Why become a member? ×

middle finger usage

Bay Splayer

[quote name='NickThomas' post='519394' date='Jun 20 2009, 03:57 PM']I hope my brother doesnt read this thread. He lifted up the edge of a lawn mower the other day and took the top off his middle finger. He's having it officially taken back to the knuckle this afternoon because the bone wasn't knitting back together.[/quote]That has to be my worst nightmare, losing any parts of my fingers would be devastating. Does he play an instrument?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='519408' date='Jun 20 2009, 04:14 PM']That has to be my worst nightmare, losing any parts of my fingers would be devastating. Does he play an instrument?[/quote]
Yep he plays 6 skinny strings. I'm sure he'll be able to conditon himself to the length of the new finger, but it'll take some years I reckon.

Due to suffering a compound fracture and dislocation of my left pinky finger about 10 years ago in a goalkeeping incident, I have very little strengh in that side of my hand:the power side of your hand, the other side (thumb etc) is where you get your dexterity from.

Due to this I use my 1st and 2nd and ocasionally my 3rd finger to fret with. My pinky is of no use as it`s as bent as an arabs dagger. Do I worry about left hand technique? Na! B*llocks to that. I know that it limits my abilities as a player but by moving my fingers very fast I seem to get away with it. Well, most times.

Jez

[quote name='NickThomas' post='519435' date='Jun 20 2009, 05:03 PM']Yep he plays 6 skinny strings. I'm sure he'll be able to conditon himself to the length of the new finger, but it'll take some years I reckon.[/quote]

Darn, that's bad news. Tony Iommi forged a pretty successful career after his accident though.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519540' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:02 PM']jesus christ :lol:

feel like you lot are giving me a right bollocking :)

s`pose i`ll give it a go though :rolleyes:[/quote]

My advice would be just to try it . If it's not comfy then don't over do it. Find the most comfortable way you can to play bass and then if you're a lucky soldier, your hand wont be crippled up with arthritis in 30 years :-)

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='519540' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:02 PM']jesus christ :lol:

You didn't mention what sort of music you play, which makes a difference.
If you feel your current technique is limiting your ability to play what you want then changing it makes sense.
If you can play the sort of stuff you want with no problem then why change?

[quote name='Josh' post='519243' date='Jun 20 2009, 12:58 PM']You are seriously limiting your technique by not utilizing the advantage of using all 4 fingers when playing, you may find it a hindrance but it is almost etiquette to use all four fingers on the fretting hand.[/quote]

Does that also go for plucking hand ?. Seems to me that most people use just two fingers on the plucking hand, but that doesn't get derided.
Peronally I used all five digits on the plucking hand and the 4 fingers on the fretting hand ( may hand is not big enough for the thumb to come round teh top, even if I wanted it to).

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='520052' date='Jun 21 2009, 04:47 PM']Does that also go for plucking hand ?. Seems to me that most people use just two fingers on the plucking hand, but that doesn't get derided.
Peronally I used all five digits on the plucking hand and the 4 fingers on the fretting hand ( may hand is not big enough for the thumb to come round teh top, even if I wanted it to).[/quote]

Not strictly, 2 is usually enough for everything and anything (For 70% of us at least), using more on the plucking hand is seen more for the speed advantage or general variety and isn't really debated because differences/advantages are obvious and are optional. The left hand technique needs to be correct and well practiced before both hands finally fall into place.

I'd disagree with everyone that has told you that you're limiting your technique by not using your middle finger, simply because if you're happy enough with using what you've got already then why does it matter? If you can get by, then it's fine.

Leland Sklar, session ace with the likes of James Taylor, Toto, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and countless other people never uses his pinky ever and claims to have awful technique, and he was/still is one of the most sought after session aces on the planet.

Middle finger all the way
I'm not into what other players do and get away with doing that because, we are not those other players.
Same as strap length.

Give it a go. I think your missing a lot by not using it.

