Why become a member? ×

What is it with trying to find a bass that works for me ?

markdavid

What is it with trying to find a bass that works for me ?
I don't know if anybody else here has this issue but out of all the basses I own/have owned I have never been able to find a bass that really works for me. Ive owned epiphones, fenders, squiers and countless other basses but have never really been satisfied or inspired with any of them and have found that typically any bass I own gets sold on or swapped or exchanged in a matter of months , either the basses dont feel right or the sound is wrong. I thought I had found "the bass" with the Ibanez I own at the moment but after the joy of owning a new bass has worn off I find the Ibanez a bit too modern sounding and find I am yearning for something a bit more old school (and passive rather than active) Anyway rant over , just needed to vent my frustration

Cripes! Talk about the subjective!

I've only had about four basses over my career...(Forty years), an old Jazz that was rubbish until now, a Stingray, SB1000F, and my more recent... a MiM P Bass.

If I've got to choose It would have to be either of the fenders... you have to work on them however!

I've had a really close relationship with them all. Non of them were 'one nighters' and I'm sorry to see two of them go... oh well.

Believe me... you'll find one that just 'talks' to you... one day... it's a journey.

Have you tried the banjo? :)

I've experimented with a few basses over the years but I seem to have settled on P-basses. I've owned up to 12 basses at one time but am now down to 3. My needs are met. My one thought is you get a custom made bass built to your specs. Not cheap but presumably you like aspects of all these basses you've bought? I reckon that's your only real light at the end of the tunnel.

[quote name='markdavid' post='539015' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:03 AM']What is it with trying to find a bass that works for me ?
I don't know if anybody else here has this issue but out of all the basses I own/have owned I have never been able to find a bass that really works for me. Ive owned epiphones, fenders, squiers and countless other basses but have never really been satisfied or inspired with any of them and have found that typically any bass I own gets sold on or swapped or exchanged in a matter of months , either the basses dont feel right or the sound is wrong. I thought I had found "the bass" with the Ibanez I own at the moment but after the joy of owning a new bass has worn off I find the Ibanez a bit too modern sounding and find I am yearning for something a bit more old school (and passive rather than active) Anyway rant over , just needed to vent my frustration[/quote]

I know this problem. My solution was to sell all basses, keep one and tell myself: that's what you have. Now play it. People like Jamerson, Montgomery, Felder didn't have such a great number of basses to chose from and still have layed
the foundation for modern bassplaying.
Ask yourself if it really the bass that causes your frustration or if you feel your playing does not satisfy you, which was the problem in my case.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='539108' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:13 AM']I keep chopping and changing because I get bored with basses and need something new to maintain my interest.[/quote]

Keep your interest in what? Bass playing? I've learned that you need to have to be interested in music. The instrument is just a tool to perform music.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='539202' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:08 AM']Thanks for that caruso. I am interested in music and have been since I started gigging in 1967.[/quote]

Interested in music? :rolleyes:

"As long as there's the sex and drugs I can do without the rock and roll." :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='539202' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:08 AM']Thanks for that caruso. I am interested in music and have been since I started gigging in 1967.[/quote]
I didn't mean to offend you but still do not understand that during a period of more than 40 years you could not find a bass that kept you interested in, well in what? Obviously interest in music is not the problem then.

I think that in some way it is connected to having too much choice. Don't know if you saw the clip about increased choice leading to dissatisfaction on the Boutique Basses thread (think it was that one) but that is how I feel about a lot of things.

For me at least, you always think that there is something better than what you have and that leaves you dissatisfied with what you have, no matter how good it is. It doesn't affect everybody the same way, but it does go someway to explain things such as some people being gadget freaks (again, guilty).

I'm trying to change the way I look at things as I know this is always causing me problems (and it gets expensive :) ). In the meantime I look at just about every bass that comes up in the for sale section!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='539108' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:13 AM']....I keep chopping and changing because I get bored with basses and need something new to maintain my interest....[/quote]
I know we are all in this for different reasons and, as I've posted before, I don't understand GAS! My gear, amp, cab and bass is just stuff. The reason I am a bass player is that I play with other musicians and to audiences. Beyond having a limited interest in the "stuff", playing live is 99.9% of my interest.

I wish I was the same Chris. I never had GAS when I was a guitarist - only ever used a Strat or a Tele if I was feeling saucy. I just don't seem to be able to settle on any one bass for more than a few months and then I need a change. My love of music and playing live is unaffected by my constant equipment changes.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='539261' date='Jul 13 2009, 12:37 PM']I wish I was the same Chris. I never had GAS when I was a guitarist - only ever used a Strat or a Tele if I was feeling saucy. I just don't seem to be able to settle on any one bass for more than a few months and then I need a change. My love of music and playing live is unaffected by my constant equipment changes.[/quote]
+1 here.I have one "keeper",but the back-up plank is always subject to GAS!