Why become a member? ×

Getting a DJ5.

dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='561974' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:57 PM']I have one for sale, you can have for 4 goats, a can of special brew and a packet of space dust :)[/quote]

Overcharging again eh :rolleyes:

If i do ever go back to 4 sting i expect i will buy a DD again. I dont really get on with P necks.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561979' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:09 PM']Overcharging again eh :lol:[/quote]

HAHAHA ok, forget the goats and its yours :):)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561979' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:09 PM']When I do go back to 4 stings I expect I will buy a DD again. I dont really get on with 5 strings.[/quote]

I fixed that quote for you :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='561984' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:18 PM']HAHAHA ok, forget the goats and its yours :):)

I fixed that quote for you :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: Very good. I'll bide my time......and then strike.

EDIT: by the way, i had two that both worked :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='561983' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:12 PM']Good news Dave! Look forward to seeing the pics soon... :)[/quote]

Cheers. i look forward to taking them soon ;-)

Im a bit nervious at buying unseen. Normally i would do it from Thomanns knowing i can send it back but i dont have the option this time. I do feel safe in that i know the Gallery has good back up though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561985' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:20 PM']:lol: :lol: Very good. I'll bide my time......and then strike.

EDIT: by the way, i had two that both worked :-)

[/quote]

HAHA I'll be ready for when you strike :)

You may of [b]HAD[/b] two but I [b]HAVE[/b] one now, as well as a Darryl Jones :rolleyes::):lol::)

[quote name='Linus27' post='561997' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:31 PM']HAHA I'll be ready for when you strike :)

You may of [b]HAD[/b] two but I [b]HAVE[/b] one now, as well as a Darryl Jones :rolleyes::):lol::)[/quote]

Yeah but i have a Fender not a Fender copy :lol:

Of course, come this time next month ill be saying how much better Laklands are to Fenders.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='562003' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:39 PM']Yeah but i have a Fender not a Fender copy :lol:

Of course, come this time next month ill be saying how much better Laklands are to Fenders.[/quote]

Yeah but your Fender is like the original Beetle where Lakland have improved on the Fender design like Porsche did with the Beetle :):):rolleyes::)

[quote name='Linus27' post='562011' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:52 PM']Yeah but your Fender is like the original Beetle where Lakland have improved on the Fender design like Porsche did with the Beetle :):):rolleyes::)[/quote]

Well talking of improving things, anyone here have any experience with the Audere preamps?
I know other preamps have been mentioned already but i really like the idea of the battery indicator amongst other things.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='562199' date='Aug 6 2009, 08:00 PM']Mine sound lush in my DJ4. More than happy with it.[/quote]

Cheers. Can the bass be used if the battery dies? Thats always been my big worry with active basses. Not that ive had it happen.

[quote name='Linus27' post='562219' date='Aug 6 2009, 08:22 PM']Dave, the DJ is passive.[/quote]

Michael, i was refering to your DJ4 as it has the Audere in it and my battery comment above was refering to the DJ5 IF i put a Audere in it.

Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561986' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:20 PM']Im a bit nervious at buying unseen. Normally i would do it from Thomanns knowing i can send it back but i dont have the option this time. I do feel safe in that i know the Gallery has good back up though.[/quote]

When I was in The Gallery in May, they had a few Laklands in there and the DJ5 I tried out played like a dream.. Not sure if they set them up when they arrive or not, but if yours is going into the shop first (before coming onto you) it might be worth asking then to give it a quick check over?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='562234' date='Aug 6 2009, 08:40 PM']Michael, i was refering to your DJ4 as it has the Audere in it and my battery comment above was refering to the DJ5 IF i put a Audere in it.

Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

Mine does not have the Audere in it or not that that I am aware of. Mine is 100% passive as far as I know.

[quote name='Linus27' post='562264' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:19 PM']Mine does not have the Audere in it or not that that I am aware of. Mine is 100% passive as far as I know.[/quote]

OK, i blame the half bottle of rum Ive downed tonight.
I misread your reply about the Lakland pups and thought you was talking about a Aduere in your DJ4.

Nik Yeah, ill probably go and pick it up so im sure they will get it just as i like it.

Bugger. I'm off to bed now.

