Why become a member? ×

Great Rhythm Sections

gilmour

So I saw a challenge on a different thread that was to create a thread that hasn't already been covered. How about his one?

As bass players we always talk about locking in with the drummer, and about groove so...
[b]Who are your favourite rhythm sections?[/b]

For my money:
[b]George Porter Junior & Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste
- The Meters[/b]

I also really rate:
[b]Tim Commerford & Brad Wilk
- Rage Against the Machine[/b] (although RATM aren't really my cuppa tea anymore - I'm too old these days lol)

I think both are really good examples of how to play to complement the other player really well, and add to the band dynamic as a whole.

[quote name='gilmour' post='55962' date='Sep 5 2007, 02:27 PM']wow, so many quick responses.

This is a real nooby question but I've not heard of Paul Jackson and Mike Clark can anyone enlighten me?[/quote]

Herbie Hancock & Headhunters (or was it just Headhunters). Check it out - funkEE!

[quote name='gilmour' post='55962' date='Sep 5 2007, 02:27 PM']wow, so many quick responses.

This is a real nooby question but I've not heard of Paul Jackson and Mike Clark can anyone enlighten me?[/quote]

Herbie Hancocks 70's rhythm section, Mike Clark took over duties from Harvey Mason to what was still basically the headhunters lineup.

Check out the 'Thrust' album for the pinnacle of interlocking funk grooves....Paul's unique stacatto grooves and Mike's linear drumming is a match made in heaven!

[quote name='The Funk' post='55974' date='Sep 5 2007, 02:49 PM']Herbie Hancock & Headhunters (or was it just Headhunters). Check it out - funkEE![/quote]

Headhunters was Harvey Mason....also not to be knocked. His grooves on Chameleon are still some of the best funk grooves laid done on tape.

Edited by Mikey D

Its been done - maybe back on BassWorld - and I cant be arsed to look for it.

Ox/Moon is still my favourite. With Moon attempting to play melodies on the drums and the Ox not being satisfied with Root Fifth it should have been a complete clusterf*** but it works because they were both so good.

Jones/Bonhom. Again it was Bonhoms drumming that allowed JPJ to be so funky.

Jamerson/Benjamin - no more needs to be said.

Sly/Robbie. You immediately know its them.

In addition to many of those mentioned above I would add:

Peter Cetera & Danny Seraphine (Chicago)
Tiran Porter & John Hartman/Keith Knudsen (Doobie Brothers)
Guy Pratt & Brian McLeod (Toy Matinee)
Ross Valory & Steve Smith (Journey)

I would have to add:

[b]Mike & Jeff Porcaro (Toto)[/b] - absolute class!

Also:

[b]Michael Anthony & Alex Van Halen (er... Van Halen)[/b]

I know Michael Anthony is not the best bass player in the world (some may even say he's not even the best bass player in Van Halen :) ), but you can't deny how solid the foundation is that lays down. And what a driving force that pair make, or should I say 'made' - I see that Eddie's now got his son, Wolfgang on low end duties for the 'reunion' tour. Now I'll admit I've not heard him play but I just can't see a teenager, no matter whose son he is, slotting into that band.

Toodle-pip

Matt

Edited by bassmanbish