Why become a member? ×

middle finger usage

Bay Splayer

surely not using your little finger is imposing a restriction on yourself and your playing that could be overcome without much difficulty. Although that said I've realised I massively favour my little finger and barely use my ring finger.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519083' date='Jun 20 2009, 09:59 AM']i do not use the middle finger of my fretting hand [b][color="#000000"]at all[/color][/b], anyone else here the same?

my brother (a guitar teacher) reckons i should :rolleyes:

i reckon.....as i am a fairly competent player.....then....if it aint broke, dont fix it :lol:[/quote]
Eh? what? how???? are you just playing in the box all the time?

I only use one finger of each hand to type and that doesn't cause any major problems... :)

I used mine to admonish a bus driver sailing past me at the stop the other night.

slightly more on topic, yes it is perfectly sensible to consciously not use the digits of the hand articulating notes on your instrument. I also practice in front of a full length mirror after a rigorous bout of GRIPMASTER but before my 45 MINUTE SPEED TAPPING REGIME.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519083' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:59 AM']i do not use the middle finger of my fretting hand [b][color="#000000"]at all[/color][/b], anyone else here the same?

i reckon.....as i am a fairly competent player.....then....if it aint broke, dont fix it :D[/quote]
How do you manage that? :) Most people use 1-2-4 (index-middle-little) to cover consecutive frets, unless they're playing one-finger-per-fret (and that's another world you're missing out on there). I don't have a bass to hand at the moment, but it seems like 1-3-4 (index-ring-little) would be a bit of a squeeze between the 1 and 3, and bit of a stretch between the 3 and 4.

But, as you say, if it ain't broke... :lol:

I'd say that if you are happy and you can do everything you want to then don't bother changing. Lots of very good musicians have weird technique, Guitarists Gary Moore and Vivian Campbell pretty much only use 3 fingers on their fretting hand, and Django only used two I believe (through necessity admittedly)

The middle finger?!! I can understand not using the ring finger if you're a 1-2-4 person or not using the little finger if you got into that habit from early on and have never played any genres that demand octaves (or have HUGE hands) but the middle finger? That's almost as useful as the index finger!

Alex

Even if you can get away with not using your middle finger, it would be worth getting used to it just to make sure that you don't have to completely relearn your technique to play something that would require it in the future.

I'd take on board any criticism from guitar teachers too and learn from it - if it's noticeable enough for people to comment on it then it's probably worth considering the potential problems with it...there are long term problems that can be caused by certain stresses through floors in technique, so I'd aim to get everything as perfect as possible so you keep playing for years and years.

The one finger per fret technique works best for me. I couldn't play like that straight away but it's definately been beneficial persevering and getting used to using it all the time.

You are seriously limiting your technique by not utilizing the advantage of using all 4 fingers when playing, you may find it a hindrance but it is almost etiquette to use all four fingers on the fretting hand.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519083' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:59 AM']i do not use the middle finger of my fretting hand [b][color="#000000"]at all[/color][/b], anyone else here the same?

i reckon.....as i am a fairly competent player.....then....if it aint broke, dont fix it :lol:[/quote]

:)

why not ..its the root finger

ps..you dont have to do what all the big guys do...just do it right!!

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='519299' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:06 PM']:)

why not ..its the root finger[/quote]

Exactly!
If you don't use your middle finger, playing a major scale in box form will be a PITA.
I don't think it's right to say if it ain't broke don't fix it in this instance cause you are seriously limiting yourself.
Learn to use all fingers...That includes the picking hand too. :rolleyes:

How can you say you fire on all pistons when one isn't working?

[quote name='Kongo' post='519304' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:19 PM']Exactly!
If you don't use your middle finger, playing a major scale in box form will be a PITA.
I don't think it's right to say if it ain't broke don't fix it in this instance cause you are seriously limiting yourself.
Learn to use all fingers...That includes the picking hand too. :rolleyes:

How can you say you fire on all pistons when one isn't working?[/quote]

brilliant kongo

first principles...and bass ic...thumb behind neck..always...and middle finger for root
learn all your modes from this position as well
:)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='519309' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:23 PM']brilliant kongo

first principles...and bass ic...thumb behind neck..always...and middle finger for root
learn all your modes from this position as well
:)[/quote]

Yes...Although I DO sometimes move my thumb from the back of the neck if it makes playing something easier...you'll be surprised how many do that.
But yes, my middle finger is root, everything learned from it first and still, anything i make this finger is root.

Never knew it actually was though...I was thinking the other day "Why do I start with this finger and not the index"...Guess cause shapes are better with middle as root. :rolleyes:

If you can play what you want to play and achieve what you want to achieve on the instrument it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether you use your middle finger, a slice of sponge cake or a Fiat Panda.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='519364' date='Jun 20 2009, 04:13 PM']If you can play what you want to play and achieve what you want to achieve on the instrument it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether you use your middle finger, a slice of sponge cake or a Fiat Panda.[/quote]
true, but you might be inclined to suggest he would find it easier if he used a lighter car, or no car at all.

Give the middle finger a go, what have you got to loose. I recon you'll open up a whole vast arena of posibilities that you were struggling with before.

[quote name='paul h' post='519364' date='Jun 20 2009, 03:13 PM']If you can play what you want to play and achieve what you want to achieve on the instrument it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether you use your middle finger, a slice of sponge cake or a Fiat Panda.[/quote]
Oh, I dunno.

plus

equals

I think even just ignoring the obvious flaw in the technique (by most peoples standard), I'm assuming by ommiting the use of your middle finger, it's floating (ie not flat on the fingerboard), and so you're going to start having tendon issues after time!. Using all fingers and therefore spreading the tension of fretting across the whole hand will stop this!

Si

[quote name='SteveO' post='519367' date='Jun 20 2009, 03:19 PM']true, but you might be inclined to suggest he would find it easier if he used a lighter car, or no car at all.

Give the middle finger a go, what have you got to loose. I recon you'll open up a whole vast arena of posibilities that you were struggling with before.[/quote]

like being able to play scales for one...or any run really!

A lot of what I play tends to be in minor scales or pentatonic / blues, which tend to leave the middle finger a bit under-used.
That said, I still use it for major scales (in the box), chromatic runs and passing notes- there's a lot of legitimate use for 1,2,3,4
or 1,2,3 on consecutive frets...

[quote name='paul h' post='519364' date='Jun 20 2009, 03:13 PM']If you can play what you want to play and achieve what you want to achieve on the instrument it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether you use your middle finger, a slice of sponge cake or a Fiat Panda.[/quote]

i think for fender it would be more appropriate to use a buick sedan or a pontiac