Why become a member? ×

Going from combo to seperates.

charic

With my acg nigh on complete. My next logical step is an upgrade in amp. Im currently using a line6 300. Dont get me wrong its a great amp but it just doesnt make me go ooooh anymore. I love the svt setting so logic dictates ampeg. However im not sure what else to try or even where. I may wait for the next nearby bash i suppose. I like playing high energy rock and have a keen interest in prog too. Weight is also an issue as my flat is up 4 flights of stairs. Rik

The best option if you want a fairly portable setup is probably one of the new lightweight heads. Mark Bass Little Mark 2/3, Genz Benz Shuttlemax 6/12....and then whatever cabs you choose I suppose....depending on your needs.

There are some excellent amp heads that don't weigh huge amount, but still have the 'normal size' to them. Thats if you didnt want to go down the lightweight route I guess.

Ampeg wise...the only amps Ive tested are SVT-3 Pro, Classic, and the VR. The two all tube heads weigh an absolute ton....even more than my Orange head, so you'd have to go and see what you think.

SVT-3 Pro is a good overall amp. Its not incredibly loud, but 450w at 4ohms is pretty damn loud. I think at 8 ohms it just doesnt really shine at all. It does have a little Ampeg grunt to it.

The amp world is your oyster...there are so many amps around now....good time to be a bass player.

If you really like the Ampeg overddriven tube sound, and you dont want the weight/price, then get a Little Mark 3 and run a Tech 21 VT / Sansamp Bass Driver through it....perfect.

Good luck...

[quote name='charic' post='519815' date='Jun 21 2009, 10:48 AM']....I like playing high energy rock and have a keen interest in prog too. Weight is also an issue as my flat is up 4 flights of stairs....[/quote]
You've got to move or Ampeg's out! You could try a Barefaced Compact and a Markbass.

Edited by chris_b

You do not necessarily need to go to seperates; Ampeg does do quite some good combo's in different shapes and sizes. For rock they are extremely well usable!

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba300/210.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba300/210.html[/url]

Not very lightweight (but does have removable casters), but very good sound when I played it. Also, it's a hybrid amp as it has a tube pre-amp; very warm sound to it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='519835' date='Jun 21 2009, 11:11 AM']Ampeg wise...the only amps Ive tested are SVT-3 Pro, Classic, and the VR. The two all tube heads weigh an absolute ton....even more than my Orange head, so you'd have to go and see what you think.[/quote]

I'm not sure which Ampeg heads you're referring too but I wouldn't say the Ampeg V4BH (all tube) weighs a ton. Its half the weight of the 300 watt SVT CL @ 40 pounds. I have it & it sounds amazing but you ideally need multiple cabs, or one very sensitive cab to make it really loud for bigger gigs.

I'd try out as many different amps as you can. 4 flights of stairs is a lot to contend with so you'd have to really notice the difference in sound to go for a heavier/bigger setup, as you will definitely notice the difference moving it about! :)

[quote name='Bananaman' post='519874' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:02 PM']I'm not sure which Ampeg heads you're referring too but I wouldn't say the Ampeg V4BH (all tube) weighs a ton. Its half the weight of the 300 watt SVT CL @ 40 pounds. I have it & it sounds amazing but you ideally need multiple cabs, or one very sensitive cab to make it really loud for bigger gigs.

I'd try out as many different amps as you can. 4 flights of stairs is a lot to contend with so you'd have to really notice the difference in sound to go for a heavier/bigger setup, as you will definitely notice the difference moving it about! :)[/quote]

I was referring to the Classic and the VR...both very similar weights, 300 Tube Watts, massive head. Good sound though :rolleyes:

If i lived up 4 flights of stairs i'd sell my bass gear and take up the harmonica!

Seriously, Markbass/Genz and a single efficient lightweight cab that can handle plenty of lows (Barefaced etc.) I'd invest in a decent quality bag for your head and leads too. Being able to load your gear in/out in one trip is a great feeling!

you might want to check out the [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=81"]Markbass R500[/url] and a Barefaced [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]Compact[/url], [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html"]Big One[/url], or [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thevintage.html"]Vintage[/url] -- depending on what you want/need/can afford/etc.

+1 on the Genz Benz - I have a Shuttle 6.0 and am very happy with it - light as a feather, 12AX7 tube and LOUD - build quality seems good. Couple of nice things - especially if you are used to older style amps; you can DI without a dummy speaker load, plus headphones and aux in are handy - overall well worth a try IMO.

[quote name='charic' post='519926' date='Jun 21 2009, 01:18 PM']I've tried some markbass stuff before. I found them quite clinical sounding but that was all combo stuff will probably have to look around though![/quote]

Try the heads through a different cab. Mine goes through a Schroeder 1212r and it can do clean and hifi but also dirties up nicely with my MXR. With the Schroeder you can whack loads of low mids through it for a grittier rock tone.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='519951' date='Jun 21 2009, 02:00 PM']Try the heads through a different cab. Mine goes through a Schroeder 1212r and it can do clean and hifi but also dirties up nicely with my MXR. With the Schroeder you can whack loads of low mids through it for a grittier rock tone.[/quote]

+1...try different cabs and use a pedal.

If you like the Line6 sound then get their amp head:

It's the cabs which make the most difference when it comes to weight (as they are huge and ungainly to start with!). Team up that head with a nice lightweight cab and you'll be onto a winner.

I'll second the Mark Bass LMII (or the TA 501 or whatever it is- T-TUBE, A - analog power) The LMII is solid state with analog power- different to the digital MB amps, a warmer sound IMO. BUT I totally understand where U R comin from. I've got an Ampeg V4BH-all tube 100w,& a SVTII -300w all tube. & I love the Ampeg all tube sound dearly. I also think that NONE of Ampeg's other models -apart from the all tube amps- sound anywhere NEAR the real -all tube models. Now I've NOT liked most other amps & have used all tube gear all my life, but if I lived up 4 flites of stairs, I'd do the following(if at ALL possible) 1.., MOVE house. or if cannot- 2. store my bass gear somewhere safe & reliable w/ ground floor access. 3. Buy a load of lite gear- ( this wasn't an option when I was startin out!!)
BUT recently I've been SO impressed w/ the Mark Bass LMII amp. I do stick a Tech 21 VT bass pedal in front of it mostly- tho it's still a warm amp. But the VT bass pedal really does give U 99% of the TUBE amp sound, I even use it for when I want the "SVT just at the point of overdrive" point w/out the HUGE volume.- even WITH my SVT powering it all. So a LMII amp & a VT bass pedal into a good cab would be MY choice if I couldn't have ground floor access. YMMV of course!
Good luck

Ok im going to be research the tech 21 pedal i think. TBH a heavy amp wont kill me. ( My combo is 91lbs) its heavy speakers with the awkwardness of carrying that do it. A light 4x10 could be a godsend. Its just a matter of trialing the bloody things in all their incarnations. Should be fun!

Well I'm more than happy to extend the trial period on the Compact if you want to go round and A/B it against lots of 4x10"s! Would be very interesting to get a comprehensive report on how many of them it beats, how many it can keep up with, and which select few go louder and lower.

Alex

I may well take you up on that at some point alex! I have to admit in only glancing at your products at present. However I may organise some proper tests, based on the way my dissertation worked. Ill pm you with ideas later this week.

Rik