Why become a member? ×

Getting a DJ5.

dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='596653' date='Sep 12 2009, 04:47 PM']I used to live in North finchley and i go to East finchly tube station every Sat to get picked up by my drummer. Both are faily nice areas. I dont konw what price your looking at but i think Finchley (as with a lot of north London) is pretty dear.
Not been to Kentish town for a while but, and this is just my opinion, its not a perticualy nice area. It always looked dirty to me. What with Archway just up the road its just this side of the nice part of North lonodn. Again, just my opininon.
Just up the road you have Hampstead and Highgate, very nice but very costly.

Out of those mentioned all have nice areas but for me east Finchley would be my choice.

Good luck with where ever you get.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice!

I think we need a few more visits to get a feel. We plan to move first/second week of January. New year new start, new band hopefully.

The lass has handed her notice in already for mid-December, so no turning back!

Righto.
Just a quick update on my DJ5.
After doing a few gigs with it now im getting used to the tone. Its still not right and im still going ahead with putting the NP5 but im happier with the tone than i was at first.
I guess it just needs a different EQ and a bit more thought. Im so used to just plugging the P5 in with the EQ mostly flat and not having to touch it throughout the gig. With the DJ5 its quite a deep sound so some low EQ needs backing off but that all changes if i use a pick. Im slowly getting used to not using a pick but i have a long way to go yet.
Im finding the D (5th fret on the A string) seems a bit less punchy and not quite as loud as the notes surrounding it but its not that bad.

Im strugling with strings and set up though. So far ive put ELixirs on it and they sounded great but i felt i lost some playability due to slightly higher tension. I thne put some XLs on and these were good but as they came off my HW1 Jazz they were cut a bit short and while they fit i wouldn't use them to gig in case they came off. I tried my Fender 8250's and these sounded a bit too bright, plus i had some buzz on the E string. As the feel of the bass was so good when i got it im trying to not mess with the set up too much (see below).
Based on some recommendations ive got some GHS Boomers and these sound and feel really nice. But im getting quite a bit of buzz on the E string. Could be that its a .100 rather than a .105 but once i raised the action it seemed a bit high.
When the bass arrived i checked the setup and it was in spec with what Lakland recomend. I know this i sjust a starting point but its the best set up ive ever played so my aim is to keep it as close as possible but with nicks rather than SS strings.
So at the moment ive got the Boomers on but using a XL for the E string. Got some singles coming to make up a full set of XLs and next string change ill put a complete new set on but i cant track down a 5 string long set with a .105 E string.

Anyway, a couple of pics i took tonight with the scratch plate off. Im sending it to Martin Sims to get a black one made, and without the pup hole and ill give it to the Gallery when they put the NP5 in.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ezbass' post='626715' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:01 AM']I am the slowest man alive, I just realised that this is going to be a DJ/PJ :)[/quote]

A DJ/PJ[b]5[/b] if you dont mind ;-)

Its at the Gallery now and im picking it up on 24th Oct and straight off to a gig so ill post back after the gig and let you know what i think.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='626723' date='Oct 15 2009, 10:06 AM']A DJ/PJ[b]5[/b] if you dont mind ;-)

Its at the Gallery now and im picking it up on 24th Oct and straight off to a gig so ill post back after the gig and let you know what i think.[/quote]

My bad :)

Really eager to hear your thoughts on the changes, hope it works out just as you expect. Can't see why it won't, highly respected p/up (even Sadowsky use them) in the hands of a highly skilled workshop, with a neck you already like (a lot), it'll all be good.

[quote name='ezbass' post='626817' date='Oct 15 2009, 12:07 PM']My bad :)

Really eager to hear your thoughts on the changes, hope it works out just as you expect. Can't see why it won't, highly respected p/up (even Sadowsky use them) in the hands of a highly skilled workshop, with a neck you already like (a lot), it'll all be good.[/quote]

Yeah, its going to be fine. My only reservation now is that i was getting used to the Jazz tone and im going to loose that. Guess ill never be happy.
Ive had more good comments about my tone since i got the DJ5 than i had with any other bass. Saying that im not 100% with it myself. While its a Jazz and so different to my P i find the high end gets lost. I think Linus also found that. Its definitely not as clear as my HW1 Jazz.

Still, i much prefer a P and the thump that comes with it. Shame its just a small social club that night.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,stage one is complete.
Got this back on Sat and took it straight off to a gig. It sounded great and im happy i went ahead with it. While its not a Fender P it has a much thicker tone and its close enough.
Ive got the bridge pup on a push pull knob to take it out of circuit when not using it and this works well.
I really love the look of it now as well. I was going for a tort PG but black looks great. The pics really dont do it justice. I found it difficult to get any decent, reflection free shots tonight.

While this was going to be the end of it i now find the bridge pup is picking up a lot of RF noise. While i didn't expect to use it i found the two pups together made a nice tone. I believe this is the norm for a single coil pup although i never noticed it before.
So i guess ill now look in to getting a humbucking pup to go in the bridge position. Also thought about a MM pup instead but not sure i want any more routing done.

Its cost me just over £200 on top of the bass but im happy, for now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Clarky' post='636572' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:48 PM']Hey Dave, looks great in all black! Very stealth. Glad it worked out for the gig last night.[/quote]

Cheers.
We had ot play pretty quiet so the buzz wasn't an issue but it was definitely there when i turned up loud at sound check.
I guess a humbucker is needed.
I also turned the pup round today, simple enough to do and i think it looks better, cant sound there is any difference in tone though.

[quote name='Clarky' post='636572' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:48 PM']Hey Dave, looks great in all black! Very stealth. Glad it worked out for the gig last night.[/quote]
+1

That's gorgeous!

