Why become a member? ×

Best Jazz Bass available in the UK

Subfeeder

If you can get a good deal, go for the 08/09 US jazz. Great build quality, great sound, great case! and it will sell quite well compared to mex etc. The new Jazz and P basses are top notch, and if you can get one for like £750 is gotta be worth it. At the end of the day a Fender JAzz is just that, and no sandberg/sadowsky/lakeland will ever be a Fender Jazz. They may copy the tone, and even sound better in some cases, but they wont sound like a true jazz bass. when i had my jazz, I tryed a lakeland jo osbourne, and while good, it did not have that growl of the fender.

Hi there,

I picked up a 2nd-hand MIJ '75 re-issue Fender Jazz from John Blackman at [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/index.htm"]>> Far East Guitars <<[/url], a couple of years ago, and can have absolutely no complaints about it. US pick-ups, top notch craftsmanship, plays wonderfully, and is comfortably well under your £1000 budget. Having compared it against a couple of USA made versions of the '75 re-issues, I fail to see what justifies the added expense of the American model.

Cheers.

Got a fender 2008 american standard jazz from GAK at a special price of £769 inc case brand new and it's one of the best basses I've ever played. I kinda look forward to the day when it's all beaten up and stuff, but seriously, I got one of them with a bass microsynths with money spare from a £1000 inheritance fund my parents decided to give me out of my grandad's inheritance and it's the single best transaction I have ever made! I can't recommend the '08 jazz bass highly enough.

HOWEVER, I would highly reccommend sticking around the for sale section and waiting for a good deal to come up. You could probably get (I'm guessing here) my bass for about £500 from there if you wait long enough. But for me, especially as I was new and untrusting of this little community, I decided I had to buy new. (and btw, gak.co.uk is the best place to buy online :) )

I have a mint 2009 Jazz FS at £700, you get to save ~£120 or more on a new one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55144&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55144&hl=[/url]

PS, thank heavens you are back to Nick Cave, Steve!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='541823' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:59 PM']If you can get a good deal, go for the 08/09 US jazz. Great build quality, great sound, great case! and it will sell quite well compared to mex etc. The new Jazz and P basses are top notch, and if you can get one for like £750 is gotta be worth it. At the end of the day a Fender JAzz is just that, and no sandberg/sadowsky/lakeland will ever be a Fender Jazz. They may copy the tone, and even sound better in some cases, but they wont sound like a true jazz bass. when i had my jazz, I tryed a lakeland jo osbourne, and while good, it did not have that growl of the fender.[/quote]

Well, I did try a Sandberg yesterday. Very nice bass, but as has been said, not a jazz bass. I tried it against a Fender MIA Jazz Bass and prefer the Fender - because I'm looking for the Jazz Bass sound.
So looks like I'm going for a Fender Jazz Bass.

Edited by jassibi

[quote name='greyparrot' post='541823' date='Jul 15 2009, 11:59 PM']If you can get a good deal, go for the 08/09 US jazz. Great build quality, great sound, great case! and it will sell quite well compared to mex etc. The new Jazz and P basses are top notch, and if you can get one for like £750 is gotta be worth it. At the end of the day a Fender JAzz is just that, and no sandberg/sadowsky/lakeland will ever be a Fender Jazz. They may copy the tone, and even sound better in some cases, but they wont sound like a true jazz bass. when i had my jazz, I tryed a lakeland jo osbourne, and while good, it did not have that growl of the fender.[/quote]

Hey

I was looking at getting a J Osbourne 5 as well.

Do they really not hold up to a Fender Jazz? The Fender Jazz tone for me is perfect!

Who makes a quality Jazz 5 thats close to Fender sound as you can get?

I guess it mostly boils down to whether you want THAT sound (in which case it has to be a Fender), or whether you want something that might kid casual onlookers that it's a Fender but is actually something a bit different - and usually more expensive (in which case take your pick from any of a whole bunch of bespoke makers - most of them mentioned here - although not Martin Pietersen at SEIBass, who makes a pretty mean Jazz lookalike as well).

[corporate gratitude moment] I suppose we ought to be grateful that Fender, unlike Rickenbacker (for example!) did not patent their design, and do not vigorously pursue copyists. This has freed countless luthiers to replicate, in their own way, a classic design without fear of retribution.
Long live the Jazz. In all its forms [/corporate gratitude moment]

I have heard a few basses really pulling off the proper Fender J Passive tone, but still not perfectly. But that could be amps, technique, anything.

I am basically looking for the best 5 string Jazz...classic bodyshape, two single coils, probably passive, that growls like a Fender Jazz but has something different about it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='jassibi' post='539247' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:17 PM']....I'm going to get rid of my Lakland 5501 and get a 4 string Jazz Bass....[/quote]
My view is that these days and for your budget, the best Fender is a Lakland but it sounds like you really want a Fender, which is fair enough. Fender appear to be very patchy on the QC front so you need to spend some time looking and play as many basses as you can so you can find a good one. I'd concentrate on the used market as I don't think many Fenders are worth their RRP! Good luck.