Why become a member? ×

Getting rid of my two month old UL212. offers?

dave_bass5

As some of you may know i got this from wood&tronics back in June. since thne its had two new, S1 drivers and now ids working fine.
I also have a Epifani padded cover, cost me around £60. Its very thick and well padded.
Basically i dont like the sound. not enough punch for my liking so it has to go.
cost in total inc cover is around £870, looking for offers around £600 and central London collection only. Welcome to come and try it of course.

[url="http://www.epifani.com/products/concert212.php"]Epifani UL212 webpage.[/url]

Any takers? Not interested in any swaps apart from maybe Schroeders (as thats what i need the money for)

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

Dave,

Slow down dude - you seem to be rushing from crisis to crisis losing money by the fistful along the way. You have enough gear to open your own shop there and still have not found sonic nirvana. You are selling this cos its not punchy enough yet are gonna get another Schroeder that are known to have a mid peak rather than punch.

I think you need to take a step back, work out what you like and why, what you dont like and why, so you can sell what you dont like and get more of what you like. If you thought Schroeder was the way to go you would not have got the Epi.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='53663' date='Aug 31 2007, 11:59 PM']Dave,

Slow down dude - you seem to be rushing from crisis to crisis losing money by the fistful along the way. You have enough gear to open your own shop there and still have not found sonic nirvana. You are selling this cos its not punchy enough yet are gonna get another Schroeder that are known to have a mid peak rather than punch.

I think you need to take a step back, work out what you like and why, what you dont like and why, so you can sell what you dont like and get more of what you like. If you thought Schroeder was the way to go you would not have got the Epi.[/quote]

You make some good points and yes i am rushing this a bit. As for the amount of gear, thats because as i dont drive i keep a rig with each of my drummers so although i have a lot, most of its used all the time.
Here my thoughts on why im selling.
I have been using my 1210 for over 18months and the main reason i got it was for the size so it will go in the car. It was the same with my other band as i used the same rig for both for a while but now my drummer in my other band has a bigger car i thought great, lets get a bigger cab for this band and so have two rigs. I really didnt think too much about why i needed it, just that at last i could.
I have always liked 1x15's so i got the MAG 1x15 just as an experiment and liked it in an old school 1x15 way but i knew it wouldnt really be suitable for some of our louder gigs (remeber, we only have a vocal PA). then went and got a UL112 after recomendations on TB etc. It turned out to be a 112NYC but also i had problems with the lower notes so took it back within hours and got a UL115. As you know i love this cab and will be using it form now on untill i get something else. We had a few bigger gigs come in during the summer and i really wanted a 4 ohms 2 driver cab to get a bit louder or at least get more head room out of the amp (i had a GK1001RBII for a while to get a bit more volume out of the UL115 but it didnt really sound clean enough for me). Being a 1x15 it lacks some mids although its a very full range cab. and its 8 ohms so im not getting the best ot of the amp.
Like i said i did want a bigger cab and went to the Gallery to try out a UL310, while i was there i also tried out a 212NYC and loved it. As it was an older heavier cab i ordered a UL212. The rest is history but i really dont like the sound of it once the band are playing. All this time im still using my 1210 with my other band and am still amazed how well its getting across to the audience where as my UL212 has this sort of wooly low mid thats not really doing it for me. On its own though it sounds great.
I would be quite happy to use the UL115 for the rest of my life but i know with just that cab ill run out of steam at some of the gigs we have coming up (more holiday camps). I still dont think i can get a 210 in to the car with the UL115 and to be honest i cant afford another cab unless i sell one, hense the UL212 going.

From what i can gather the 1212L will have a mid hump just like the 1210 with a bit more low end but this will help get the sound accross IMO and i feel this is lacking in the UL212. If i was a finger player the UL212 would stay as its a good tone for that but im a pick player and so get a different tone and it just doesnt suit the UL212.

wow, only been up 15mins and my fingers are aching, got to rest them now.

Again, open to offers for the UL212. I know ill loose money on it but if its just sitting around not being used then thats even more of a waste.

After these comments I'd be really interested to run a comparison between the UL212 and my UL112/T112NYC set-up.

