Why become a member? ×

middle finger usage

Bay Splayer

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='521904' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:41 PM']You've missed my point a bit again... fine if someone wants to make a conscious effort to amend a technique that they believe hinders them in someway then go for it, if they can get by and be happy with their playing then what's the point?[/quote]

If you play for long periods of time floating one finger cause you don't use it, it's gonna cause perma damage in the long run.
That's 1 point.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519540' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:02 PM']jesus christ :lol:

feel like you lot are giving me a right bollocking :)

s`pose i`ll give it a go though :rolleyes:[/quote]

the finger thing is secondary to supporting west ham to be honest, thats the real problem! COYS!

[quote name='Kongo' post='521907' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:43 PM']If you play for long periods of time floating one finger cause you don't use it, it's gonna cause perma damage in the long run.
That's 1 point.[/quote]

Definitely that's something I would agree with, the long effects of bad technique on the hands.

Without meaning to be purposely argumentative, the very nature of being a bass player is putting your hands in what is otherwise unnatural positionings, and as with all things, time and practice enables a person to do these things. On the basis that the original poster seemed happy enough with his technique, in spite of several suggestions to amend his unusual use of fingering, I was only really trying to point out that being content with yourself means that suggestions from other people to change your technique only go so far. There is no better thing than good technique to me as a bassist, and I've practiced long and hard to establish this, but I think it's a personal decision, and if you're in a position where you're in demand as a good player, or you're content with your playing, then it doesn't matter, as long as you're doing yourself no harm.

Perhaps in any other situation i.e. if that person wanted to actively amend their technique I would have argued otherwise, but in this case I can't see it would make a massive difference. But that's just my opinion.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='522950' date='Jun 24 2009, 08:44 PM']i dont find it hard to play the way i do[/quote]

Then no problem....

Groove or feel is far more important and you can't learn that.. if you have it..people will know.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='522950' date='Jun 24 2009, 08:44 PM']i dont find it hard to play the way i do[/quote]

True but I can play with one finger...that doesn't mean can't play better without the rest.
Your missing out on a lot...If you set your mind before this thread anyways then fine, but your missing a lot and that finger is gonna cause you HUGE pain one day, that won't go away!

Little finger? That's floating anyways but even then...But middle finger...I smell trouble.

Edited by Kongo

It's difficult to judge how you play without seeing you play, but hearing that you don't use your middle finger would lead me to expect to see a way of playing that could potentially lead to problems in the future, even if you find it comfortable to play now...I could be wrong, but that's what I'd expect to see.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that people who develop conditions like tendonitis and RSI haven't developed them because they've always played in a way that put them in pain or caused constant discomfort...I've known and worked closely with at least two people who have developed these kinds of problems and in both cases it has been subtle elements of their technique and posture that has caused them, and of course, this has caught them out when the problems have arisen.

I consider myself lucky to have never developed any issues, despite always being well aware of them (my guitar teacher had tendonitis) and working hard to develop good technique and posture, and I sometimes find it difficult to understand the arguement that if it works for you, it's okay. I agree with that arguement in a sense, but anyone who loves to play bass and wants to play bass in the long run could do a lot worse than re-evaluate technique to make sure that they always will be able to play, even if they are comfortable at the moment.