Why become a member? ×

Wow....

i think its great looking, but would be so much better looking if the pickguard was black.

also - "if you love this piece then you would take your time restoring it". errr... provided it works, no i wouldn't. the awful condition is one of the things i like about it, like an old beaten up gibson grabber, i'd love one of those.

Edited by Tait

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='515948' date='Jun 16 2009, 11:52 PM']Mark King used to play one of these before he got his first ever Jaydee! Not many people know that![/quote]

OMG I have something in common with Mark King :rolleyes:

I bet his was slung higher than mine thogh :)

All the covers that spring to mind are later than 71/72 - I'm thinking [i]Sad Wings Of Destiny, Toys In The Attic[/i], etc.

However, I did take the photos of this 4040 to my techie/luthier, Andy Gibson. I've had good results in the past from running stuff by him before bidding.

He reckons it's all-original and really cool, but "Why would you want to buy a bass that's been stored in a puddle for several years?". :rolleyes:

He says the cracking to the front is water damage, the staining under the neckplate is where water has seeped into the wood from the screw holes over a long period, and that the truss-rod is probably a mass of green corrosion. The neck has suffered badly and replacing that binding won't be easy. Potentially there's a re-fret waiting to happen, too.

At some point, I'm sure the phrase "10-foot bargepole" was mentioned ...

Consider me gone.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='517275' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:43 AM']He says the cracking to the front is water damage, the staining under the neckplate is where water has seeped into the wood from the screw holes over a long period, and that the truss-rod is probably a mass of green corrosion. The neck has suffered badly and replacing that binding won't be easy. Potentially there's a re-fret waiting to happen, too.

At some point, I'm sure the phrase "10-foot bargepole" was mentioned ...[/quote]
This is all really useful information. We need a resident luthier in the eBay Links forum. It'd certainly help us separate the wheat from the chaff. :rolleyes: Seems like whoever gets this Hayman is going to end up with a body that [i]might[/i] be salvageable (if the water hasn't done too much damage) and a neck that's probably not even any good for bludgeoning people.

It's starting to look like my latrine theory could have been spot on. :)

• 1 year later...