Why become a member? ×

Help !!! liquid skin anybody

wrinkleygit

OK,with two important gigs next weekend, rebuilding my mountain bike & subsequently trapping my r/h index finger beween the brake caliper & rotating front brake disc was probably not a good idea.That aside I am now left with a flap of skin & a deep cut in the worst possible place,my daughter seems to think that there is such a product as liquid skin.
Any one out there with any knowledge or ideas on how to repair & harden up the end of my damaged plucking finger,I seem to remember reading that stevie ray vaughen used super glue to harden the tips of his fingers,what I don't want is a hideous sceptic mess so only sensible tried & tested ideas please, mike b.

Edited by wrinkleygit

Liquid skin is indeed a reality, it is almost like putting PVA glue on the end of your finger! It's designed mostly to be an invisible plaster, so i'm not sure how durable it is! But i have tried it a couple of years back and it worked great, but i didn't play a gig with it.

Should be easy to find in Boots/Superdrug with the plasters.

If you see your doctor/practice nurse, you could ask them to use some medical superglue to seal your finger up. Then cover it best you can to prevent the cut being ripped open by playing again. You might have to put something more substantial than liquid skin on though so how about a couple of band aids, some micropore tape or insulation tape?

SG is non toxic...It was used in sealing wounds on the battlefields of Vietnam..Liquid skin is really for blisters and burns.

1st the wound MUST be left to heal....clean plaster....learn how to play using middle/ring fingers as pluckers....let the wound heal,seal it with SG and then plaster over the top,Ive done gigs like this..replace the plaster half way through the set...

DONT worry,your finger will be fine.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Paul_C' post='497541' date='May 25 2009, 08:40 PM'][/quote]

tried this before skateboarding, used to cut my finger tips doing grabs so i gaffer taped my fingers up, but you swet and they come right off, guessing would be the same on stage?

Why not use a pick? gotta admit I cant use them for sh*t but if it was me, if it wasnt an important gig and I didnt mind fluffing a few notes. id let my finger heal and use a pick.

I have used Liquid Skin in the past, but it was not great in a gig situation, particularly on the plucking hand as it wore off quite quickly. Also it stings like hell putting it onto a cut such as yours so don't do it around children because YOU WILL SWEAR!!

while it isn't as good as the stuff developed for medical use, I have used superglue a couple of times when I've stabbed/sliced myself, in my experience it peels off quite quickly, especially if you sweat, so might not be of much use unless you sit quietly when you gig :)

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='497521' date='May 25 2009, 08:23 PM']OK,with two important gigs next weekend, rebuilding my mountain bike & subsequently trapping my r/h index finger beween the brake caliper & rotating front brake disc was probably not a good idea.That aside I am now left with a flap of skin & a deep cut in the worst possible place,my daughter seems to think that there is such a product as liquid skin.
Any one out there with any knowledge or ideas on how to repair & harden up the end of my damaged plucking finger,I seem to remember reading that stevie ray vaughen used super glue to harden the tips of his fingers,what I don't want is a hideous sceptic mess so only sensible tried & tested ideas please, mike b.[/quote]

Show us some gruesome pics… :brow:

I suffer from mild eczema and get it on my fingers especially in winter time. I use Germolene New Skin quite a bit to seal the keens and to get me through gigs. Works really well for me and has a mild anethstetic effect as well (after the stinging and swearing mentioned above). I tend to build up two or three coats before the first set and add another two layers at half time. Keep a towel handy and dry your hands between songs and it'll last a set easily.

Buy a box of compeed plasters - you can put one over the cut finger and continue to play...I've done this when I had mega blisters - you will lose some of the sensitivity, but it will allow the wound to heal, the sooner you get them on, the better.

Superglue your finger tip to your fore arm and rip it off. It takes a thin layer of skin from your forearm onto your finger tip and makes the superglue more durable.

Disclaimer: It works for me and leaves no marks on my arm... I have no idea whether [i]you'll[/i] end up tearing chunks out of your arm.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='497635' date='May 25 2009, 10:42 PM']Superglue your finger tip to your fore arm and rip it off. It takes a thin layer of skin from your forearm onto your finger tip and makes the superglue more durable.