I was in a situation recently where I played with really loud drummer on a dep gig. The drummer from my main band was sitting at the back of the pub and at break time I asked him what he thought. First comment was that drummer was far too loud, then he surprised me by saying that the bass was too loud so it must have been cutting through really well.

I did a side-by-side with my two cabs against Gareth(Walbassist)'s former T212 last year and they sounded similar although the T212 was somewhat deeper. I suspect that the additional volume of the UL212 is what's causing it to be woolly. I just wish Epi would make a stright up 2 x 12-inch.

Another interesting setup would be the UL212 with a UL310 on top. Wicked. Unfortunatley I don't have £600 to splash out on the experiment.

Thanks so me more guys.
Its not that i dont like Epifani, just that form not likeing the 112 and UL212 im not sure they offer anything else. Not really a 10's man even though i have one in my 1210. Thats another reason for going for a 1212L rather thna just another 1210.

The UL212 is fine now, giged with it a few times in some big venues and no problems other than just not likeing it.
Gonig to use it tonight at a gig i have done loads of times before, see how it goes but its coming home and the UL115 will be back in use untill i get a new cab, what ever it turns out to be. Funny thing is im really looking forward to the next gig on the 8th because ill be using the UL115 again. Cant say that about the UL212.

dave...

its hard to tell exactly what you are looking for??

I can though , recommend for portability, price, sound and punch the ampeg b410hlf - it a superb little box - I have two for more or less the same reasons as yourself...I will soon purchase an ampeg svt 810 as well for the knockout punch!

forgot to say, my heads are an ampeg svt 3 pro and a trace elliot all valve v4, the b410hlf work flawlessly with these.....

[quote name='andy67' post='53851' date='Sep 1 2007, 02:53 PM']dave...

its hard to tell exactly what you are looking for??

I can though , recommend for portability, price, sound and punch the ampeg b410hlf - it a superb little box - I have two for more or less the same reasons as yourself...I will soon purchase an ampeg svt 810 as well for the knockout punch!

forgot to say, my heads are an ampeg svt 3 pro and a trace elliot all valve v4, the b410hlf work flawlessly with these.....[/quote]

Andy, to be honest i really dont know what i want other than it has to be 4ohms, smallish or at lest only one cab, not be just 10's, have a nice round low end, punchy and loud. oh and around the same price i get for the UL212. Now im sure there are plenty of cabs like that around, its just picking the right one at the right price. Schroder i know and will be happy with but with so much choice i dont want to make another expencive mistake (although its only money)
I guess as long as it could keep up with my 1210 then i would be happy. I see the 1210 as a great cab but not a great tone. But one im happy to use as it gets the job done.

EDIT: If any of my above posts have contridictions in them then its because im still not clear on what i want. So sorry if this confuses anyone.
Maybe this thread should be in the amps section.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='53855' date='Sep 1 2007, 02:06 PM']to be honest i really dont know what i want other than it has to be 4ohms, smallish or at lest only one cab, not be just 10's, have a nice round low end, punchy and loud.[/quote]

Schroeder 21012L. Really.

Edited by wateroftyne

Build a [b][url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/index.html"]BFM[/url][/b] - sooo many different configs available. For the £600 you get you could build a [b][url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni12.html"]O12 tallboy[/url][/b] or [b][url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni15.html"]O15 tallboy[/url][/b], or have Thumper on [b][url="http://www.finnbass.com/"]finnbass[/url][/b] build you one.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Did the gig last night and it sounded great compared to the last time we played there (believe it or not that was with my UL115 and i had just put rubber feet on it. Worst sound i have ever had with that cab).
But its still going. I might just get a new cab on my Credit card to speed things along so buying privately isnt really an option.

Those BFM cabs don't really appeal to me. They look like PA cabs to me. No offence to Bill or anyone, just not my cup of tea. I really dont like the sound of my Bass through a full PA. I like the coloured sound i get from my cab (well, apart from the UL212 but you know what i mean) and i dont like horns so the BFM cabs look like they will be very clear sounding. I must admit ive not looked in to them too much but as im useless with a screwdriver and hammer i would have to get someone else to build it for me and its back to the cash vs CC problem.

