Why become a member? ×

Gibson 1974 Ripper Alder Old Shape £750 - *SOLD*
£750
Warwickshire

Posted (edited)

I have decided to sell my 1974 Gibson Ripper, which I bought on Basschat in 2011. When I bought it the body had been completely sprayed black. I stripped this all back and was surprised to find the wood is alder, rather than maple, which weighs in at a very comfortable 9lb. Details of the restoration ...

• I was able to preserve the original finish on the back of the body, but the front had to be resprayed with matching laquer from Manchester Guitar Tech.
  • The original pickguard was wrecked by the paint and has been replaced with 3 ply tortoise shell sourced from the US. It was hard to find one that was correct for the Mk1 body and I ended up with one where the volume and tone knobs are not in the correct alignment, but they work just the same.
  • The pickups, 3-point bridge, knobs and tuners are all original.
  • The trussrod cover and the number disc for the chicken head selector are replacements.
  • The paint on the headstock is crazed, but it's much less noticeable than it appears in the photos.
  • Dating these is difficult but from pot codes and other data it appears to be 1974.
  • It comes with a Chase gig bag.

I very rarely play it now, but the action still feels good. If you like the sound of a Ripper, you should like this. Located about 30mins drive from J15 on the M40, west of Stratford upon Avon. Collection preferred, delivery may be possible, courier last resort. Payment by bank transfer or Paypal gift.

IMG_3119.JPEG

IMG_3120.JPEG

IMG_3121.JPEG

IMG_3123.JPEG

IMG_3124.JPEG

IMG_3125.JPEG

IMG_3126.JPEG

IMG_3127.JPEG

IMG_3128.JPEG

IMG_3129.JPEG

IMG_3130.JPEG

IMG_3131.JPEG

IMG_3132.JPEG

IMG_3153.JPEG

IMG_3154.JPEG

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Looks like I'm having to disappoint quite a few people, but this is now sold. Thanks everyone for the interest.

Can you mark the post as sold then please? Edit your first post and put the word sold in the title

• Thanks 1

• spinynorman changed the title to *SOLD* Gibson 1974 Ripper Alder Old Shape £750