Why become a member? ×

Warwick Wax

kevbass

Hello all,

right, for aslong as Ive played warwicks, Ive always used the official warwick wax to clean and look after my instruments, now, Ive just run out, and I was doing my shopping today in my local morrisons and next to the furniture polish was a tin of bee's wax for 2 quid, much cheaper than the warwick wax, and it says on the tin looks after and nourishes all wood types yadda yadda yadda.... so I bought it. I got it home and opened the lid, it smells nice, its alot softer than warwick wax, its more like a balm with a mousse like texture, so I put it in the fridge to firm it up a little, anyways what I want to know before I use it is do you guys think it would be an ok alternative to warwick wax? The instructions on the tin tell me to apply it in exactly the same way as the warwick stuff so I thought it would be fine, anyone else use regular old bee's wax?

[quote name='Eight' post='499000' date='May 27 2009, 04:42 PM']Personally I'd hope someone else tries it first and lets you know. :)[/quote]

a quick search on google throws up quite a few people who have.

I mean, at the end of the day, it's a lump of wood and wax is there to keep it from drying out and protecting it. Not really sure what warwick can claim to add to that to make it bass specific.

Yeah normal beeswax is fine - I've heard of some people using the standard furniture beeswax and they've said it's fine. I guess the most natural variant would be the best - i.e. no colouration etc, but I don’t really know if you can get different types.

Personally I use the Warwick stuff.

20+ years and counting of owning Warwicks and yes you can use off the shelf beeswax nourisher. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you can call any of the waxes 'cleaners', I've not looked into the science of it but tbh wax nourishes (and I include the Warwick stuff) wood and seems almost contrary to what I'd call cleaning... ie you are waxing over the top of/into dirt rather than lifting it off. Not that it matters as it just makes it look better IMHO. :)

I heard Warwick keep their bees next to a stereo that pumps out Funkadelic 24 hours a day, that's why it's so expensive!

I've used normal beeswax ever since my Warwick Wax ran out (well, up until the bass became too grubby to warrant it) and never had any problems

[quote name='alexclaber' post='499040' date='May 27 2009, 05:06 PM']I'm still on my first tin after 10 years of ownership. Maybe I should polish it more frequently!

I'd have thought any beeswax based polish would be fine - just avoid silicones and solvents.

Alex[/quote]

Ditto. I only just moved onto my 2nd tin a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

I'm often amazed when I hear of folks going through a tin a year... it smells alright but I hope they aren't eating it! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='499049' date='May 27 2009, 05:14 PM']Ditto. I only just moved onto my 2nd tin a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

I'm often amazed when I hear of folks going through a tin a year... it smells alright but I hope they aren't eating it! :)[/quote]

Haha, my first warwick came with a tin with about two thirds of wax used up already,

and for the record, its nice on toast...

[quote name='M4L666' post='499068' date='May 27 2009, 05:29 PM']Noob question time- can you use wax (any kind) on rosewood/non maple fretboards too? And does it help tonally, or just make it look nice?[/quote]

Put a BadAss on it...

Sorry, wrong thread.

Beeswax, furniture wax... it's fine. It's just wood - there's nothing mysitcal about it. I use it on my natural finish guitars and it hasn't caused them any problems whatsoever.

As for the fretboards, use a bit of lemon oil for maple, rosewood looks after itself with it's own natural oil.

Don't wax fretboards.

Avoid silicons.

Just found this - seems better than me spurting off.... so...

[url="http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm"]http://www.muzique.com/schem/fret.htm[/url]