Why become a member? ×

Gibson Victory

beerdragon

Anyone seen one? played one?, i think they look pretty good. the electrics were made by Moog apparently. they must be pretty rare as i dont think i have see on ebay. someone correct me. it's already tomorrow in Oz. :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180369082594"]http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=180369082594[/url]

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='550473' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:53 PM']Anyone seen one? played one?, i think they look pretty good. the electrics were made by Moog apparently.[/quote]

They are nice basses. I've had three, one standard, one artist (both of which I sold on) and a custom - the one I kept.
The look doesn't fit in with my current band, so it rarely gets played. I have considered selling it actually, but it's the kind of bass that I know i'll miss one day if I do.

The electronics are by Tim Shaw by the way. See this page for more about the [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Chuck_Burge_victory.php"]development of the Gibson Victory[/url]

[quote name='Buzz' post='550672' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:51 PM']I'll be suprised if they don't get reissued soon, they look pretty lush.[/quote]

I hope they don't do what they did to the Grabber then - which was fundamentally change several aspects of it - most of all the affordability.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='551619' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:34 AM']Am I the only one who thinks it looks utterly hideous?[/quote]

Wayne, its clearly an '80's hairspray rock' thing..... I haven't seen one Gibson I'd consider buying until this one....

Dont get me wrong they are VERY capable basses but just never floated my boat.....
But then I have a huge soft spot for Fender HM basses, so what do I know....

:)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='552077' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:15 PM']....I never understood why Gibson basses had/have such a low profile compared to Fender. Was it marketing, lack of range or even quality or what???....[/quote]
They sounded terrible and Fenders sounded good. They broke while Fenders bounced. Real men used Fenders, pop groups used Gibsons.

[quote name='chris_b' post='552102' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:40 PM']They sounded terrible and Fenders sounded good. They broke while Fenders bounced. Real men used Fenders, pop groups used Gibsons.[/quote]

You are wrong. Also, I hate generalisations.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='552077' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:15 PM']I never understood why Gibson basses had/have such a low profile compared to Fender.
Was it marketing, lack of range or even quality or what???
Do they currently have a bass in their line up? I think they do an SG style but thats all that springs to mind.

BB[/quote]

They had some early success with the EB models, but short scale turned out to be a dead end, at least for the mass market. Fender undercut them by making Fender-logo basses in Japan and then Mexico. Gibson would only put their brand on US models, so there was never an accessible entry level for young players to aspire to.

I read an interview with the current CEO of Gibson in which he said they wanted to be a premium brand like Cartier or Rolex, which is why they sponsor polo tournaments. So I suppose the strategy is to sell trophy Les Pauls to 40+ company vice presidents who can suddenly afford the guitar they couldn't have as a teenager. Just doesn't sound to me like a company that's serious about making musical instruments.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='552189' date='Jul 26 2009, 11:10 PM']Just doesn't sound to me like a company that's serious about making musical instruments.[/quote]

And Fender are or have ever been?

Fender mass produce a product which just so happens to be an instrument, I wouldn't class that as producing musical instruments in the way you mean it, that award goes to some of the smaller companies and luthiers ala Celinder, Sadowsky, ACG, RIM, Shuker, Status etc....

Gibson at least do seem to fall somewhere inbetween those areas, and also seem to be pushing new technology now they've stopped pushing designs, those Robot guitars are at least innovative.

Gibson have always been a lot more conservative. Right at the begininng they decided a bass should be an upright, just like in Les Pauls Trio - so when they took their basses electric in the fifties they made the violin-shaped EB1. They were making Epiphone double basses too. Just about all the Gibson artists, workers and owners were into Jazz, bluegrass and so on. So Gibson made deep thumpy mahogany basses that fitted the role that the upright would have had.

As the sixties wore on, this bass-role attitude changed a little, but it didn't really hit home until the seventies when they started using maple, and generally longer scales. The maple seventies basses sold well.

Gibson have made some great basses - usually darker sounding than Fenders - but they have made so many variations (a lot more than Fender) that any generalisation about Gibson basses will almost certainly have exceptions

IMO in the early days, apart from the EB1 Gibson have been anything but conservative. From 1963 when the first Thunderbirds were made up until the beginning of the 80s they've been trying to do something different with the bass guitar. In fact I'd class the Victory as probably the most conservative bass they've made since it was design to be a Gibson replacement for the Fender P and J style basses.