It just seems slightly less punchy. This was also there with the Lakland strings but its not a big deal.

Its getting there, once the NP5 is put in i think ill be very happy. I might even end up keeping it for longer than 12 months.

Hi Dave,

I've been reading this thread with great interest, as I did with your original P5 thread, too. Are you really going to have the gallery rout out the lovely new bass out for a P pickup at the neck position? P & J combinations are usually great sounding, but have you thought about an inboard/outboard preamp as an alternative to getting this lovely bass butchered?

Personally, I'd go with the Sadowsky outboard everytime, but I've also seen excellent results on a jazz with the audere internal pre as well.

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='596380' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:14 AM']Hi Dave,

I've been reading this thread with great interest, as I did with your original P5 thread, too. Are you really going to have the gallery rout out the lovely new bass out for a P pickup at the neck position? P & J combinations are usually great sounding, but have you thought about an inboard/outboard preamp as an alternative to getting this lovely bass butchered?

Personally, I'd go with the Sadowsky outboard everytime, but I've also seen excellent results on a jazz with the audere internal pre as well.

Rich.[/quote]

Hi Rich.

Yeah, im a pretty unsettled guy, always changing my mind an dnever happy ;-)

You know, i was also thinking its a shame to butcher this new bass but im reallynot that in to the Jazz tone. I Really only got this bass for the neck and looks and even though i knew it was a jazz its not quite what i expected.
I dont want to go active. I had thought about a pre amp but i would still have a jazz tone. I dont use effects and dont really want the extra hassle of batteries or a PSU etc so an outboard preamp isnt really an option.
I really like the sound of a passive P and this is what im aiming for.
Im not even bothered about the bridge pup. Im sure the bass will suit me better with the NP5 in it and for me, tone and playablilty are a lot more improtent than looks.

Saying all that, and remeber ive already brought and paid for the NP5, now i have the Elixirs on i may actually get on a bit better with the tone and not bother putting the NP5 in. Ill have to see how the next few gigs go.

[quote name='ezbass' post='596456' date='Sep 12 2009, 11:58 AM']Sounds like just about every player I know :)[/quote]

Yeah, its our nature i guess.
With me its more a case of being stupid with the credit cards and having too much time on my hands at work. GAS in other words.

But i did find i as starting to struggle with the P5, certainly up near the neck. Couldnt figure out why untill i played the JO5 recently.
So although i didnt really need to spend all this money im happy that i did.

and my moaning about the tone is something i sort of already knew would happen. Saying that, im a lot happier with the new strings on and i guess i need to adjust playing as well as EQ now to fit the new tone.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='596584' date='Sep 12 2009, 02:48 PM']Problem with me is I want a bass for every tone Im after....so P, J and Stingray. Got them, but now I want a 5. Ive had to stop my cab addiction now though....I figured 5 is enough![/quote]
You're going to need a very large flat when you move down to London, Gareth!

[quote name='Clarky' post='596586' date='Sep 12 2009, 02:51 PM']You're going to need a very large flat when you move down to London, Gareth![/quote]

I know :)

Me thinks the cab buying needs to STOP! Basses arent as hard to store. Hence Im still trying to find great small cabs that are modular.

My girlfriend has already said we are aiming for a 2 bedroomed Flat so one room is all my gear. Excellent :rolleyes:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='596601' date='Sep 12 2009, 03:23 PM']What area of London are you liking at?[/quote]

Hi Dave

Well, we LIKED Kentish Town, East Finchley, Epping (even though really far out) and a few other areas.

We want something thats quite residential and safe. If we need to go to the chaos of the nightlife we can via the Tube.

Any ideas?!

I used to live in North finchley and i go to East finchly tube station every Sat to get picked up by my drummer. Both are faily nice areas. I dont konw what price your looking at but i think Finchley (as with a lot of north London) is pretty dear.
Not been to Kentish town for a while but, and this is just my opinion, its not a perticualy nice area. It always looked dirty to me. What with Archway just up the road its just this side of the nice part of North lonodn. Again, just my opininon.
Just up the road you have Hampstead and Highgate, very nice but very costly.

Out of those mentioned all have nice areas but for me east Finchley would be my choice.

Good luck with where ever you get.