Why become a member? ×

Power Amp + Preamp

ase_one23

i've had a good search thro and can't seem to find any hard info on this. basically my trust peavey mkvi has up and died on me (hmmm, maybe not so trusty), and having just splurged on importing a T-40 from the US i find myself at a bit of an impasse, ie, i'm totally skint, have loads of gigs coming up over the next few months, no bass amp and none i can borrow from anyone.

to cut to the chase; would it be feasible to buy a cheap power amp, run it with a VT bass i can borrow on long-term loan, and get a decent amp sound? or should i just swallow my pride, ask to borrow everyone's amps, and hold off 6 months till i can afford something half decent?

[quote name='Etienne' post='534205' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:00 PM']I think it would work no problem- I have a VT Bass and it has more than enough output level to drive a power amp. I've actually been thinking about running a set-up like this today as it happens![/quote]

iiiiinteresting - this may be a solution!

of course it'll be interesting watching the other bassist's faces if i agree to supply the backline and whip that setup out! :)

of course next question is... any recommendations for power amps? i know my 'normal' amps pretty well but what should i be looking for with power amps?

Edited by ase_one23

Hmm.

I'd go for a bridgeable stereo power amp. They're produced by all the big manufacturers.
Look for;
[b]Speakon outputs [/b](almost an industry standard now)
[b]Bridgeability[/b] into 4ohm (mono) loads from 2x2ohm stereo operation. This gives you the option of Stereo, Bi-amp and (High power) Mono use)
[b]Output / Thermal protection [/b](from shorts, open loads and overheating-Cooling Fans are usually variable speed and thermostatically controlled)
[b]Some sort of High pass filter.[/b] Common available settings are off/30Hz/50Hz. This can help preserve amplifier power and reduce the risk of driver damage by limiting the lower frequency output of the system. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

Various weight, size, class and power outputs are available!

• 2 weeks later...

Off the back of posts like this, I'm going to build a line driver pedal that will allow the use of normal pedals like the M80 to be used as a preamp. (to boost & control the output up to the right levels to drive a power amp correctly) I've got all the bits, just a matter of getting round to it.. I've even come up with a cool valve version*

* I expect a few to come up on the market now lol lol

[quote name='dood' post='543017' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:48 AM']Off the back of posts like this, I'm going to build a line driver pedal that will allow the use of normal pedals like the M80 to be used as a preamp. (to boost & control the output up to the right levels to drive a power amp correctly) I've got all the bits, just a matter of getting round to it.. I've even come up with a cool valve version*

* I expect a few to come up on the market now lol lol[/quote]

I think if you succeed you should make them for electronically underprivileged people like me :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='TheButler' post='543081' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:54 AM']I think if you succeed you should make them for electronically underprivileged people like me :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

Hmmmmm, maybe I should have a dig around again! The idea was quite a good one, at least on paper!

[quote name='dood' post='543017' date='Jul 17 2009, 10:48 AM']Off the back of posts like this, I'm going to build a line driver pedal that will allow the use of normal pedals like the M80 to be used as a preamp. (to boost & control the output up to the right levels to drive a power amp correctly) I've got all the bits, just a matter of getting round to it.. I've even come up with a cool valve version*

* I expect a few to come up on the market now lol lol[/quote]

I could do with one of these.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='543666' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:06 PM']I'm pretty sure that some of the DHA pedals will do this for you.[/quote]

Correct HJ. The VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive and VT2-Twin-EQ-Bass are designed to do this.

But maybe not everyone wants a valve as a pre-amp so I have been thinking of doing a SS pre-amp for sometime now. It could be used with other pedals or standalone with a line and XLR balanced out, 3 band active EQ plus mid band Q and maybe a headphone amp and line in for home use without an amp. Maybe one version could have a tuner mute as well?

Battery and power supply connections and in as small a box as possible.

Anyone interested?

Another product I have been thinking of would be the above but with a few FX loops as well, maybe with wet/dry blends. 9 and 12V outs some nice lights for levels, etc. A sort of pedal board interface if you like.

[quote name='DHA' post='543831' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:18 AM']Correct HJ. The VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive and VT2-Twin-EQ-Bass are designed to do this.

