Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette..Tell me about them....

bubinga5

A Corvette was the bass i used to drool over when i first started playing..So im thinking about maybe purchasing one..

My Q is, what tone can i expect compared to say a Jazz or a Stingray5.....I have never played a Warwick before....Which is the best Corvette model, i always liked the FNA Jazzman...Are they weighty? Do all Warwicks sound similar, What can i pick up a Double Buck or FNA for these days?

Thanks for any comments...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='505943' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:14 PM']A Corvette was the bass i used to drool over when i first started playing..So im thinking about maybe purchasing one..

My Q is, what tone can i expect compared to say a Jazz or a Stingray5.....I have never played a Warwick before....Which is the best Corvette model, i always liked the FNA Jazzman...Are they weighty? Do all Warwicks sound similar, What can i pick up a Double Buck or FNA for these days?

Thanks for any comments...[/quote]

I sold my Corvette $$ for £450 - and wish i still had it!

They're very, very versatile basses. To me the "stock" sound is like a Jazz on steroids, but with more growl. But you can also get some good traditional Precision tones. The only issue if you're used to a Jazz might be the neck profile. Personally, I love Warwick necks, but lots don't.

They are heavier than you would expect for a small body - but mine was lighter than my old US Jazz.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='505943' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:14 PM']My Q is, what tone can i expect compared to say a Jazz or a Stingray5.....I have never played a Warwick before....Which is the best Corvette model, i always liked the FNA Jazzman...Are they weighty? Do all Warwicks sound similar, What can i pick up a Double Buck or FNA for these days?

Thanks for any comments...[/quote]

TBH there are Corvettes and there are Corvettes; you could essentially be asking 'what tone can I expect from a Fender [insert any manufacturer with a large range]' because the Corvette that I own is very different from say the one that 'Waldo' has for sale from the one that 'clauster' has, as much as say a P bass 'v' a Jazz 'v' Squier 'v' a CS. In the Corvette range there are passives, actives, Jazz pups, MM, MM +Jazz, $$, (to name but a few) BO, NT, cheapies, expensives... do you see where I'm coming from? Best advice... Go out and try one because they are all different (inc. neck dimensions). :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='505962' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:34 PM']TBH there are Corvettes and there are Corvettes; you could essentially be asking 'what tone can I expect from a Fender [insert any manufacturer with a large range]' because the Corvette that I own is very different from say the one that 'Waldo' has for sale from the one that 'clauster' has, as much as say a P bass 'v' a Jazz 'v' Squier 'v' a CS. In the Corvette range there are passives, actives, Jazz pups, MM, MM +Jazz, $$, (to name but a few) BO, NT, cheapies, expensives... do you see where I'm coming from? Best advice... Go out and try one because they are all different (inc. neck dimensions). :)[/quote]Thanks WH, i have my eye on Waldo's Corvette..Wonder if he likes Jazz basses?

I love my Corvette, nothing wrong with the cheaper ranges. Very well made too, it cost me under £600 new and has paid for itself and then some.

The only things to watch out for are the jack socket and the push/pull volume pot, other than that it's put up with years of gigging abuse

The standard 4 and 5 ash models have a tone similar to a jazz bass only more balls to it! The 4 and 5 bubinga models are much more growly with balls, they have a real jaco growl. Either one cuts through the mix brilliantly. The 6 string bubinga sounds again, growly with more balls, depends whether or not you wanted a 6 though.

I'm looking at getting the ash 5 active model for my workhorse bass, it's a neutral looking instrument with great all round useable tones.

I don't really rate the basic passive model - only get one if it is a s/h bargain (bear in mind active MEC 2-band circuit will set you back €269!!). Out of all the models I'd choose the $$ for the higher output and the versatility with the coil taps. One of my students has just got a fiver from the Gallery and it's so nice I'm tempted to get one to add the the SS1 :)
I too would choose an ash version as the bubinga ones I've tried sound a bit dark and lacking in growl, whereas the (active) ash ones sound great.

Edited by XB26354

In a word, they are good, the ash ones sound bright and airy, the bubinga bodied ones are heavy as tanks and have more of a harsh sound and the necks are big and chunky but with a jazz like profile when it comes to string spacing, the double buck is as versatile a bass as you can get and they're light and balance nicely, of all the basses ive owned, the active corvette bubinga got the most compliments in regards to sound. Oh yeah and they sound great when it comes to slap bass.

I have a 2007 ash $$ and it's the most versatile bass I've come across. Core tones are extremely pleasing but playing around with the controls and switches yields everything from old skool funk to earth shattering dub. Lovely slap tones too but I don't bat for that side.

The ovangkol necks are usually flattened D, well mine is, they are reasonably chunky but so nice to play.

I adore my vette, it is everything I want from a fretted bass. But my (and my bands') needs are quite diverse so it suits me because I'm not a one sound type of musician. If you love Vintage Jazz sounds above all else then you'll want a vintage Jazz.

I was always a Streamer man myself, but have tried most of the pickup types out there for the corvette. I was always very keen, and if I was to return to the world or Warwick again, I think a corvette would be the route I took.

Of all the type, I found the $$ to be the best by far. I found that it was a little harder to get used to and get the sound right on, but once you got yur head around the pick ups it was by far the most versitile, able to emulate the sounds of 3 or 4 of the other pick up options... kinda like 4 in one! And for what they cost now, very reasonalble at that!

I play warwicks amongst other basses,bought my first thumb new in 94,(my god how long have I played bass),that was b4 GASsing was invented,I saw someone playin a thumb and thought f**kin ell I want one.Wish I could remember who was responsible I would like to buy em a pint (may have been Mr Zender) Some say the huge bottom end gets lost in the mix when playing live,I have to agree but add a little compression and it sits perfectly,having said that,it applies to any live bass sound really without getting nerdy(bass hertz off drums etc)As for the weight depends on woods,not as heavy as a fender plank.Pup position and make are the main thing,real early ones are pre mec,so many variations on warwicks,but a deffinate arrow to your bass collection,try em you will love em.Older the better,as with most things,apart from you hand made stuff of course.

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='simon1964' post='505949' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:18 PM']I sold my Corvette $$ for £450 - and wish i still had it!

They're very, very versatile basses. To me the "stock" sound is like a Jazz on steroids, but with more growl. But you can also get some good traditional Precision tones. The only issue if you're used to a Jazz might be the neck profile. Personally, I love Warwick necks, but lots don't.

They are heavier than you would expect for a small body - but mine was lighter than my old US Jazz.[/quote]
I have his old corvette and it's lovely! (sorry, it's not going anywhere!) The neck is gorgeous, jazz profile but fairly chunky, i find it quite comfortable. As for sound, very aggressive, more low end than a musicman and more versatile. More growl than a jazz, but you can put it in single coil mode etc. Very nice bass, i'd highly reccommend one, but i'd also reccommend you try it first. The neck is very much a marmite sort of thing and the body is pretty small, which some people may not like, but i do.