Why become a member? ×

Wow....

I used to have one of their 6 strings in the 80s (got it and a Fender P off an old neighbour for about £20 the pair or something stupid). It was called a Modular - the whole control plate lifted straight out so you could slot in a different spec circuit and control set. Mine had a quirky squeaky sound and a neck like a lollystick. I gave it away to a mate in the end when I moved house - spoke to him last week, he still has it but says the thin neck makes it almost unplayable. :)

edit : found a pic of what my Modular was like.

Edited by Ou7shined

I'm not sure it's a thing of huge beauty, but it's very quirky so I like it. :rolleyes:

One thing I'm wondering about is the string guides either side of the bridge pickups. I mean, obviously they aren't string guides but they're identical to the ones on the headstock. They're located where I'd expect to see screws for a pickup cover (if it ever had one) but, errr... why? :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='515047' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:05 AM']How utterly cool is this?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-VINTAGE-HAYMAN-40-40-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-MAPLE_W0QQitemZ220435588581QQcmdZViewItemQQ"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-VINTAGE-HAYMAN-...QcmdZViewItemQQ[/url][/quote]
I have to go against popular opinion and agree with you here -- it's gorgeous. The slab body kind of reminds me of my beloved SUB, and that perspex bridge is quite something. Mmmmmmm. :wub:

I had one of those way back when. I'd forgotten all about it but the pictures reminded me. That may well be it :)

It has a coating on the fingerboard - some kind of polyurathane (?)which was different to the contemporary basses (maybe the Ric 4001 had that too?) Felt very fast and comfortable.
Yep it had a huge bridge and pickup "smoked perspex" cover. That was slide fit so you could change a string. You can see the screw holes where it had neck pup cover too. They matched the scratch plate.

I remember it weighing a ton and having an odd smell when things got hot on stage ..
Don't remember how it sounded....

I'm with Steve Soar and Bottom Endian on this one - I think that's bloody lovely.

And the state it's in has more mojo than Muddy Waters' old boxers.

If the price stays low, I might have a punt on this one (unless SS or BE have first dibs, that is).

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='515418' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:02 PM']If the price stays low, I might have a punt on this one (unless SS or BE have first dibs, that is).[/quote]
Far too poor at the moment, especially with the Barefaced Vintage looming over the horizon...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='515427' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:11 PM']I agree the crazing is fabulous but I'm not so sure that the price is all that low Jack - have a gander [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/buying.html"]here[/url]

The neck plate pic has me a wee bit scared too.[/quote]
Dunno about the price. I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't the Hayman be a bit more desirable than the Shergolds in that list (older, rarer, all that stuff)?

I know what you mean about the neck plate. I'd like to see underneath. It looks like a small mammal might have burrowed in and used it as a bed, and then as a latrine. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='515449' date='Jun 16 2009, 04:36 PM']Far too poor at the moment, especially with the Barefaced Vintage looming over the horizon...

Dunno about the price. I'm by no means an expert, but wouldn't the Hayman be a bit more desirable than the Shergolds in that list (older, rarer, all that stuff)?

I know what you mean about the neck plate. I'd like to see underneath. It looks like a small mammal might have burrowed in and used it as a bed, and then as a latrine. :)[/quote]

The Hayman (always raised snigger there) 4040 was considerd as good as a P bass at the time. It was a credible workhorse bass and a forward looking thing with those perspex bits and the coating on the fretboard. The Modular bit was revolutionary, of course. A bit gimmicky for a working bass thouggh.

I'd not be surprised to see this go for upwards of £250 (but please don't offer it to me for £300 if you buy it :rolleyes:)

See where you're coming from Rich, but the problem with those price guides is that they're invariably undated, and they stay on the internet for ever.

My Special Subject is vintage Hofners and I can point you at price guides written ... ooh ... three years ago, which fall about laughing at the notion of paying £300 for a 1964 Senator. You'll not find one for less than £500 on eBay these days, and they peaked last summer at nearer £750.

If I paid £300 for that 40/40 and found it to be playable right from the box then I'd be perfectly happy, and also very confident of getting my money back at a later date.

My biggest concern is the vendor's reference to "restoring" the bass. Does he just mean the finish? Or is he saying the electrics are f*cked, the truss-rod has seized, and that awful nut has been super-glued in place?

In fairness, he states quite clearly that the bass is "in full working order".

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='515166' date='Jun 16 2009, 12:12 PM']There would have originally been a 'smoked' perspex bridge cover which was kept in place by being wedged in by the string retainy thingies.[/quote]

Cheers for clearing that one up - that would make total sense. In a quirky British sort of way. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='515512' date='Jun 16 2009, 05:33 PM']See where you're coming from Rich, but the problem with those price guides is that they're invariably undated, and they stay on the internet for ever.

My Special Subject is vintage Hofners and I can point you at price guides written ... ooh ... three years ago, which fall about laughing at the notion of paying £300 for a 1964 Senator. You'll not find one for less than £500 on eBay these days, and they peaked last summer at nearer £750.

If I paid £300 for that 40/40 and found it to be playable right from the box then I'd be perfectly happy, and also very confident of getting my money back at a later date.

My biggest concern is the vendor's reference to "restoring" the bass. Does he just mean the finish? Or is he saying the electrics are f*cked, the truss-rod has seized, and that awful nut has been super-glued in place?

In fairness, he states quite clearly that the bass is "in full working order".[/quote]
Point taken. :rolleyes:
Fill yer boots but good luck keeping that G string on the fretboard. :)