The 21012L really does appeal to me but its quite a bit more than the 1212L or what im going to get for the UL212. Thinking about it but not sure i can afford it.

Im gonig to drop the price to £550 (not a big drop i know) because its now sitting at work not being used.

Man, makes me happy that i can get an awesome sound from my Ashdown EVO 500, Mini 48 and Mini 15, with my Jazz bass. All completely flat EQ :).
Why don't you stop buying a loada amps, and learn to drive, then u can save money, get exactly what you want in one amp rather then having them scattered around.
And if you don't like the sound of your bass through a PA (god help you if you do any large gigs), then make sure you get an amp with a DI that can take a signal Pre and Post EQ, means you can control the bass sound going through the PA.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='54363' date='Sep 2 2007, 07:43 PM']Man, makes me happy that i can get an awesome sound from my Ashdown EVO 500, Mini 48 and Mini 15, with my Jazz bass. All completely flat EQ :).
Why don't you stop buying a loada amps, and learn to drive, then u can save money, get exactly what you want in one amp rather then having them scattered around.
And if you don't like the sound of your bass through a PA (god help you if you do any large gigs), then make sure you get an amp with a DI that can take a signal Pre and Post EQ, means you can control the bass sound going through the PA.

Si[/quote]

Si, just to clear up a few of your points.
As far as driving, i dont want to . Simple as that. Ive got by for the last 30Years, no need to change it now. Living in the C zone in london and owning a car is expensive. plus we only get one parking space (that we have to pay for) and my GF has a car that she uses every day.
I dont have "loada amps" as you put it. And i dont go around buying them all the time. Ive had my SA450 since Feb 2006, MAG since 2005 (and thats not working anymore) and only just got my LMII and i have had lots of very good compliments about my sound, its just not for me with the UL212. I had to buy the UL212 form Italy. If i could have found one in a shop anywhere in the South east i would have found a way to try it out. You just cant get thme over hear on demand. I had ot buy it untried. This has nothin got fdo with any of you comments IMOH
I would beg to differ that you have an awsome sound as i dont like the sound of a Jazz (yes i have one and no, i dont use it) or 10''s. Not saying its not to you but we all like different things. I had a ABM and hated it, the MAG is much more to my liking.
I have never heard my on stage sound reproduced through a PA in all the big gigs i have done (and ive done loads so god wont need to help me there). It does sound good out front but its not my sound. DI'ed from the Bass or pre EQ wont give me the same sound as i have on stage. I spend money on gear because i like the sound only to have a sound guy take a direct sound out of my Bass. Nothing wrong in not likeing that is there?
And at big gigs the sound guy wont thank you for messing with the EQ too much if you are sending a DI post EQ IMO. plus adjusting for my cab wont be the same as for the FOH

Anyway, hope ive cleard some of that up. I hope it didnt sound like i took any offence, i didnt really. Its just that my ONLY problem is i dont like the UL212 as much as my 1210 so i want to get rid of it. Simple as that.

[quote name='Sibob' post='54363' date='Sep 2 2007, 06:43 PM']Man, makes me happy that i can get an awesome sound from my Ashdown EVO 500, Mini 48 and Mini 15, with my Jazz bass. All completely flat EQ :).

Si[/quote]

I can't comment on BFM cabs - I'm sure they're wonderful, but I agree with Dave with regards to the bass through PA cabs.

Unlike many, I don't want my amplified bass tone to sound just like my bass. I want it to sound like my bass through a bass amp.

That's why I like my EBS Microbass, and also why I like a bit of mic blended in with my DI.

Flat cabs don't do it for me.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='54397' date='Sep 2 2007, 08:21 PM']I can't comment on BFM cabs - I'm sure they're wonderful, but I agree with Dave with regards to the bass through PA cabs.

Unlike many, I don't want my amplified bass tone to sound just like my bass. I want it to sound like my bass through a bass amp.

That's why I like my EBS Microbass, and also why I like a bit of mic blended in with my DI.

