Why become a member? ×

Claypool at work

bubinga5

[quote name='RhysP' post='558873' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:49 PM']I saw Primus supporting Rush on the "Hold your fire" tour at the Birmingham NEC - that was a great night for bass players. :)[/quote]
That'll be the Roll the Bones tour in '92, then :rolleyes:

[quote]Sorry but this guy Shri kicks Claypool's butt - check this mad Indian tabla-bass slap solo:

He's from that band Badmarsh and Shri - check them live they're amazing[/quote]
What a Godawful din. Is he drunk?

Sorry...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='558854' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:35 PM']Urb..i dont agree..Les Claypool doesnt play from his ego...this guy sooo does..and it bores me!! IMO.. i feel that guy is just showing off his amazing chops for the sake of it..dont get me wrong hes good..but hes totally missing the point..

I wonder if his band members are wondering why they are holding up his ego..Les is playing for the music..this guy is playing for himself..Les is better than this guy in a musical sense...

Why do people think they can have amazing technique and amaze people..there is more to bass playing than that...Kick Les's butt he sooo doesnt!!!

He doesnt come close..[/quote]

I took the time to check the other YT songs by Shri and I was really floored by them... shows that he knows how to groove and play in a band situation too. His playing with a bow on the fretless works great too and the whole tabla-atmosphere appeals to me a lot.
Great band and this band is for me certainly a revelation (more than Primus which I always thought to be sloppy and harmonically poor)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='559051' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:58 AM']I took the time to check the other YT songs by Shri and I was really floored by them... shows that he knows how to groove and play in a band situation too. His playing with a bow on the fretless works great too and the whole tabla-atmosphere appeals to me a lot.
Great band and this band is for me certainly a revelation (more than Primus which I always thought to be sloppy and harmonically poor)[/quote]

+1

OK guys I think listening to Shri's slap thing on it's own doesn't really give you an idea of the whole breadth of what he can do - i.e. play tabla and flute incredibly well too - so the point of this slap solo is playing tabla rhythms on the bass. It's a set piece at his gigs and really does sound great live - while the patterns may sound a bit random they are proper Indian rhythms and are riduculously hard to play. Sorry if I sounded disissive of Claypool - I was a huge fan for years and years and learnt a ton of this stuff in the early 90s but actually find him a bit uninspiring today - which is just me - anyway just wanted to defend mr Shri a bit because that clip doesn't really do justice to his overall musicianship - his band is great live but I guess that slappy-wappy stuff has probably already put some of you off. :)

Oh well

Mike

PS not sure where the ego is in this clip but it sounds like music to me:

[quote name='Prosebass' post='558465' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:27 PM']Well ! you learn something new every day, Les Claypool does covers :) ....thanks for that.[/quote]

silly putty....

les has a 8 string Ric, has one of those orange(sunkist?) jazzes

great player, some call sloppy but i wouldnt think so

I'm a big Primus/Claypool fan-have been since I started playing.
The vibrato in the video was done via a Kahler Tremolo.
I've never seen him use a Geddy Lee jazz-i've seen him use a couple of '70's jazz basses though-maybe that's the confusion.

As far as Claypool doing covers,both Primus have released 2 collections of covers-Miscellaneous Debris EP and
Rhinoplasty.
A studio version of The Awakening was on the Album-Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel presents:Highball with the Devil.

[quote name='Doddy' post='559497' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:33 PM']I'm a big Primus/Claypool fan-have been since I started playing.
The vibrato in the video was done via a Kahler Tremolo.
I've never seen him use a Geddy Lee jazz-i've seen him use a couple of '70's jazz basses though-maybe that's the confusion.

As far as Claypool doing covers,both Primus have released 2 collections of covers-Miscellaneous Debris EP and
Rhinoplasty.
A studio version of The Awakening was on the Album-Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel presents:Highball with the Devil.[/quote]

I really dig their version of The Meters' Sissy Strut - fretless wobble a go go... :)

[quote name='urb' post='559424' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:17 PM']while the patterns may sound a bit random they are proper Indian rhythms and are riduculously hard to play.
[/quote]
I knew they were tabla rhythms, but I'd rather hear Swapan Choudary or Zakir Hussain playing them on a tabla, which sounds more musical than it does on a fretless bass. The fact it is ridiculously hard to play is its only merit, a circus act.

Agreed he may be wonderfully musical otherwise but I haven't been bothered to check him out. I will at some point though.

Ok, forgotten how to post this properly, but this is Les's favourite sounding bass ever; not that I'm biased :) (actually I like him on his CTs just as much; I love that grungy, midrangey sound he gets).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOM5YjMZ8w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOM5YjMZ8w[/url]

I love Les; I too saw him on the Roll the Bones tour and I'd never seen anything like him (or Primus for that matter). Who cares if he's sloppy? Genius.

[quote name='Doddy' post='559497' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:33 PM']I've never seen him use a Geddy Lee jazz-i've seen him use a couple of '70's jazz basses though-maybe that's the confusion.[/quote]
Might also be a bit of a joke because of his Geddy Lee "signature" CT

[quote name='silddx' post='559519' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:54 PM']I knew they were tabla rhythms, but I'd rather hear Swapan Choudary or Zakir Hussain playing them on a tabla, which sounds more musical than it does on a fretless bass. The fact it is ridiculously hard to play is its only merit, a circus act.

Agreed he may be wonderfully musical otherwise but I haven't been bothered to check him out. I will at some point though.[/quote]

Then I like this circus-act a lot and even consider it music that inspires me. It sure beats seeing those hundreds of King-Wooten-Miller clones that haven't found anything on their own. Trying to find your own individual voice is the hardest thing there is (Karn, Palladino, Jaco, etc..) but although it's not perfect Shri shows passion and energy in his playing and that's more than I can say about a lot of other bassplayers which I find very boring and who have nothing to say, not even enough for a highschool circus-act.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='558237' date='Aug 2 2009, 03:33 AM']Hes a very interesting character.. Tis great when he wheres the goat horn hat..Does he/has he exclusively played Carl Thompson basses always??[/quote]

with Sausage at least he used 70s Fender Jazz basses and on his 5 gallons of diesel DVD hes giving it some on a Rickenbacker of all things...and people reckon you can't slap 'em! pah!!! sometimes a bit of upright too and don't forget that weird whamola one string thing!!! but in the main its CT basses

c

[quote name='wombatboter' post='559637' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:51 PM']Then I like this circus-act a lot and even consider it music that inspires me. It sure beats seeing those hundreds of King-Wooten-Miller clones that haven't found anything on their own. Trying to find your own individual voice is the hardest thing there is (Karn, Palladino, Jaco, etc..) but although it's not perfect Shri shows passion and energy in his playing and that's more than I can say about a lot of other bassplayers which I find very boring and who have nothing to say, not even enough for a highschool circus-act.[/quote]
Fair comment. I found it uninspiring musically and athletic, but it has its purpose as part of a show, granted. Just expressing my own preference, I'd probably really enjoy his show.

I like Sausage! Temporary Phase is a great tune. I also really dig that stuff he did with Bernie Worrel (Lordy what a player!) from P Funk and oh KFC bucket bonce on the 6 string annoyance.

I noted the earlier comments about who's the best player: Flea or Les, Gordon Brown, Tomato Ketchup etc etc... well for what its worth i believe theres no such thing as who is the best bassists...there is just bassists (I felt i had Yoda influencing my thouhgts momentarily, please excuse me)....oh and emo bassists perhaps.

Funny enough I was once asked who is the best best basser?.....i confidently replied 'Michael Schumacher' of course :)

[quote name='jmesa' post='561948' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:28 PM']That Sausage album is probably my fave out of everything he's done. Brutal bass sound!!!
Siiick!!![/quote]

Sausage were awesome! "Riddles are abound tonight" is a must have album for any Primus fans.

They made this funky video for the title track from that album:
[url="http://www.esnips.com/doc/a2c8aa60-2c3e-4618-8092-c931c0fba1b1"]http://www.esnips.com/doc/a2c8aa60-2c3e-46...92-c931c0fba1b1[/url]

Side One by Adrian Belew is quite cool, it features Claypool on bass and Danny Carey from Tool on drums. It's certainly nothing on the weirdness of Primus but it's cool to hear Claypool and Carey playing together, plus Adrian Belew is a wicked player.