Why become a member? ×

SOLD Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt Fretless Jazz

lozbass

For Sale - Fender Jazz Fretless - Masterbuilt by Denis Galuska

Major sell-off - clearing all long-scale basses (pretty much). I only really play short(er) scale (well...that and the fact that I'll never play fretless as long as I have a hole in my a*se)

Absolutely breathtaking Jazz fretless - around 3 years old (a unique and custom one-off) from Fender Masterbuilder Denis Galuska

In entirely 'as new' and stunning condition apart from marking (impressions and lacquer cracks by the screw-holes) under the bridge cover. Marks are invisible when the cover is fitted. I've discussed repair with 5 or 6 luthiers and all say it can't be done: the only option is a full body respray. The damage is actually very minor but irritating - it was caused by Fender when the bass was returned to have some initial changes (tuners etc.) The chips are small and could be covered by inserting the cover plate screws and small felt washers.

2 Tone sunburst nitro finish - genuinely gorgeous (it sometimes looks 3 Tone in the poor quality photographs but isn't - sorry, my photography skills leave much to be desired)
Ebony unlined board (with markers as for fretted), flamed maple neck (subtle but beautiful), alder 2 piece body - the bass is built around a '64
Fender Custom Shop pickups
The most lovely Fender I've seen or played by some distance
Commissioned around four years ago - not gigged or rehearsed - around 30 hours playing time in total
Original case and all case candy (including certificate) in as new and flawless condition - the strap was fitted for a short time but is unmarked
Original receipt and paperwork included (original purchase price was £3600 as indicated on the receipt)
Lacquer marking under the bridge cover appears in the photographs - you can see that these are entirely invisible when the bridge cover is fitted
The bass was set-up (perfectly - the action is super-low and the bass simply sings) by Martin Peterson at the Gallery - strings are Labella slappers and are virtually unplayed. The bass drew a lot of attention and some real gasps when it was at the Gallery - it's that stunning in the flesh

Selling price is £1450 - this really is a serious bargain - it's a stunning one-off bass and looks immensely cool.

Collection from central Manchester or professional packaging and carriage (around £60 extra). I will send overseas but charges will be higher. I'll try to answer pm's rapidly or can talk by 'phone (please pm me first).

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='543164' date='Jul 17 2009, 01:12 PM']I saw a bass exactly like this on ebay a couple of years back.

I GASsed for it then, and I'm GASsing for this now...[/quote]
Haha - there is but one of these in the world! I enjoyed a day out in Yorkshire about 18 months ago

Edited for spelling

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='543223' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:14 PM']I've been reflecting on this for a while - Kismet really - I think it's in your destiny[/quote]

Just noticed "markers as for fretted" which is a relief as I can now stop gassing :)
Incredible price for the bass, so it won't be around long
Chris

Stunning bass Loz, shame about the "damage" but as you say very minor. I'm sure with some microscopic smoothing and a little varnish it would become even less noticeable. Just a bit too expensive for only an occasional fretless player. There must be a fretless whizz out there who would love this. Nick S

[quote name='Beedster' post='543255' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:46 PM']Just noticed "markers as for fretted" which is a relief as I can now stop gassing :)
Chris[/quote]
Sorry if this gasses you up again Chris but in the third pic top row I'd say the side dot looks to be nearer the correct place for G and not somewhere between F# and G.

But maybe my eyes are playing up.

[quote name='Beedster' post='543255' date='Jul 17 2009, 02:46 PM']Just noticed "markers as for fretted" which is a relief as I can now stop gassing :)
Chris[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543285' date='Jul 17 2009, 03:08 PM']Sorry if this gasses you up again Chris but in the third pic top row I'd say the side dot looks to be nearer the correct place for G and not somewhere between F# and G.

But maybe my eyes are playing up.[/quote]

I measured the distance from the nut to the first side dot in that picture relative to the measurement between the tuner shafts in the pic and compared it to the the same relative measurement on my Jazz bass. IMHO, the dot definitely marks the third 'fret' and is not where the dot would be on a fretted instrument. 'Markers as for fretted' must mean side dots at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 but 'on the line' and not 'between the lines' as they would be on a fretted instrument.

Is this good sense or am I fooling myself?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='543852' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:52 AM']I measured the distance from the nut to the first side dot in that picture relative to the measurement between the tuner shafts in the pic and compared it to the the same relative measurement on my Jazz bass. IMHO, the dot definitely marks the third 'fret' and is not where the dot would be on a fretted instrument. 'Markers as for fretted' must mean side dots at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19 but 'on the line' and not 'between the lines' as they would be on a fretted instrument.

