Why become a member? ×

Issue with Strap Lock Screws

So I recently bought some Schaller S-Locks for my bass and noticed that the screws for them were quite thick. Paying no attention to this at all, I took out the original screws on my bass and put in the Schaller S-Locks with no problem. It wasn't until after I installed the S-Locks that I did some research online and found that forcing in thicker screws can cause the finish to crack and chip. I would like to mention that when installing the new S-Locks, the finish of my bass did not chip or crack, but now I'm scared that it will over time. What should I do? Should I go to a luthier and have them check the problem out? Do I need to worry at all?

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

No

What he said. If there was going to be any cracking/chipping it would most likely of happened when you attached the new strap locks. You already had a decent pilot hole,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

But the OP has already fitted the Schaller. Besides the Dunlops aren't any better, just different.

Schallers are legendary for having issues. Dunlops are not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

The current S-locks are vastly different to the old Schaller Security Locks though! 

The strap button and screw are one single piece, made on a lathe. They no longer have a Phillips screw head but require an Allen key. The locks themselves now accommodate thicker straps, and use a large thumbwheel instead of a washer and a nut. The thumbwheel locks in place with a little lockscrew which works great. I'm quite happy with them on my basses and guitars. 

The strap buttons come in three different sizes now, but size M is standard (and indeed slightly thicker than most normal strap button screws, on purpose). The S is both shorter and thinner, and the L is both longer and thicker. 

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

And just to prove there is always an exception to the rule: I've been fitting Schaller Straplocks to my instruments since the mid 80s and have never had one fail. I've owned one bass that had Dunlops fitted from the factory and one of them failed terminally within 3 months of buying the bass. They were replaced with a set of Schallers before the next gig.

The majority of problems with Schallers that I have seen reported are down to either user error or expecting poorly-made counterfeit items to withstand the same use as the real thing.

On 16/05/2024 at 13:42, chris_b said:

No issues with my Schallers as fitted to all 30 or so basses and guitars here.