Flat cabs don't do it for me.[/quote]

Yes, thats what i meant to say. I dont like flat full range cabs. I used to use one when i played keyboards and it was fantastic. one day our bass player didnt turn up for a gig and i had to do a few songs on bass and i put it through my cab. to me it sounded horrible. No one else said anything but in the second set i plugged in to a bass combo and it was a totally differnent sound. Maybe not better but much more to my liking.
Ive lost count of the amount of times ive asked the sound guys to mic me and they have refused and insisted on DI instead.
Not a big deal i guess, as long as my one stage sounds like want it im happy to let someone else do thier job and get a good mix out front.

Dave,

I should be getting a Schroeder 210212L soon once Nationwide can work out where they wired my money to, coz Jorg hasn't received it!!!

He assures me it will be as deep as an 18" and have fantastic mids/highs with the 2x10's and new horns. From what I've read here about Schroeder, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='54408' date='Sep 2 2007, 08:30 PM']Dave,

I should be getting a Schroeder 210212L soon once Nationwide can work out where they wired my money to, coz Jorg hasn't received it!!!

He assures me it will be as deep as an 18" and have fantastic mids/highs with the 2x10's and new horns. From what I've read here about Schroeder, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Ian[/quote]

Cool. Hope you get it soon. If i can stretch to it i would certainly think about getting one. I figure its around £750 inc Rhino covering and delivery from Jorg (i have had prices from him and they are very good). The 1212L being about £560 inc Rhino covering. Thats a lot to find for the 21012 even if i get the asking price for the UL212. If i cant get rid of the UL212 here ill ebay it but i would like to get the new one soonr rather than later.
SHX are about £70 dearer and im still waiting to hear back from them but as they take Credit cards i could get the 21012L form them quite quickly. Ill email them again tomorrow. Looking at the pics on their website they are showing the older version with the rectangled tweeter. Jorg has now upgraded to a round one thats suposed to sound a bit more even. I would prefer that version of either cab but that might mean having to find the cash to send to Jorg.

Hope it works out.

Well, just a quick update.
Im going to put the Ul212 back in to service this weekend. Had a long think about it and for now, ill be happy to use it.
Plus

I think if i had gotten quicker replies from SHX i would have ordered a 1212L by now. It seems to take them days to reply (still waiting for one from Monday) and this has given me time to think. I had decided to just go ahead and get the 1212L beofre selling the UL212 but Canon have gone and released a new dSLR that i really want so my spare money is going on that.
I had a good gig on Sat and the cab did well in a venue thats a nightmare to play. It was on a hollow stage and there was a big increase in low end but it sounded good. Out front was still lacking in something but i guess i can live with it for now. I think im going to mess around with my SA450's EQ a bit, see what i can come up with.

Im not withdrawing the sale, just not going to push it (ok, i realise this will bump the thread) and if i get an offer for what im asking i will take it but not bothered if i dont.
Thanks all for your input.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='56446' date='Sep 6 2007, 12:27 PM']Well, just a quick update.
Im going to put the Ul212 back in to service this weekend. Had a long think about it and for now, ill be happy to use it.
Plus

I think if i had gotten quicker replies from SHX i would have ordered a 1212L by now. It seems to take them days to reply (still waiting for one from Monday) and this has given me time to think. I had decided to just go ahead and get the 1212L beofre selling the UL212 but Canon have gone and released a new dSLR that i really want so my spare money is going on that.
I had a good gig on Sat and the cab did well in a venue thats a nightmare to play. It was on a hollow stage and there was a big increase in low end but it sounded good. Out front was still lacking in something but i guess i can live with it for now. I think im going to mess around with my SA450's EQ a bit, see what i can come up with.

Im not withdrawing the sale, just not going to push it (ok, i realise this will bump the thread) and if i get an offer for what im asking i will take it but not bothered if i dont.
Thanks all for your input.[/quote]

Bloody hell, that was like reading War and Peace whilst walking through neck-high treacle at the same time listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle very loud on an iPod. Interesting but a lesson in the old truism that time heals everything. One day things sound good, and the next not so good. The wise mean accepts it, the rest go mad trying to fix it!
Glad it's sorted either way
Chris