Is this good sense or am I fooling myself?[/quote]

Thanks Dave, you're clearly a serious forensic bass investigator :)

OK, there certainly was return of gas but, all things considered, I've got my fretless Jazz situation sorted and I really can't imagine getting a better tone from any other instrument (although I have to say that one very tempting aspect of Loz's bass over mine is the ebony board). What I really want to get sorted is my fretless Precision situation, I have a lovely old instrument but I find the P-PUP alone doesn't quite do it live so I'm looking for a P-J fretless, like your TF Dave (and you'll no doubt remember we had a few chats about that a while back). So, I find myself drawn, and not for the first time, to Shaggy's '73....

If I had bottomless pockets, Loz's bass would be in my collection for sure, myself and Loz have chatted about it a few times and each time I really have to say "you don't need it". However, someone here will get a real bargain and a cracking bass

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Hi all, thanks for the comments - and wow on the forensics - I'm stunned! I'm playing a wedding tonight and in a major rush to get over there. I'll respond properly tomorrow - my impression is that the dots are 'between' the lines as for a standard fretted. I think Denis was aiming for the Jaco idea - a bass built in the early '60s with the frets removed (I'm not sure however). Martin Peterson also found the dots to be 'between' not 'on' the line and intonated the bass with this in mind.

I managed to get some black felt washers yesterday and will fit them over the lacquer cracks tomorrow and take some further photographs (I'm not sure what it will look like but we'll all see soon - the idea was suggested by a local luthier).

Cheers all, Lozbass

[quote name='Beedster' post='543871' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:23 AM']Thanks Dave, you're clearly a serious forensic bass investigator :rolleyes:

OK, there certainly was return of gas but, all things considered, I've got my fretless Jazz situation sorted and I really can't imagine getting a better tone from any other instrument (although I have to say that one very tempting aspect of Loz's bass over mine is the ebony board). What I really want to get sorted is my fretless Precision situation, I have a lovely old instrument but I find the P-PUP alone doesn't quite do it live so I'm looking for a P-J fretless, like your TF Dave (and you'll no doubt remember we had a few chats about that a while back). So, I find myself drawn, and not for the first time, to Shaggy's '73....

If I had bottomless pockets, Loz's bass would be in my collection for sure, myself and Loz have chatted about it a few times and each time I really have to say "you don't need it". However, someone here will get a real bargain and a cracking bass

Chris[/quote]
Well, if there is such a job as 'serious forensic bass investigator' I think I'd quite like it but I may have been talking rubbish. :)

With the Tony Franklin the ability to add a little Jazz bridge pickup now and then certainly can help with cutting through the mix and I'd say the ebony fingerboard does give the P sound a slight crispness compared to rosewood. However, the real killer bonus with the TF is (IMO) the side dot at the 'first fret'.

This Jazz bass has got to be a real bargain at the price - wherever the side dots are, although if they are 'between' and not 'on the lines' I don't really see the point of them. A bad clue is as bad as no clue at all.

[quote name='lozbass' post='543894' date='Jul 18 2009, 11:57 AM']Hi all, thanks for the comments - and wow on the forensics - I'm stunned! I'm playing a wedding tonight and in a major rush to get over there. I'll respond properly tomorrow - my impression is that the dots are 'between' the lines as for a standard fretted. I think Denis was aiming for the Jaco idea - a bass built in the early '60s with the frets removed (I'm not sure however). Martin Peterson also found the dots to be 'between' not 'on' the line and intonated the bass with this in mind.

I managed to get some black felt washers yesterday and will fit them over the lacquer cracks tomorrow and take some further photographs (I'm not sure what it will look like but we'll all see soon - the idea was suggested by a local luthier).

Cheers all, Lozbass[/quote]
It should be easy enough to tell with the bass in person: the octave double dot would be very close to 17 inches from the nut. If it's not, then I am wrong.

As promised, a couple of images of the bass wearing felt washers over the bridge plate screw holes (pasted into the initial post) - I think it looks rather dapper (despite my blurry photography and the absence of any real light in Manchester this morning). I've also included an image of the case candy.

On the dot markers - I've measured carefully, and it appears that the markers are 'between the line' - thanks for all the advice and highly informed comment

Weird War - thanks for the Hungarian lesson, I'm hoping to be over in Budapest in September and now know how to what to order with my veggie stew

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='544645' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:57 PM']On the dot markers - I've measured carefully, and it appears that the markers are 'between the line' - thanks for all the advice and highly informed comment[/quote]
Hey, Loz, I'm wrong then - so much for my forensic skills!! :)