Why become a member? ×

Headphones for practising

ash_sak

Ok well this has been done before many times i think, i might've even started one, so i'm sorry to bother you all again but any quick suggestions.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap pair of headphones with which to practise my bass through.
I'm going to uni. in september n dont want to piss off everyone in the halls using an amp so yeah, headphones seem like the best option.

Overhead ones i think are the best, and i haven't ever used them apart from borrowing my dad's bose ones, but they're quite out of my price range.

So yeah.
headphones...go...

Thanks in advance, wonderful community of bassists.

Enjoy.

I've used a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SP for years for practice, transcription, recording and for playing in pit orchestras. They are about £80 and do the job well. Not too large, so you can also use them to listen to music on the train etc. without looking like a complete moron.

Jennifer

I picked up a couple of pairs of Legacy PH-150 cans at Music Live last year for my home studio. At £10 each I wasn't expecting much but they're ace, very robust, & the closed back design excludes a lot of external sound. They come with 2 cables - straight & curly, and even a little velvet bag to keep them in! Sweet! :)

Jon.

[quote name='endorka' post='550343' date='Jul 24 2009, 04:10 PM']so you can also use them to listen to music on the train etc. without looking like a complete moron.
Jennifer[/quote]

I'm afraid they wouldn't help me because unless the headphones are six foot six high and 3 feet wide, people would still be able to see I'm a moron.

Edited by rslaing

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=3042&C=SO&U=Strat15"]i googled these[/url]

i have a pair in the loft i used to use...hi fi ones made by sennheiser and they gave the usual dead plonky sound for listening via the headphones jack on the combo

I use Sennheiser HDR-120 wireless headphones. I put the bass through a BassPod-XT first, although you might well get away with not. However, I think a proper preamp of some sort would be a good plan. The pod gives me the advantage of a USB connection to my computer for mixing play-along music and recording myself (in theory).

Wireless means not getting tangled up in the wires. The downside is that they have a vast amount of compression. If you play loud they back the volume off noticeably to compensate.

[quote name='rslaing' post='550677' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:55 PM']I'm afraid they wouldn't help me because unless the headphones are six foot six high and 3 feet wide, people would still be able to see I'm a moron.[/quote]

Nobody could look like a moron playing that bass you have pictured in your avatar. Too cool.

Jennifer

I too would go with Sennheiser HD25s - HD25-1-II if your budget is sufficient. They're a pro unit - sturdy and robust, comfortable and high-quality (great for listening to music as well as monitoring bass or pretty much anything else - a favourite for FoH engineers as they keep out ambient noise pretty efficiently). I tried some relatively high-end audiophile Sennheisers recently (HD650s) and wasn't massively impressed - 'probably better to go for something more robust. Some people love Grados - they're probably more 'coloured' than Sennheiser. Grado SL60s and 80s are a decent price and a good listen but not as sturdy as Sennheisers and reasonably large. As others have said, a good preamp would be beneficial but I've had acceptable results plugging headphones directly into a bass (at least, a bass with a very powerful on-board pre).

Budget, well it's...£100 max i'd say.

But i might just get a pair of headphones for the moment n get a small amp later down the line when i have a reason for it (i.e. a new band)
I have a Boss Micro BR to use as a preamp so that should be fine.

Thankks for the suggestions.

Sennheiser HD215.
Readily available (Argos, for example)
Tough
Reasonably priced (£50)
Sound good

And best of all, they're CLOSED BACK. My bass (unplugged) makes more sound than they leak.
Conversely, the Missus can be watching TV in the same room while I practice, and I can't hear it, even if I'm not playing and the MP3 player's between tracks....
Which is good news in recording studios if you've got a drummer to shut out...

[quote name='ash_sak' post='550270' date='Jul 24 2009, 02:13 PM']Ok well this has been done before many times i think, i might've even started one, so i'm sorry to bother you all again but any quick suggestions.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap pair of headphones with which to practise my bass through.
I'm going to uni. in september n dont want to piss off everyone in the halls using an amp so yeah, headphones seem like the best option.

Overhead ones i think are the best, and i haven't ever used them apart from borrowing my dad's bose ones, but they're quite out of my price range.

So yeah.
headphones...go...

Thanks in advance, wonderful community of bassists.

Enjoy.[/quote]

You might try these, SONY MDR-7506 You can get them for around $100 USD or less. Amazing bass response and they have a cool curly cord!

Craig

[quote name='Lee-Man' post='551316' date='Jul 25 2009, 07:12 PM']+1 on the Sennheiser headphones, all our students get given a set of HD202 at the start of the year, I have about 5 different pairs, but my hd280 pros are my favorite for blocking out the rest of the world.[/quote]
Another vote for Sennheisers. I have the HD280 Pros too, they are simply brilliant.

I'm a self confessed Headphone Geek, for recording or practicing bass i use my AKG K141 Studio's they're just awesome, *check out the end of the film Bruno for alot of AKG K141 love*, when i really need everything flat and level i use my Beyer Dynamics, for listening i predominantly use Sony MDR V500's as they can be laid out flat with their movable housing, but these are terrible for recording as they're pretty treble biased but great for trains and when you want to ignore the existance of other human beings, i have various pairs of Sennheisers lying around but i have never got on with them, the 202's and 205's are very bass heavy and i can't wear them too well, they're not great for recording with, i have a pair of Sony MDR V150's and for £12 they blow the Sennheisers out the water. But for the £70 they cost me the AKG's are essential.