Why become a member? ×

Wanting to add a tube preamp sound to my rig...

OutToPlayJazz

If it's any help at all; if I could only have either my PreSonus TubePre or Behringer BDI 21 - I'd keep the Beheringer.

In non-stingy terms, I guess that's like saying having a Sansamp over a fancy tube pre-amp.

I think it depends on the tone you're after though. Sorry if I'm talking about something completely irrelevant. Or generally being useless.

in my experience, there's one thing that sounds like valves, and that's valves

(sorry if that makes me sound like a gear snob :) )

there's some bargains to be had out there....[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330159583234&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014"]ebay linky[/url]

I was thinking the same last night, trying to get a decent pick tone from my Little Mark with my Jazz. Got a nice tone but sounded a bit sterile, maybe a sansamp would be the ticket but would be nice to chuck some tube witchcraft in there somewhere!

Thanks guys... Some interesting ideas there...

Wil, it's my jazz bass sound I'm not happy with... The active basses (Status & Warwick) sound utterly amazing through the MarkBass rig, but the jazz is a little too harsh. Maybe I need to play around with the VLE & VLF filters a little more before investing in something else?

I too am looking at the valve pre amp situation - I like the look of the BBE BMax T and was seriously tempted by the SWR that was for sale on here a couple of weeks back, also the Mesa Walkabout Scout Combo with the valve pre would be of interest, again missed out on one on here a couple of weeks ago...

I'd be interested to know what you end up going with...

• 3 months later...

hi guys! i'm reupping this thread because i'm searching some good bass warmer!

i use bdi21 behringer more Aphex Punch Factory,which togheter give an amazing tone to my jazz.

now i have to changer my bdi21 because the adaptor connection is broken and i don't want to suck batteries. before to rebuy this effect,i want to know if there's something that give me the bdi21 sound better then the bdi21; for "better" i mean..more real.. (please don't tell me Sansamp,)

i'm going crazy,there's so much stuff!!

Black finger : 150 euro
LPB 2ube: 150 euro
Presonus tube pre: 80-90 euro
Behringer bdi21: 46 euro
DHA bass standard: 118 euro
EBS Valve Drive: 200 euro
BEHRINGER Tube Composer T1952: 110 euro (4 tubes!)

if one of this effects/pre sounds more realistic then bdi21 and at the same time makes to become the Aphex Punch Factory unuseful(so i can sell it and gain 80-90 euro).....this will be the winner!!

Edited by fede162162

[quote name='fede162162' post='110427' date='Dec 29 2007, 02:15 AM']BEHRINGER Tube Composer T1952: 110 euro (4 tubes!)[/quote]
Does anyone have any experience of these? They can be had for about £100 from UK dealers.
Would they be suited to bass use or are they more for general studio use? Harmony central has some positive reviews but none look bass specific.

I've just put this up on the for sale forum - probably underpriced it :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10567&st=0&p=111765&#entry111765"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry111765[/url]

Edited by andyonbass