Why become a member? ×

They just keep getting better

[quote name='Bassassin' post='506165' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:26 AM']There's going to be some amount of wailing, gnashing of teeth, hair-pulling & self flagellation about that over at RickResource. We should form a support group.

Jon.[/quote]

I wondered what the noise was - I rent them the shed at the end of my garden, poor buggers - I'll put the kettle on for them :)

I quite like it too actually, despite liking proper Ricks too. Never liked a headless before. It kinda looks so wrong it becomes right, or something. Although I think I like it in spite of it being headless not because of it. reckon it's unlikely to get any bids at that starting price though.

It actually works OK - wonder what happened though? This is basically a Rick crossbred with a Hohner B2A - looks like the Hohner's donated pickups & possibly active circuit, as well as bridge & string retainer. I'd like to think the Rick suffered a disastrous headstock break, rather than somebody just thought this was a great idea!

J.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='506275' date='Jun 5 2009, 12:34 PM']Er.... I actually quite like that!

An improvent on a godawful design [runs away][/quote]

+1 A very original idea/design :)

Edited by WarPig

Well I'm a Rick nut (and a longtime member of the Rick Resource Forum) and I really like the idea, even if the execution could be better. I've often thought about building a headless Ric-type. I have to say though that if the seller gets anywhere near the asking price I'll be surprised.

[quote name='sturm' post='506721' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:25 PM']am i the onlyh one who doesnt 'get' ricks?[/quote]
No.
I've owned two, a mid 70s one and an older checkerboard bound model with horseshoe & toaster pickups. One played OK but sounded like sh*t & the other one sounded OK & played like sh*t.

I desperately wanted to like them as at the time I worshipped both Chris Squire & Geddy Lee & I thought that a Rick 4001 was my dream bass. Never got on with them, or any other Ricky I've played. I personally find the build & finish quality of them mediocre at best & am astonished at the price they sell for these days.

I still think they look cool though.....

[quote name='jonsmith' post='506870' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:28 AM']It's OK, we can rebuild her.

Believe it or not, this is the same instrument.[/quote]
That is outrageously lovely - the sweetest 4080 I've ever seen. Would that be Mr. Wilczynski's handiwork? I've seen some stunning restorations he's done on RickResource.

Edit: I'm guessing that the 12 neck's a replacement?

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='506971' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:55 PM']Would that be Mr. Wilczynski's handiwork? I've seen some stunning restorations he's done on RickResource.

Jon.[/quote]

That's what I was wondering too. I have one of his restorations on the way. Lucky me. :)

[quote name='sturm' post='506721' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:25 PM']am i the onlyh one who doesnt 'get' ricks?[/quote]

Do you have to "get" them? There are loads of basses I don't get but if other people do that's fine by me.

I love the shape of Rics, my heroes played them, Lee, Squire, Kilminster, Mc Cartney, but when I finally got to try a lefty, I didn't like it.
I would still own one though, because I would persevere and go back to my other basses when I got pissed off.

I saw a left handed burgundy Ric in a local shop (Birkenhead) called Feedback Music, when I was 14 (1980), I asked my Dad if I could have it, he said yes, how much is it?, I told him, he told me to .... off.
My Dad was like that.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='4000' post='507103' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:43 PM']That's what I was wondering too. I have one of his restorations on the way. Lucky me. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Indeed, lucky you! From what I've seen, Paul Wilczynski's work is outstanding.

Jon, you're right, the 12-string neck was a replacement (it's interchangeable with a six that was made at the same time). However it isn't Mr Wilczynski's handiwork. This stunning restoration was done by Dale Fortune. It's not mine (unfortunately).

GreeneKing, missed your post somehow. The one on the left is how it currently is, thank goodness. :)

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='Bassassin' post='506323' date='Jun 5 2009, 01:30 PM']It actually works OK - wonder what happened though? This is basically a Rick crossbred with a Hohner B2A - looks like the Hohner's donated pickups & possibly active circuit, as well as bridge & string retainer. I'd like to think the Rick suffered a disastrous headstock break, rather than somebody just thought this was a great idea!

J.[/quote]
[attachment=26781:hacksaw.jpg]
:)