Disclaimer: It works for me and leaves no marks on my arm... I have no idea whether [i]you'll[/i] end up tearing chunks out of your arm.[/quote]

Superglue your finger to the middle of your forehead…

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='497521' date='May 25 2009, 08:23 PM']OK,with two important gigs next weekend, rebuilding my mountain bike & subsequently trapping my r/h index finger beween the brake caliper & rotating front brake disc was probably not a good idea.That aside I am now left with a flap of skin & a deep cut in the worst possible place,my daughter seems to think that there is such a product as liquid skin.
Any one out there with any knowledge or ideas on how to repair & harden up the end of my damaged plucking finger,I seem to remember reading that stevie ray vaughen used super glue to harden the tips of his fingers,what I don't want is a hideous sceptic mess so only sensible tried & tested ideas please, mike b.[/quote]

Chances are it will heal sufficiently before next week-end so leave it as long as possible before doing anything.
The liquid plaster is a waste of time. I resorted to this once and ended up with the cut re-opening mid set and blood dripping all over the place.
If it hasn't healed enough by next week-end the superglue solution does work.
If you need to practice during the week, cut the fingers out of a disposable glove ond put it over the offending area.
Absolutely NO feel, but it will stop it opening.
Finally, stop doing daft things with a Mountain Bike. :)

[quote name='dlloyd' post='497642' date='May 25 2009, 10:57 PM']Seriously, it works. You can't even feel it. (The forearm thing)[/quote]

:) yeah sorry, I’m sure it does, it just sounds like one of those jokes that sounds like it could be feasible but is a complete piss take.

From one of my favourite films of all time…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='497654' date='May 25 2009, 11:13 PM']:rolleyes: yeah sorry, I’m sure it does, it just sounds like one of those jokes that sounds like it could be feasible but is a complete piss take.[/quote]

Just keep it away from any natural orifice and you'll be fine :)

I use both Nu-skin and superglue a lot to patch up (dodgy cracking sking and my nails separate painfully from the nail bed!). Just Nu-skin won't really help, it's too weak. If it were me, I'd put sone nu-skin on first to hold it together, wait a few hours for it to go really hard, then put some superglue over that as it's a lot tougher, and finally when that dries I'd put one or two extra-adhesion plasters over it.

I had a nasty injury a couple of years ago, I sliced the top of a fretting finger off at work using a surgical scalpel. I swear the blood squirted about 10 inches!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='497531' date='May 25 2009, 08:32 PM']If you see your doctor/practice nurse, you could ask them to use some medical superglue to seal your finger up. Then cover it best you can to prevent the cut being ripped open by playing again. You might have to put something more substantial than liquid skin on though so how about a couple of band aids, some micropore tape or insulation tape?[/quote]

Medical superglue all the way!

Hello,thanks for all the advice,this is the plan so far-

arrived home this evening & started building up layers of germaline liquid skin,I aim to rest the finger as much as possible before tomorrow nights rehearsal,when armed with a selection of finger picks,surgical gloves to cut off the finger tips & a roll of insulating tape I will let the band know that I may have a problem.

If I survive & make it to saturday night's gig I will keep you all posted,in the meantime keep the advice flowing,mike b.

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='497521' date='May 25 2009, 03:23 PM']OK,with two important gigs next weekend, rebuilding my mountain bike & subsequently trapping my r/h index finger beween the brake caliper & rotating front brake disc was probably not a good idea.That aside I am now left with a flap of skin & a deep cut in the worst possible place,my daughter seems to think that there is such a product as liquid skin.

There is New skin and I think bandaid has a version called Liquid bandaid.
I have used New skin for years. It is always in my Gig bag.
It is distributed by Medtech Labs. It has a 1.800.443.4908 question number. I am not sure
if this works the "800# that is"outside the U.S. and my bottle is old, 1.FL.OZ. I usually only see real small bottles
and they also have a spray.
In the winter, due to raynauds my finger tips split right through until the split bleeds. I use it
every night , it helps the wound breath while healing it. I am only speaking for myself but
I have had nothing but a great experience with New Skin. I am not sure what I would do without it.
I know alot of players use crazy glue with good results but,I do not like the chemicals in it, I am not sure if it is
bad or not. If you are right handed perhaps you can get by with your other three fingers. I would think that depends
on the type of music of course. The harder the music, the harder it is to "improvise". I use all four fingers
and have had to use my ring and pinky on really cold bouts of winter where the wounds just won't heal in time.

Best to you ,
Steven

Edited by LerxstLee

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='497654' date='May 25 2009, 11:13 PM']:) yeah sorry, I’m sure it does, it just sounds like one of those jokes that sounds like it could be feasible but is a complete piss take.[/quote]
Imagine if he confuses forehead with foreskin :rolleyes: