adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Updated Southern list.

I'm removing myself due to the fact I don't have a gig or rehearsal soon.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='656315' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:53 PM']Got to confess it's still with me and I need to post my review so will try to do that later tonight

Probaby done about 8 gigs with it so far and reluctant to see it go but will try to assist it on it's trip further up North

Anyone about a third of the way between Bradford and Newcastle ??

Tony[/quote]
Hi Tony

Born 2B Mild has suggested [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63245&view=findpost&p=656356"]here[/url] that he might be able to pick it up on the way to Bass Day, and then bring it up to the NEBB on the 29th. Is that a possiblilty at your end?

If so, would you mind dropping him a PM, please?

Thanks!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='656315' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:53 PM']Got to confess it's still with me and I need to post my review so will try to do that later tonight

Probaby done about 8 gigs with it so far and reluctant to see it go but will try to assist it on it's trip further up North

Anyone about a third of the way between Bradford and Newcastle ??

Tony[/quote]
8 Gigs. U tart u!

Used the southern Compact in anger for first time at band practice yesterday.

We were in a room where the overall acoustics aren't good (every bass amp in our rehearsal place always sounds ropey) but the Compact did a pretty good job. Had to roll off the bass a bit but despite a lack of tweeter, the high notes rang out cleanly. It certainly handled the power without any complaint and didn't seem any less juicy than my normal 4-ohm cab. I really wanted to A/B it against my current cab but there wasn't room in the car to bring both (was giving a bandmate a lift...). So, first impressions are good. So nice to do a one handed lift from the car too.

Looking forward to gigging it in a regular venue of ours in a week or so, where I'll be able to really see how it compares with my current set-up.

Hi, Yorks5stringer collected the Northern compact yesterday and he will be passing it on to B2BM next week so he can bring it up to the NE bass bash

Review time

I have had the compact for a few weeks now and done quite a few gigs with it mainly pub gigs with the rock band I play in, one large function ( all with bass bins with the pa ) and one with my old soul/funk band ( with vocal only pa )

I have really enjoyed my time with it and I am quite sad to see it go as it has done an excellent job at all the gigs. I fairness I tend to use the pa quite a bit for additional bass weight but both me and the drummer like to hear plenty of bass on stage as well and we have had no trouble hearing the compact with the amp on half.

Confession time now. I have only been using the compact with my few years old Behringer amp so most of the tone has been pretty much straight forward rock bass but no doubt that a more sophisticated amp would add more tonal variety. Personally I don't tend to muck about with my sound too much and just like a nice thick bass sound that suits the songs we play.

Hope the following is taken constructively

I am not sure if the cab is "pre production" or as they all are but thought I should add these comments with regard to build/aesthetics etc

The corner covers, although working well could do with enhancing ( I believe this issue has been addressed )

The finish inside the bottom ports seems quite poor and perhaps should match the exterior finish. The exterior is probably a love or hate thing. I wasn't keen at first but it grew on me and seems very robust and is definitely "cat friendly" or rather cat unfriendly as my cat has taken chunks out of my other cabs over the years but left this well alone.

Personally I would like to see a little beading around the edge of the grill to make the finish better

Like I said I hope these comments on the aesthetics are taken as intended. When you are spending this sort of money you want the full package and I think these minor issues would definitely enhance the saleability of the cab.

The sonic performance and weight etc are excellent and it will definitely be on my shortlist when I eventually sell my house and have the money for a full upgrade

Thank you for the use of the cab, it's been a delight to transport and play through

Tony

[attachment=36941:bfcab.jpg] [attachment=36942:bfcab2.jpg]

Edited by tonybassplayer

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='663494' date='Nov 24 2009, 09:44 AM']I just think that by finishing the last two or three inches with the same exterior material would do the trick with minimal extra cost[/quote]

Indeed, though it isn't a cost issue, it's the challenge of getting the finish into the port once it's built as it's quite a narrow space.

Alex