Why become a member? ×

A beginners double bass and some great double bass to listen to?!!!!!

pegman1

Hello,

I have been playing double bass for about a month now and have been practicing on the one at my college so far, standards and original jazz compositions I've got to get my own though and I was wandering if anyone on this wonderful thing as the internet knows where I could get a good beginners double bass, I don't have huge amounts of money to spend I'm looking between £250 - £350. This is practically nothing in DB terms i know but its all i got.

Also I'm checking out bassists like Christopher White, Ray Brown, Dave Holland, Mingus, Gary Peacock, Eugine Wright if you guys knew of any other great bassists to check out any cool solos for me to transcribe i'd love suggestions.

Thank you!! :)

The obvious one is Solid Air but I'm a big fan of albums like Sundays Child and if you can find it, Live at Leeds. There's quite a bit of live BBC/OGWT stuff on youtube as well - well worth checking out to see two wonderful musicians at the top of their game totally sparkling off each other.

Enjoy!

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

Try 'Waltz for Debbie' by the Bill Evans trio from the early 1960s. It features the superb young US bassist Scott LaFaro who was tragically killed in a car crash a couple of days after recording this. He took the Ray Brown and Paul Chambers rhythmic approach to double-bass a step further melody-wise and was incredibly fast (almost Spanish guitar like) at soloing. Don't let that last comment put you off as he played wonderful melodic backing bass lines too.

You will enjoy playing the main melody (which is on the double bass) to the title track, I am sure. It spans the entire length of the neck, so is good for intonation, and is very tuneful

Edited by Clarky

Another vote for Danny Thompson and a mention for Ali Friend (Red Snapper/Clayhill/Beth Orton).

Regarding your budget for a bass, I'm afraid £350 isn't going to get you a good beginners bass - you're looking at about £1500 for a good beginners bass, but you already knew that.... :)

What £350 will get you is an all plywood bass from Gear4music or Thomann or that German place on ebay. They're not [i]good[/i], but they are somewhere to get you started as long as you bear in mind that they'll need a set up and some decent strings and then you still might not get the sound you're looking for. I seem to remember someone on here buying one of the Gear4music basses and being very happy with it so I suppose it's horses for courses.

If you can raise a budget of £850 or so, Thomann do some very reasonable sounding basses in this price range - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_33_02.htm"]this one[/url] for instance.

Or, you could look into hiring a bass? I hired a very nice Stentor from a local music shop for £20 a month.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[quote name='Clarky' post='537802' date='Jul 11 2009, 11:51 AM']Bassace had a nice looking German 1960s plywood bass on for £900 - check the FS section[/quote]

Thanks for the plug Clarky but I didn't have much interest at the time so I thought it was a lost cause. I've become so attached to it all over again that I'll withdraw it when I get round to it.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pegman1' post='537471' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:30 PM']Hello,

I have been playing double bass for about a month now and have been practicing on the one at my college so far, standards and original jazz compositions I've got to get my own though and I was wandering if anyone on this wonderful thing as the internet knows where I could get a good beginners double bass, I don't have huge amounts of money to spend I'm looking between £250 - £350. This is practically nothing in DB terms i know but its all i got.

Also I'm checking out bassists like Christopher White, Ray Brown, Dave Holland, Mingus, Gary Peacock, Eugine Wright if you guys knew of any other great bassists to check out any cool solos for me to transcribe i'd love suggestions.

Thank you!! :)[/quote]

Hi...It might be possible that I can help...

I'm selling a double bass, it's a hungarian model from around '65. It has Maple spruce back and sides but the back has been replaced with ply. I am selling it for £300 because it had some serious damage to the scroll, which has been fixed solid now and has stood the test of time and playing.

Its not perfect but its stronger and has a better tone than the new plywood factory ones I'm sure and has seen me through the past three years well.

It's also got mother of pearl markers up the side which can help with intonation at the beginning.

If you want to know more or to see some photographs let me know...

Hong x

[quote name='Mama Hong' post='558936' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:18 AM']Hi...It might be possible that I can help...

I'm selling a double bass, it's a hungarian model from around '65. It has Maple spruce back and sides but the back has been replaced with ply. I am selling it for £300 because it had some serious damage to the scroll, which has been fixed solid now and has stood the test of time and playing.

Its not perfect but its stronger and has a better tone than the new plywood factory ones I'm sure and has seen me through the past three years well.

It's also got mother of pearl markers up the side which can help with intonation at the beginning.

If you want to know more or to see some photographs let me know...

Hong x[/quote]

Ah also check out Avishai Cohen and Henri Texier...
both on that glorious spotify.

+1 for Danny Thompson. What TONE. He did a brief solo, backing the Blind Boys of Alabama on Jools Holland which makes the hairs on my neck stand on end every time I hear it. He was also in a band called Pentagle, a top notch jazz/folk combo back in the late 60's. There was some footage of them on BBC4 recently showing yet another wonderful solo from Mr Thompson.

Another contemporary to watch out for is Christian McBride. I acquired a recording of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fingerpainting-Herbie-Hancock-Christian-McBride/dp/B0000047FK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249545173&sr=1-1"]Fingerpainting: The Music of Herbie Hancock[/url] featuring Mr McBride, Nicholas Payton and Mark Whitfield. This is a cracking album from a virtuoso player. Well worth a listen.

This thread is proving interesting reading. I currently have a Stagg EDB and while I was playing it last night, it all kind of gel'd. For the first time I felt like I actually "got" the instrument. of course, that's now started me thinking about getting a proper double. I know we haven't got the room, but I have abig birthday coming up and they look and sound soooo sexy...

AxelF has a DB up in the for sale section [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=56677"]here[/url]. Nice price too. I know it's a bit out of your price range but have a look anyway.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='561703' date='Aug 6 2009, 09:10 AM']+1 for Danny Thompson. What TONE. He did a brief solo, backing the Blind Boys of Alabama on Jools Holland which makes the hairs on my neck stand on end every time I hear it. He was also in a band called Pentangle, a top notch jazz/folk combo back in the late 60's. There was some footage of them on BBC4 recently showing yet another wonderful solo from Mr Thompson.[/quote]

+1 to everything said above. I haven't seen the Blind Boys Of Alabama video, going to check it out now!

Could I also suggest that you look down the posts to 'French Connection' and get a look at Mike Arnopol. Good example of thumb position playing.

One way or another every player has been mentioned on these posts; why are Ray Brown and Danny Thompson alike - although their music is very different? The answer has to be that they both extract such a big sound from the bass, all down to a good right hand technique.

• 2 weeks later...

Miroslav Vitous is worth a look too. His playing on Chick's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs is incredible, especially for being so young at the time. His solo albums are very interesting too. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Ron Carter, definately check out his work with Miles' 60s quintet. I love the 1964 concert record.
Edgar Meyer is a fantastic player. And Charlie Mingus is an obvious starting point.

+1 for Ray Brown, Dave Holland and basically everyone else mentioned so far.

Edited by joerattray

A big fat plus 1 to everyone that's been mentioned, I'd like to add Larry Taylor, now playing with Tom Waits.

Also.... This maniac, Renaud Garcia-Fons, French-Catalan bass monster, saw him live playing the tracks from this album a few years ago, changed my life, and I mean that absolutely whole-heartedly.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXt6htVi3C4&feature=PlayList&p=644D2174F442B74F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXt6htVi3C4...=PL&index=3[/url]

Forgot to mention he plays a 5 string.

Edited by beardybass