Why become a member? ×

Rattly nuts?

Posted (edited)

Can someone help me get rid of a rattle before I smash this bass or jump out of a window please? It's driving me insane!

The issue is a rattle that sounds like it's at the nut when I play an open A, all other strings are fine. It all started when I moved to tapes from rounds, so I'm guessing I just need to file a bit of the nut?

I've done some digging and I don't think it's the angle of the string going towards the tuning peg, it also has enough winds. The angle looks about the same when compared to the other strings and it also doesn't disappear when I press down behind the nut.

I don't think the nut is too low and it's hitting the 1st fret. I've tried putting pressure on every screw when playing, but the rattle is still there. The truss rod isn't loose when I tap the back of the neck. And I don't have a pick holder on the back of my headstock 😂

The string looks to be sitting in the nut ok, but I have no experience with playing around there, so I have no clue if I need to take a bit off the sides, bottom, or change the angle of the bottom of the nut. I've also tried putting some foil under the string to see if it needed to be padded out a bit. That didn't work. If anything I'd say it made it worse. 

Any help would be great! I've attached a couple of pics, but if you need any more or a vid then just shout.

PXL_20240521_133857590.jpg

PXL_20240521_133931085.jpg

Edited by Jonesy
Fat fingers

13 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Tapes are MUCH wider in diameter than rounds, I’d start by checking the size of the groove for that string.

This right here. You can actually see it in your last pic if you look closely: the upper line is where the bottom of your string sits, and the bottom line is where the nut slot appears to sits 

nut.jpg.04fe111bccc3ccca7a4a73ce2bf2d745.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

If you fret the A in between the 2nd and 3rd fret, is there a tangible gap underneath the 1st fret?

The gap there seems ok. Are you thinking it's catching the 1st fret? If I play an open A and then start to press the string down on the fretboard side of the nut, I can push it down quite a bit until I hear it buzzing on the 1st fret.

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

This right here. You can actually see it in your last pic if you look closely: the upper line is where the bottom of your string sits, and the bottom line is where the nut slot appears to sits 

nut.jpg.04fe111bccc3ccca7a4a73ce2bf2d745.jpg

Ah, that could well be it. Here's another pic....

If that's the issue, do I just file down the sides of the nut ever so slightly? And is the best way to go about it to mark the sides with a pencil/marker then just file that off a small bit at a time?

PXL_20240521_192309091.jpg

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

The gap there seems ok. Are you thinking it's catching the 1st fret? If I play an open A and then start to press the string down on the fretboard side of the nut, I can push it down quite a bit until I hear it buzzing on the 1st fret.

No - you are right.  If there is a gap, then it is probably OK and the buzz is from something else.

• Like 1

Have you checked all of the screws on the machine head? Check that the big screw through the centre of the tuner hasn’t worked loose, and also the 4 screws that hold the backplate to the headstock would be my next step- also, is there any ‘wobble’ in the tuning key itself when the string is tuned?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Have you checked all of the screws on the machine head? Check that the big screw through the centre of the tuner hasn’t worked loose, and also the 4 screws that hold the backplate to the headstock would be my next step- also, is there any ‘wobble’ in the tuning key itself when the string is tuned?

All screws seem fine and there wasn't a rattle before I changed the strings, I've held down everything when playing the A open and the rattle is still there. I reckon it's likely the nut as @LeftyJ has suggested. I just have no idea where to start with filing it down 😃

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Is the break angle big enough? Common problem on A strings. 

The break angle and windings around the peg seem OK. As I understand it, if I were to press down behind the nut then the rattle would stop if it were to do with the break angle? I've tried doing that and the rattle is still there, so I'm assuming the angle is fine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, so......

I filed away the nut slightly on each side and the string looks like it's sitting in there a lot better.....

But the buzz is still there. 😮‍💨

Here's a quick vid so you can hear what's happening. When I press the string down on the other side of the nut, it's still buzzing and I can afford to push the string down a fair bit on the fretboard side before I hear it hitting the first fret.

Fretting notes was fine before (I think), but now I'm not so sure as I can hear a slight buzz, particularly at the 5th fret.

PXL_20240522_140803030.jpg

Edited by Jonesy

I had a LaBella, tapewound, G string (stop it!) that rattled. I thought it was a high spot on my fretless, but I stuck it on a fretted and it still rattled. Contacted LaBella (it had been a good while since I purchased them from the retailer and knew I wouldn't get any help because of that) and they couldn't have been more helpful. I covered the postage and they sent me a new G string (oi! I've told you before :D), rattle gone. The point of this tale is that it might be a faulty string, which appears to be a more common occurrence that you'd think.

Posted (edited)

+1 on the string being the possible cause - I remember getting a duff E-string some years ago, that buzzed in a similar way. Tried another one of the same gauge/type and it was fine.

Edited by geilerbass
  • Like 1

Attach a simple cheap capo like this over the strings behind the nut on the head:

image.thumb.png.ac5f01c3d36c6e8858c8fe535f26376b.png

Will very effectively make sure that the strings sits tight down in the nut slots and will prevent the strings from rattling/vibrating between the nut and the tuners.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash