Why become a member? ×

Getting a DJ5.

dave_bass5

This post is really just me thinking out loud, there isnt any question attached to it although it would be nice to get some feedback.

After meeting up with another member last month with the aim of swapping my P5 for his JO5 but neither of us being 100% sure ive been thinking of getting a Lakland again.
I instantly loved the neck (as its the same as my old 55-01 it felt very comfortable) but didn't like the natural finish, nor did i really want a Jazz bass.
But now, a month later I woke up this morning and decided to find myself a DJ5.
Im swaying towards Black with RW. If i do get that ill get a tort PG. The white also looks nice though, and as my P5 is white i know what to
expect. Again, a tort PG will go on. Not too sure about the Blue. I like it but like Black and white even more.

I feel a bit confused over what to do with my P5 though. On the one hand i could keep it but im pretty sure i will never use it. One the other i should sell it but it would be a shame to do that so soon after getting it (last nov)
I tend to not use a bass again once i get a new one but having both a P and a Jazz in 5 string would be a great combination. But i could certainly do with the money to help pay for the DJ5 and i just know i wont use it any more.

Any thoughts etc. Hows the DJ5 in general?

Cheers.

Before you say anything Michael, yeah, i cracked a lot sooner than expected :-(

Hi Dave

Sent you a PM on this but briefly, I think the DJ5 is a great bass and more instantly useable with lots of different styles of music than the JO5. I also think that Fender have never got the P5 quite right, but that's only going from trying one out about 3 years ago at a Bass Bash somewhere..

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='559764' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:45 PM']Hi Dave

Sent you a PM on this but briefly, I think the DJ5 is a great bass and more instantly useable with lots of different styles of music than the JO5. I also think that Fender have never got the P5 quite right, but that's only going from trying one out about 3 years ago at a Bass Bash somewhere..

Nik[/quote]

Cheer Nik. PM replied to.

Not sure if the P5 you played was the same as mine as this is the 2008 model, could have been one of the older active ones if it was 3 years ago.
Ever since i got rid of my Duck Dunn ive been missing block inlays. Shallow i know but i really do like the look of the DJ5 over the JO5. Id be happy to play either though and as ive just noticed the price difference i may well end up going for a black JO5 instead.

I had a DJ5, black with maple fretboard and it had a great range of tones, especially with the J-Retro. It did growly very well indeed. At one point I had a DJ5 and a JO5. The DJ5 was so much better all round, and lighter, even than the DJ4 I've just sold

Although I played it for a year or so I don't get on with 35-inch scales so it ultimately had to go and I went back to my Status necked Stingray 5. To be honest I have yet to find another 34-inch scale 5-string to equal the SR5.

Thanks for the input Dave.
I intend to stay passive although i have looked in to a J-retro.
Im not really after a growly sound, in fact im not looking for any specific tone really as i like the one i have with my P5 but i do appreciate the more varied tones you can get from a Jazz and will use them.
In the past ive played my HW-1 Jazz with both pups on 90% of the time and this i guess is the tone i'll be using. And i expect any jazz to get it.
For me the deciding factor now seems to be go with a DJ5 for its looks and smaller body, with RW fret board but take a gamble on the feel of the neck or get a JO5 for its familiar neck and also get it in Black and maple. The JO5 is looking like a winner at the moment, partly to do with cost as well.
Both have the same pups now so while there is still a difference in tone i believe its pretty close now.

Righto, just spoke to Alex and there's about a three week deliver time on the Laklands.
Got some good prices so both are affordable (well, in plastic terms ;-) so the decision is now Black sparkle DJ5 with RW or Black JO5 with maple.
And i have to order it tomorrow.
If anyone has a DJ5 could you measure the width of the neck (ie across the top of the neck) at the 12th fret please. I cant to play one in time and want to compare it to my P5.

Cheers.

A maple neck would be fantastic but i dont think i like the look of the block inlays on a maple neck as much as i do on a RW. nor do i think the black headstock would look as nice as a maple one.
I actually like the look of the White/RE was well.

This is what im aiming for (assuming i go for the DJ5).

Edited by dave_bass5

Personally, I love, love, love my DJ5. Never though I would find a bass that would stick and in the time I've owned it (3 years or so) I have also had more than a few other basses to accompany it but every time I go back to the DJ5 and have concluded it's going to be with me for a very long time.

One of the other basses I owned was another DJ5 (rosewood, passive) which I didn't feel anything like the connection with as I do mine (maple, bartolini NTBT pre-amp). It sounded decent and for a passive bass it had loads of tone variation, but lacked a certain something that mine has in the comfort department and, more importantly in the sound. In the end I think it may have been the pick-ups as mine has Aeros in but some DJs shipped with Fralins and nowadays they all come with Lakland pick-ups.

Personally, I think it would be worth trying to find a second hand DJ5 with Aero pick-ups in it.

Oh yeah, comparisons. JO5 has a slightly sweeter tone to it, breathy, 60's-ish and does it really well. DJ5 is much more immediate and attention grabbing and does everything from heavy thump to zingy (without ever being thin). Does the Marcus Miller tone better than the Fender Marcus Millers too, if that's your bag. DJ5 is much more versatile and really knock-out live as it cuts and drives way better than pretty much every other bass I've owned (which is a lot, look through the For Sale forum lol).

You're welcome to come try mine out if you can make it down to sunny Chepstow, it is an epic bass.

