Why become a member? ×

new or 2nd hand?

Jobiebass

Afternoon,
ive only ever bought 2 new basses, my first one which was some unnamed thing and an accoustic off ebay which I set on fire as it was that terrible.
All the other basses ive owned have been 2nd hand, mainly bought or traded from this very site.

Im looking at buying a Fender Areodyne, the black one without the pickguard MIJ with the smoked hardwear. There are a few about 2nd hand for £500ish posted. I was going to take the plunge but then I noticed they are only £600 new. £100 depresiation on a bass seams a little low as basses go. So now im wondering if I should just buy a new one as it'll prob come with warranty too.
Suggestions?

Edited by Jobiebass

i've bought a few new, a few second hand, and altho the New Bass vibe is shiny and nice...you can't beat picking up a used bass with a bit of a character and finding all the nuances and moods it's got :)

Also, the depreciation from a new Ray @ £1100 and a second hand, mint condition one at £700 is a sting (pardon the pun!)

With such a small difference in price just buy the best one, if one is £100 more but a better bass then that's the one i'd go for. Similarly if the 2nd hand one has a few knocks but is nicer then i'd get that one!

Well actually i'd buy that cheap Thumb on here but meh

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='528018' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:17 PM']With such a small difference in price just buy the best one, if one is £100 more but a better bass then that's the one i'd go for. Similarly if the 2nd hand one has a few knocks but is nicer then i'd get that one!

Well actually i'd buy that cheap Thumb on here but meh[/quote]

well the better one would be the new one. they are identical basses, just one is new. hummm

I'm always up for a nice secondhand bargain (I've never owned a brand new bass amp in 20yrs of playing) but it totally depends on what's on offer and is very difficult to comment without seeing / playing the goods. It's a minefield out there - people get great deals and people get ripped off.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='528023' date='Jun 29 2009, 07:28 PM']well the better one would be the new one. they are identical basses, just one is new. hummm[/quote]

One might just naturally sound better, have better construction, nicer sounding pickups. Although seeing as they are MIJ quality is likely to be pretty consistent there may be some variation.

Warranties etc. are nice... but on the other hand, I'm sure you could find a use for that £100.

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't like making big purchases on eBay anymore so for such a low % off the new price I wouldn't go for it. If it was a BassChat sale then I'd definitely vote for used.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='528081' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:27 PM']Warranties etc. are nice... but on the other hand, I'm sure you could find a use for that £100.

Edit: Thinking about it, I don't like making big purchases on eBay anymore so for such a low % off the new price I wouldn't go for it. If it was a BassChat sale then I'd definitely vote for used.[/quote]

Yeah its a Basschat one I was thinking of for £500 delivered, or GAK for the new one at £600 delivered.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='528084' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:30 PM']Yeah its a Basschat one I was thinking of for £500 delivered, or GAK for the new one at £600 delivered.[/quote]
Sorry, I didn't read your original post properly there.

To be honest, I'd trust just about anyone here on BC a lot more than I trust GAK. They probably haven't actually got it in stock anyway. :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='528119' date='Jun 29 2009, 09:02 PM']I'd try to get the seller of the secondhand one to give the price a bit of a haircut to make it a more attractive deal.[/quote]

Was thinking that but on ebay and on here they have all previously gone for £475-500 so I didnt wanna be cheaky as delivery is free. I dont think £500 is a bad price concidering those facts. just supprised these basses keep their price so well.

£500 is a decent price, but £600 new is Musicman 2nd hand prices and id love a stirlin for a while. altho ive just got rid of an amazing 'ray so maybe I shouldnt. lol

Why not buy the bass that you are most comfortable with and feels good to you, If its the more expensive, at least you will be able to get on with it, rather than pot luck on a bass you struggle with for less of a price in the first place, and maybe may not even get the chance to play before buying??

I've only ever bought 2 basses new - a Stingray and a Warwick Streamer Std - the Warwick when I was 16, and the Stingray when I was 19. The other 10+(ish) have all been 2nd hand. I think it would have to be a very special instrument for me to buy brand new again...

I'd imagine most S/H basses have been played a lot less than one thats 'New' thats been in a shop for a time and played by everyone who has ever gone in :) but try proving this theory to the shop owner for a shop soiled bass and he will always call it 'new'.

If a second hand bass older than a few years has a straight neck then it won´t bend ´til the end of it´s life because the wood is fully dried. But if you get a new one you will have no guaranty that it will be playable in a few years because the neck might bend.

I totally prefer the vibe and feel of used instruments. I really don't like new stuff that hasn't been played in enough.

My no 1 bass is great, but I got it in as new condition (for a second hand price!). I'd much prefer it to have been 'around the block' a few times, so to speak.

Second hand is great, provided you can be patient til what you want comes up. For example, I now have a full Berg IP rig for a little under half of what one would cost new. The IP112 on its own cost me less than it would to fund an average rig bought second hand with separate cab and power amp section.

Particularly with instruments, it's a good way to let someone else take the hit for buying new. Also, on a forum like this you get to know who has similar tastes to you, who looks after their gear, who sells things on frequently, and who gives good deals. You can also hear rumours about people moving things on and ask them personally if they'd be willing to part with something.

Also, second hand instruments have been vetted by someone already. Thus, the bad ones get weeded out, and the good ones survive (or don't get sold).

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='528681' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:08 PM']Also, second hand instruments have been vetted by someone already. Thus, the bad ones get weeded out, and the good ones survive (or don't get sold).[/quote]

But then why is it being sold? someone has vetted it and rejected it!

Having said that I agree with everything else you say, and 4 out of 5 of my basses were second hand, and the fifth I built myself.