I agree with what Pete said about the DJ5 with Aeros - fantastic. I've played his white one, albeit acoustically and it has a lovely feel to it and is very resonant; it was ages ago but I remember how nice it was. Dave, if you can't find a used one with Aero pups, I'd suggest going for a special order and getting Chi-Sonic pups put in, they are amazing pickups and are like the Aeros in many respects but have a little bit more oomph and a bit more breathiness to them.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28962&hl=lakland+darryl"]This link[/url] will take you to some pics of mine. I'm yet to try it with an onboard preamp but a DJ-Retro is on the cards.

Not everyone can live with the looks of the Chi-Sonics but I love 'em. And, yes, the bridge pickup [i]is[/i] wider than the neck pickup :)

I guess that's to accommodate a larger magnet so the levels are more balanced?

Edited by Sean

Thanks Sean.
Ive already ordered the bass so no going back now.
From what i ve read i dont think the laklands are going to let me down. Im after a more mellow tone i guess.
The preamp is just an idea at the moment, the main thing is to get a scratchplate ordered soon from jeannies. Tort was the plan but black seems a good choice as well. I also like white pearl ;-)

I dont like the look of Chi's BUT they seem to blend in a bit better on your Bass. They fit in with the block inlays. Very nice bass.
Do you still have the audio clips you posted in that thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for now.
Im picking my DJ5 up from the gallery tomorrow morning. :)
I was very surprised when Alex said it comes with a Lakland gig bag. None of my other Skyline have. Ive seen these bags and they are nice but i doubt ill use it much as i prefer my Musicman gig bag but its a nice bonus.

Ill be taking it to tomorrows gig (with no back up) then im off on holiday for a week.

Ill try and post some pics if i can but if not ill have some of me and the bass in action at next sats gig. Ive managed to get a gig just down the road form where we are staying.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='583966' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:51 PM']Just a quick update for now.
Im picking my DJ5 up from the gallery tomorrow morning. :)
I was very surprised when Alex said it comes with a Lakland gig bag. None of my other Skyline have. Ive seen these bags and they are nice but i doubt ill use it much as i prefer my Musicman gig bag but its a nice bonus.

Ill be taking it to tomorrows gig (with no back up) then im off on holiday for a week.

Ill try and post some pics if i can but if not ill have some of me and the bass in action at next sats gig. Ive managed to get a gig just down the road form where we are staying.[/quote]

Nice one Dave. Can't wait to see it and I hope you have a great gig. Here's one of me from Wednesday's gig with my DJ4,

By the way, I never knew Musicman made a gig bag. Will have to look for one of those.

[quote name='Linus27' post='584120' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:31 PM']Nice one Dave. Can't wait to see it and I hope you have a great gig. Here's one of me from Wednesday's gig with my DJ4,

By the way, I never knew Musicman made a gig bag. Will have to look for one of those.[/quote]

Cheers, I cant wait either.

Im sitting here with the P5 going over some songs for tomorrow night and to be honest i cant think of any way the DJ5 will be better. I just love the P5 these days. Typical.
The gig bag i have was given to me years ago. Its an angular one, very well padded and the strap goes the whole length of the bag so it sits lower than my head. Great for tubes and trains.

Nice pic, what gig was this? any news on the Old st ones yet?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='584123' date='Aug 28 2009, 10:38 PM']Cheers, I cant wait either.

Im sitting here with the P5 going over some songs for tomorrow night and to be honest i cant think of any way the DJ5 will be better. I just love the P5 these days. Typical.
The gig bag i have was given to me years ago. Its an angular one, very well padded and the strap goes the whole length of the bag so it sits lower than my head. Great for tubes and trains.

Nice pic, what gig was this? any news on the Old st ones yet?[/quote]

It will all be in the neck and the tone I bet you. I bet it will feel very different to the P5.

The gig was The Boileroom in Guildford. Cracking gig apart from we could not hear ourselves on stage. It was like the onstage sound was mixed with the front of house sound so a bit mush and turning up just made it worse. The sound out front though was supposed to be great so I guess thats the important bit.

No news on the Old Street gigs but it looks like we have a gig at The Fiddlers Elbow in October.