But maybe not everyone wants a valve as a pre-amp so I have been thinking of doing a SS pre-amp for sometime now. It could be used with other pedals or standalone with a line and XLR balanced out, 3 band active EQ plus mid band Q and maybe a headphone amp and line in for home use without an amp. Maybe one version could have a tuner mute as well?

Anyone interested?

Another product I have been thinking of would be the above but with a few FX loops as well, maybe with wet/dry blends. 9 and 12V outs some nice lights for levels, etc. A sort of pedal board interface if you like.[/quote]

I'd be interested in this, do want a lot of headroom thought, the output from my neck Model 1 + the eye pedals filter tried to clip everything, getting drive on my sansamp even when the drive is down.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='543899' date='Jul 18 2009, 12:00 PM']I'd be interested in this, do want a lot of headroom thought, the output from my neck Model 1 + the eye pedals filter tried to clip everything, getting drive on my sansamp even when the drive is down.[/quote]

Not a problem for headroom.

[quote name='DHA' post='543831' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:18 AM']Correct HJ. The VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive and VT2-Twin-EQ-Bass are designed to do this.

Anyone interested?

Another product I have been thinking of would be the above but with a few FX loops as well, maybe with wet/dry blends. 9 and 12V outs some nice lights for levels, etc. A sort of pedal board interface if you like.[/quote]

Another interested bod here!

[quote name='clauster' post='544663' date='Jul 19 2009, 01:24 PM']Another interested bod here![/quote]

I will put one together in the next week or so.

Looking at battery and power supply operated unit in a 120x90x35mm box. Active EQ, treble, mid and bass with 15dB cut and boost in each band (same circuit as my VT1-EQ), Mid band sweep Q control. Level pot and on led.

XLR balanced DI out and 1/4" jack line out with high level output. 3 postion ground lift switch for the DI with Float, Ploat and ground.

1/4" jack in and if I can fit in on the box another 1/4" jack out that bypasses the line out, i.e. connected to the 1/4" jack in but DI will still work.

Will work as a DI, EQ, Clean boost and Pre-amp.

I will need to make a PCB if this pedal goes into production so will offer the first 5 takes a handbuild version for £49 including P&P. Target price for the production versions will be £59+PP.

Dave

DHA

[quote name='DHA' post='544860' date='Jul 19 2009, 07:19 PM']I will put one together in the next week or so.

Looking at battery and power supply operated unit in a 120x90x35mm box. Active EQ, treble, mid and bass with 15dB cut and boost in each band (same circuit as my VT1-EQ), Mid band sweep Q control. Level pot and on led.

XLR balanced DI out and 1/4" jack line out with high level output. 3 postion ground lift switch for the DI with Float, Ploat and ground.

1/4" jack in and if I can fit in on the box another 1/4" jack out that bypasses the line out, i.e. connected to the 1/4" jack in but DI will still work.

Will work as a DI, EQ, Clean boost and Pre-amp.

I will need to make a PCB if this pedal goes into production so will offer the first 5 takes a handbuild version for £49 including P&P. Target price for the production versions will be £59+PP.

Dave

DHA[/quote]

I'll take #1 Dave... so long as you hand number/sign it and supply the power supply!

Cheque or paypal OK? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='545018' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:24 PM']I'll take #1 Dave... so long as you hand number/sign it and supply the power supply!

Cheque or paypal OK? :)[/quote]

The power supply is a PP3 which is fitted. I can't do an external PSU for that price. They will all be signed and have a serial number. The serial numbers are just as my other pedals as I don't have different numbers for different pedals.

Dave

I've just had an hour with my new setup -

Genz Benz 610T-XB2
Prolight 1k Power Amp
Sansamp BDDI
Squier Vintage Modified Precision

and it's the best sounding amp I've owned. Massive amount of clean headroom from the amp, tight punchy bottom end from the cab and that SVT grind from the Sansamp. That from a setup that's cost me £520! So far, I couldnt recommend this route enough.

Edited by ben604

From experience, I know that I like the sound of a short signal path. I tried my Iceni Zoot Chaser via a Hartke Bass Attack into a QSC PLX 1202/SWR 2x10.
That was good. Not exactly cheap, but quite compact for the performance on offer.
I think I'd want a level control, and that's it!