Regarding the RF noise, you might be able to get a noiseless J-style pick up to slot right in to save you all the hassle of routing the body even further?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='636612' date='Oct 25 2009, 11:46 PM']+1

That's gorgeous!

Regarding the RF noise, you might be able to get a noiseless J-style pick up to slot right in to save you all the hassle of routing the body even further?[/quote]

Thanks.
Yes, i was looking at the Nordy's and they do one made for a Fender and its the same length (4") so i might go that route after a few more gigs.
Need to start saving again first ;-)

Looking very nice! Whilst an amount of hum is expected from a single coil p/up, unacceptable levels of RF is not. I'd take it back to the Gallery and compare the hum against other single coil J types to see if it is more than the usual hum and get them to check the wiring (could be a loose earth or similar), that just doesn't sound right to me.

[quote name='ezbass' post='636694' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:47 AM']Looking very nice! Whilst an amount of hum is expected from a single coil p/up, unacceptable levels of RF is not. I'd take it back to the Gallery and compare the hum against other single coil J types to see if it is more than the usual hum and get them to check the wiring (could be a loose earth or similar), that just doesn't sound right to me.[/quote]

Thanks.
Ive emailed kirk at Lakland to see what he thinks as he has experience with this pup arrangement.
Its fine at home but in the shop it was very loud through one amp and not so loud through another.
It was fine before the new pup went in though. I did get a bit but not this much. I dont have the knowledge to say if its right or not. I dont know how adding the split coil would affect it.
The Nordy sounds great though. It seems a bit scooped but matches my Schroeder cabs well and produces a slightly more even tone than my previous P's.

Ill keep you posted. If it has to go back it wont be for another couple of weeks as ill be using it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='637123' date='Oct 26 2009, 06:00 PM']Hey Dave, thats looking super groovy now. Really hope you get the tone you're looking for out of it, they are lovely basses.[/quote]

Cheers Michael.

Not sure ill get the tone i was hoping for but im getting a great tone so thats good enough.

I think with the neck pup a bit closer to the neck its a bit deeper sounding than a normal P, and not sure if you found this but the DJ5 seems to produce a slightly deeper tone anyway (one reason i didn't get on with it in the first place) but this deeper tone from the split coil works really well with the small cabs im using.
Slightly less mids now, scooped slighlty i guess, and i noticed a more traditional bass tone at the gig. It might just be that venue but yeah, im very happy.

Now, phase two has started. Im going to put a Nordy NJ5FS in the bridge position in the next couple of weeks to try and get rid of the RF noise the bridge pup is now picking up, and then its all finished and will probably be in the for sale section before Christmas LOL.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='638946' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:59 AM']Cheers Michael.

Not sure ill get the tone i was hoping for but im getting a great tone so thats good enough.

I think with the neck pup a bit closer to the neck its a bit deeper sounding than a normal P, and not sure if you found this but the DJ5 seems to produce a slightly deeper tone anyway (one reason i didn't get on with it in the first place) but this deeper tone from the split coil works really well with the small cabs im using.
Slightly less mids now, scooped slighlty i guess, and i noticed a more traditional bass tone at the gig. It might just be that venue but yeah, im very happy.

Now, phase two has started. Im going to put a Nordy NJ5FS in the bridge position in the next couple of weeks to try and get rid of the RF noise the bridge pup is now picking up, and then its all finished and will probably be in the for sale section before Christmas LOL.[/quote]

Hey Dave, yep exactly what I found that it had a really deep sound. Molan I think said he found that also when he had one. I found it to deep for my liking. It was still a nice tone but just too deep. Its great your getting a tone that you like though.

[quote name='Linus27' post='638981' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:27 PM']Hey Dave, yep exactly what I found that it had a really deep sound. Molan I think said he found that also when he had one. I found it to deep for my liking. It was still a nice tone but just too deep. Its great your getting a tone that you like though.[/quote]

Yeah, i thought it was the pickups but i guess its the bass. I was quite surprised how different it sounded to my HW1 Jazz.
I remember you mentioning how it wasnt bright enough and not cutting through, i also heard that as well. Just no sparkle there. I did get used to it though and was getting to like it.

Not sure what sound im going to get with both Nordstrands in but i do like the tone with both pups on. Im also glad i put the bridge on a push pull knob as i can hear a slight difference with the rear pup on but turned down.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='639960' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:37 PM']Just ordered a Nordy NJ5FS from Bass Direct and am going to cock it up, i mean fit it myself hopefully if there arent too many wires.[/quote]

Should be easy peasy, just remember to cover than lovely black surface in case of solder splatter!

[quote name='ezbass' post='639975' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:55 PM']Should be easy peasy, just remember to cover than lovely black surface in case of solder splatter![/quote]

Yeah, im pretty confident i can do it.

Ive done pup changes in the past although not on a bass with more than one. As long as its like for like ill be fine.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='638946' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:59 AM']Cheers Michael.

Not sure ill get the tone i was hoping for but im getting a great tone so thats good enough...

Now, phase two has started. Im going to put a Nordy NJ5FS in the bridge position in the next couple of weeks to try and get rid of the RF noise the bridge pup is now picking up, and then its all finished and will probably be in the for sale section before Christmas LOL.[/quote]

Brilliant.
Just read this entire thread. This post summed it up perfectly!
Why do we do it to ourselves??
Good luck with it all. :)

[quote name='chardbass' post='640364' date='Oct 29 2009, 06:39 PM']Brilliant.
Just read this entire thread. This post summed it up perfectly!
Why do we do it to ourselves??
Good luck with it all. :)[/quote]

Cheers.
This time 3 months ago i had what i thought was the Bass that would last me for ever. A year before that i had a Bass that i thought would last me for ever etc etc.

No idea why we do it. For me its really just looking for the bass that will last me for ever. I THINK i might have found it. Then again........