Why become a member? ×

I know I am probably out of my mind even considering this but is it possible that one-time Bowie bassman (according to Wikipedia 🤔) Richard Fairbrass, better known as one half of Right Said Fred, has placed a subtle tribute to Mr P within their 1991 hit 'I'm Too Sexy"?

Not only does Sexy include a pretty banging bass line and a cool little slap break at 2m11s, the motif at 1m11s sounds remarkably like Jaco's melody in Slang at 2m19s doesn't it?

Is it inconcievable that I'm Too Sexy is in part a tribute to one of the legends of the bass guitar world? 

P.s. my tongue is slightly in cheek but give them a listen 🙂

Have a listen...

Slang (live) 2m19s in...

I'm Too Sexy 1m11s in...

4 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

They are both quoting Jimi Hendrix, Third Stone From The Sun.
https://youtu.be/Zts332Y-nyg?t=42

It's one of those cool phrases that has turned in to the musical equivalent of a meme, like 'the lick'. Musicians all nod knowingly with a smile when they hear someone shoe-horning it in to their solos. I know I have squeezed in my favourite nods to my favourite musicians more than once! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EJWW said:

I know I am probably out of my mind even considering this but is it possible that one-time Bowie bassman (according to Wikipedia 🤔) Richard Fairbrass,

Well that was a nasty shock for a moment (although it might have explained Bowie's rather unpleasant dabblings as the Thin White Duke). Fortunately, a slightly deeper dive into Wikipedia shows that Fairbrass appeared playing bass on the video of Blue Jean, but wasn't on the record. So just an ever so slightly spurious claim on his own page.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Belka said:

As far as I know the bassline on 'I'm too Sexy' was played by the sadly recently deceased Phil Spalding, not Richard Fairbrass. 

Yep, it was played by Phil Spalding. In fact, Phil talks about that Bassline in the video below. He was a very funny character:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 15/05/2024 at 09:23, EJWW said:

I know I am probably out of my mind even considering this but is it possible that one-time Bowie bassman (according to Wikipedia 🤔) Richard Fairbrass, better known as one half of Right Said Fred, has placed a subtle tribute to Mr P within their 1991 hit 'I'm Too Sexy"?

Not only does Sexy include a pretty banging bass line and a cool little slap break at 2m11s, the motif at 1m11s sounds remarkably like Jaco's melody in Slang at 2m19s doesn't it?

Is it inconcievable that I'm Too Sexy is in part a tribute to one of the legends of the bass guitar world? 

P.s. my tongue is slightly in cheek but give them a listen 🙂

Have a listen...

Slang (live) 2m19s in...

I'm Too Sexy 1m11s in...

I assumed it was quoting Dance with the Devil by Cozy Powell.

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

I assumed it was quoting Dance with the Devil by Cozy Powell.

The TSFTS quote is actually in Cozy's other big hit 'Na Na Na', is played by Bernie Marsden and references an earlier line in the lyrics ("I know you get your kicks Playing Hendrix licks, You're a wizard of Wembley Central"). Still one of my favourite lines in a throwaway pop song...