Why become a member? ×

Good pub rock songs

thepurpleblob

Sorry - know this is a well worn path - but I'm looking for suggestions for some new songs for my band. We seem to have got stuck in a bit of a rut. Here's the deal

* pub "guitar" band (bass/guitar/drums/vocals) playing rock covers. Oasis, U2, Pistols, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs etc etc
* Would rather play more modern stuff than the usual 70s "standards" (although we do play one or two)
* Audience tends to be young and rowdy. We seem to appeal to the young, drunken mob!
* I'd rather play something that wasn't just three chords of 8th notes - mostly because I forget them :)

Any brilliant ideas?

[quote name='alexharvay' post='547321' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:21 AM']I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kings of Leon songs always go down well. Singles from the latest album. Although they are very simple so you may not go for them.[/quote]

We can't play them. We had a go at Sex on Fire and it was a disaster. Then it got worse every time we played it. When you can't even get the introduction right you know you're in big trouble.

Try the suggestions in here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8685&view=findpost&p=90010"]Dance floor fillers[/url]

and avoid the suggestions in here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=8740&view=findpost&p=90659"]Dance floor emptiers[/url]

:)

[quote name='Marky L' post='547324' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:23 AM']Give Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis a go, that goes down well for us.[/quote]

+1 get the whole place singing that doobie doo bit ..

Ruby ruby ruby + riot + every day I love you less and less by the Kaisers

Valerie (of course)

[quote name='KevB' post='547351' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:58 AM']Try 'Moving To New York' by The Wombats, if it's a young enough crowd they'll know it and it's fun to play. I learned it for an audition and hadn't heard it before but it grew on me.[/quote]

Yes - we play that already. I hadn't heard it before another band member suggested it and it goes down really well. Makes my fretting hard very sore at the crazy speed we play it however :)

A few popular ones from our setlist that might fit:

Bloc Party – Banquet
Feeder – Buck Rogers
Foo Fighters – The Last Song
Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly
Green Day – Basket Case,
Jet – Are you gonna be My Girl?
Kaisers – I predict a riot
Kings of Leon – Sex on Fire
Kings of Leon – Use Somebody
Muse – Plug in Baby
Nirvana – Teen Spirit
Oasis – Cigarettes and Alcohol
Primal Scream – Rocks
RHCP - Dani California
Stereophonics – Local Boy in the Photograph
Stone Roses – She Bangs the Drum
The Automatic – Monster
The Cult – She Sells Sanctuary
The Killers – Somebody Told Me,
The Killers - Mr Brightside
U2 - Vertigo

[quote name='OldGit' post='547328' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:27 AM']+1 get the whole place singing that doobie doo bit ..

Ruby ruby ruby + riot + every day I love you less and less by the Kaisers

Valerie (of course)[/quote]

Defo to all of those. And anything by the Jam.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='547323' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:22 AM']We can't play them. We had a go at Sex on Fire and it was a disaster. Then it got worse every time we played it. When you can't even get the introduction right you know you're in big trouble.[/quote]

We play it and it goes down a storm but I'm damned if I know how we manage to get in to it as it seems to be different everytime we play it :)

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='547395' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:48 AM']We play it and it goes down a storm but I'm damned if I know how we manage to get in to it as it seems to be different everytime we play it :)[/quote]

We play it ok other than the intro. we had to simplify that bit and now drums start with guitar.
and yes, it goes down a storm.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='547404' date='Jul 22 2009, 10:56 AM']We play it ok other than the intro. we had to simplify that bit and now drums start with guitar.[/quote]

Yes - we've had to do the same. Our normally excellent drummer just couldn't get his head around it otherwise!

[quote name='simon1964' post='547414' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:10 AM']Yes - we've had to do the same. Our normally excellent drummer just couldn't get his head around it otherwise![/quote]

Ours failed at the first 1000+ attempts. This seems to be a common issue.
I think its a case of accepting that there's a beat missing at the start. Takes a while for the head to get around it.
It works fine now though.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='547471' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:32 PM']Ours failed at the first 1000+ attempts. This seems to be a common issue.
I think its a case of accepting that there's a beat missing at the start. Takes a while for the head to get around it.
It works fine now though.[/quote]

For us its more to keep the guitarist in time as he tends to drift out. That used to cause me and the drummer to sometimes hesitate coming in.

We must be super awesome, Sex on Fire only took us a few goes!

Mr. Brightside always goes down well. We stopped playing Kaiser Chief songs cos we hate em and it seems they aren't that popular anymore. They tended to get more rolled eyes from the crowd than any other modern song

I know they're not exactly modern but any Queen and Stevie Wonder tunes are sure fire winners. If you can get the harmonies right Under Pressure is fantastic

Click on my band link in my sig and take a look at our set, we ONLY play crowd pleasers, and are building up about half and half modern/70s songs.

Sorry if these have been mentioned before but:

Feeler - Buck Rodges
Arctic Monkeys - Bet That You Look Good On the Dancefloor and When The Sun Goes Down
Green Day - Basket Case
Blink 182 - All The Small Things
Foo Fighters - Times Like These
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode

All of those get great responses.

Oh - and if you want to depress yourself by getting the best reaction in the world for the worst and easiest to play song in the world... play 500 miles by the proclaimers, and go home depressed that you got no reactions all night apart from the one cop-out song... :) :rolleyes:

allighatt00r has already said it, but blink 182, all the small things.

also summer of 69 goes down well. i know what you're thinking with summer of 69, but everyone knows it, and audiences tend to like it.

ooh, AC/DC songs go down well as well, we play highway to hell and back in black.

and probably the one that goes down best in our set is bon jovi - livin on a prayer.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='547323' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:22 AM']We can't play them. We had a go at Sex on Fire and it was a disaster. Then it got worse every time we played it. When you can't even get the introduction right you know you're in big trouble.[/quote]

Blob dude. We had the same problem as our drummer can`t keep time to save his life. Get the drums to start first and then when he has got himself sorted bring in the bass and guitar. Viola!! It goes doon a treat.

Better still, Use somebody, the drumming doesn`t go in time with anything else so nobody noticws you are all over the place.

Of course, the drummer might not be the problem.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='548211' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:04 PM']Blob dude. We had the same problem as our drummer can`t keep time to save his life. Get the drums to start first and then when he has got himself sorted bring in the bass and guitar. Viola!! It goes doon a treat.

Better still, Use somebody, the drumming doesn`t go in time with anything else so nobody noticws you are all over the place.

Of course, the drummer might not be the problem.

Jez[/quote]

Nah - it's the bass player. He's bloody useless.