[quote]I'd disagree with everyone that has told you that you're limiting your technique by not using your middle finger, simply because if you're happy enough with using what you've got already then why does it matter? If you can get by, then it's fine.[/quote]
If Bay Splayer only wants to "get by", then, I'm in agreement...hopefully, he wants more than that.

[quote name='SteveK' post='520757' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:13 PM']If Bay Splayer only wants to "get by", then, I'm in agreement...hopefully, he wants more than that.[/quote]

+1

Going down the route of acceptance like "I'll never be able to do that / play like that" is not as much ignorance as it is dangerous.
Think in the way that you CAN do this and this is easy and you'll get better.

Use this finger...it's easy, you know it makes sence.
It's only gonna cramp up on a 2 hour gig anyways.

[quote name='SteveK' post='520757' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:13 PM']If Bay Splayer only wants to "get by", then, I'm in agreement...hopefully, he wants more than that.[/quote]

You missed my original point a bit, which is that if he's happy currently, then no amount of forcing anyone to play the way they prefer because it's kinda fruitless. Plenty of good players out there that have irregular technique.

I'd have to side with the technique camp here. Individuality is fine, but not using a middle finger makes things much harder than they need to be and will complicate playing to a far greater extent than, for example, not using your little finger or plucking with your index finger only.

My 2 cents, anyway....:)

I don't think it's right to say to someone it's ok not to use a certain finger.
Yeah "some players" do this and that but we ain't "some players".
I seriously feel that before you go too far with a bad techneque you should pull it back.

I don't understand this finger business...from day one I felt that using all fingers was the way...didn't know there was another.
Therefore I got nearly a decade worth of little finger strength.

I'm just trying to pass this on.
Thumb behind the neck vs Baseball bat grip...well I'm not fussed on that as I use both.
But omiting one finger is limiting somewhat.

You have all of those pistons at the ready...when one doesn't fire it needs sorting.
Get me? :)

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='520439' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:38 AM']Leland Sklar, session ace with the likes of James Taylor, Toto, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and countless other people never uses his pinky ever and claims to have awful technique, and he was/still is one of the most sought after session aces on the planet.[/quote]
I really don't want to labour the point here...but,
I suggest that Leland Sklar is successful [i]in spite[/i] of his bad technique not [i]because of it.[/i]

[quote name='SteveK' post='521334' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:15 AM']I really don't want to labour the point here...but,
I suggest that Leland Sklar is successful [i]in spite[/i] of his bad technique not [i]because of it.[/i][/quote]

Oh of course... I just think there is no substitute for good musicianship, whereas there is probably quite a lot to say for a good musician with unorthodox technique. Jamerson used one finger to play on his right hand, and the man is now bass personified.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='521368' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:34 AM']Oh of course... I just think there is no substitute for good musicianship, whereas there is probably quite a lot to say for a good musician with unorthodox technique. Jamerson used one finger to play on his right hand, and the man is now bass personified.[/quote]

"The hook"...but remember, he was a Double Bassist turned Electric bassist and had action set about 3/4" off the last fret...Does anyone here do that?
His hand strength from the double bass made him able to do this but that's in no way as comparable as omiting one finger on the fretboard.
People also play with picks and use NO fingers on the picking hand...but STILL use a fair number of fingers on the fretting hand.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='521896' date='Jun 23 2009, 05:34 PM']"The hook"...but remember, he was a Double Bassist turned Electric bassist and had action set about 3/4" off the last fret...Does anyone here do that?
His hand strength from the double bass made him able to do this but that's in no way as comparable as omiting one finger on the fretboard.
People also play with picks and use NO fingers on the picking hand...but STILL use a fair number of fingers on the fretting hand.[/quote]

You've missed my point a bit again... fine if someone wants to make a conscious effort to amend a technique that they believe hinders them in someway then go for it, if they can get by and be happy with their playing then what's the point?