Thanks Pete. Dont think ill make it ot Chepstow though but cheers for the offer.
Heavy thump to zing is exactly what im after. The more i read about the Jazz tone the more i think im goin got like what ever i get. Ive been playing my HW-1 Jazz over the past few days to get a feel for the Jazz tone again and whiel ill miss the P thump i agree that a Jazz is more versitile.

Im having to whack the plastic to get this so second hand is probably out of the question. Plus i quite fancy having the Lakland pups and the plek'd neck.
I had no intention of going active again but ive read a lot fo good things about the Audre pre amps, and quite like the blue light LOL. Seriously, having a battery indicator would put my mind at ease. I had a NTMB in my 55-01 but didnt really like it. Could well have been the pups letting ti down though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='560193' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:58 PM']A maple neck would be fantastic but i dont think i like the look of the block inlays on a maple neck as much as i do on a RW. nor do i think the black headstock would look as nice as a maple one.
I actually like the look of the White/RE was well.

This is what im aiming for (assuming i go for the DJ5).
[/quote]

Cool! Thats a pic of a bass I ordered from the dudepit about 5-6 years ago. This was pre all the various shannighans related to the site of late and at a time when the dollar pound exchange rate made it work out to be around £700. That combination is quite frankly one of the best looking you will ever see on a guitar. Nice bass but I moved it on after going back to 4 strings only. The stock Aero pups were a little quiet for my liking but the neck was ace. I think the newer Lakland pickups have a bigger more rounded tone and are certainly superier to the earlier types they used.

Thanks Jonno. It is indeed a very, very nice looking bass. Hope you dont mind me posting that pic.
I found the dudepit photo gallery and there are loads of very nice pics there. Been staring at them for the past couple of days.

Ive now placed the order with the Gallery and paid for the bass so its just the long wait now. Ill of course post pics once it gets here, hopefully by the end of the month.
I went for a Black sparkle with Rosewood. I like the look of the block inlays better with a RW fretboard. Once it gets here ill decide to either get a tort or black scratch plate. Probably tort.

Im really looking forward to getting it, even though its a Jazz and i like Ps'. Since i decided i was going to replace it my P5 has been feeling really nice, great tone and seems easier to on with. funny that.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='559294' date='Aug 3 2009, 03:34 PM']....I feel a bit confused over what to do with my P5 though. On the one hand i could keep it but im pretty sure i will never use it. One the other i should sell it but it would be a shame to do that so soon after getting it (last nov)....[/quote]
I'd put it under the bed. It'll save you buying another when you sell the DJ5!!!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='559294' date='Aug 3 2009, 03:34 PM']Blah Blah Blah some rubbish about Fenders, white basses, too many strings etc etc Blah Blah Blah

Cheers.

[b]Before you say anything Michael, yeah, i cracked a lot sooner than expected :-([/b][/quote]

Your powers are weak old man, together with our Lakland's we can rule the whole of basschat. Now our Lakland's are fully operational, we can rule the forum together. Welcome to the dark side ...... my son :):)

Edited by Linus27

Cheers guys (even Michael, thanks father ;-).

I think ill have to sell the P5 at some point as it wont get used but for now i think under the bad is a good idea. Out of sight out of mind etc. Until the Mastercard bill comes in.

Ive read so many good things about the DJ5 that im not bothered that its a Jazz. Nothing wrong with that of course but its what ive been trying to get away form for the past few years. Im sure im going to love the neck and thats the main reason.

Nancy. When i first saw my P5 i wasnt impressed as i was hoping for a whiter white but i thought it played well And it does and for me that the important thing. If only i hadn't played a JO5 last month i would be more than happy to keep the P5.

It will be nice to get back to Lakland though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561704' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:11 AM']Cheers guys (even Michael, thanks father ;-).

I think ill have to sell the P5 at some point as it wont get used but for now i think under the bad is a good idea. Out of sight out of mind etc. Until the Mastercard bill comes in.

Ive read so many good things about the DJ5 that im not bothered that its a Jazz. Nothing wrong with that of course but its what ive been trying to get away form for the past few years. Im sure im going to love the neck and thats the main reason.

Nancy. When i first saw my P5 i wasnt impressed as i was hoping for a whiter white but i thought it played well And it does and for me that the important thing. If only i hadn't played a JO5 last month i would be more than happy to keep the P5.

It will be nice to get back to Lakland though.[/quote]

This is great news and you will love the Lakland. All we have to do now is fix the string problem and get you back to 4 and you'll be back to being a proper bass player soon again :):)

[quote name='Linus27' post='561741' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:50 AM']This is great news and you will love the Lakland. All we have to do now is fix the string problem and get you back to 4 and you'll be back to being a proper bass player soon again :):)[/quote]

Oi, thats bit off. what do you mean a "proper" bass player. Ive never been insulted in all my life (to my face anyway;-).

Why do i need even 4 strings? I only use one pick. Am i supposed to pluck the thumb rest as well then :rolleyes:

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='561745' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:54 AM']Oi, thats bit off. what do you mean a "proper" bass player. Ive never been insulted in all my life (to my face anyway;-).

Why do i need even 4 strings? I only use one pick. Am i supposed to pluck the thumb rest as well then :rolleyes:[/quote]

hehehehe well a proper car has four wheels, a proper violin has four strings and a proper bass has 4 strings. It's your destiny ...... my son. May the four be with you :):)

[quote name='Linus27' post='561788' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:37 AM']hehehehe well a proper car has four wheels, a proper violin has four strings and a proper bass has 4 strings. It's your destiny ...... my son. May the four be with you :):)[/quote]

Hmm, maybe i should buy a Duck Dunn then :-)