Why become a member? ×

Commercially available 'narrow' (possibly tall and/or deep) cabs.

Would anyone know of a commercially available standalone cab that is less wide than your bog standard 19"?  I'm not talking about a 1x10; it needs to be capable of handling bass duties in a reasonably loud rock band.

I'm aware of the TC RS range as I presently have a pair of the 210 cabs BUT I invariably need to take both cabs and I'm looking for a one-cab solution which is as slim as these... and I find their 212 just too chunky.  I love the width of their cabs as I have a pet peeve that carrying wide cabs by yourself invariably means you have a job negotiating through doors and up stairwells.  I have tried the TC RS112 but the tone just doesn't work for me.  

I have a GR Bass AeroTech Full Carbon 212 Slim and it's really narrow, light and efficient.

Depending on the version it can handle 700 Watts or 900 Watts (Plus version) under 8 or 4 Ohms.

Here are the dimensions in metric and imperial as well as weights:

W39 x D35,5 x H76,5 cm

W15,35 x D13,98 x H30,12 inch

AT 212 Slim: 9,9 Kg - 21,8 lbs

AT 212 Slim+: 11,6 Kg - 25,6 lbs

And the link to this very cab:  https://www.grbass.com/portfolio/at-212-slim/

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Don't carry your 210 cabs. Put them on a hand cart.

For many of the to/from locations I play, I can imagine I'd be carrying my 210 AND a hand cart for 50% of the journey.  :)  

Don't get me wrong, I can carry my present 210 cab reasonably easily (I have a couple bogey gigs with horrible stairwells inc external ones) but gigs generally result in me doing 2 trips for the cabs... not the end of the world and if nothing bests them, I'll continue to do so.  However, if there were a slim/narrow cab that could do it all in one manageable unit, then I'm onto a winner.  

Oh and I've trialled IEM and they are 'OK' but not my first (or second) choice.  However I do an occasional gig where backline is impractical and I will use IE.

• Like 1

I'm certain these cabs are great (their pedigree guarantees it) and they would be a good personal monitor if that was their only job (I have a QSC K10 for that job) but I should have said in my OP I do need to use my backline sometimes as FOH bass.  I've owned lots of cabs and have enough real world experience to know that a 1x10 or 12 will not cut it on the occasions I'm required to use my backline for front of house. 

Lovely cabs though.  ;)

• Like 2

For a loud rock band I wouldn't choose anything less than a 410 or 212. The 410 could be 2x210's and the 212 could be 2 112's. If a 212 is too wide maybe the new Barefaced 310 would work for you.

I gig in a stupidly loud blues rock band and use 2 Barefaced 112's and a 700 watt amp, and am never drowned out by anyone. I'd also suggest a trolley, but I hardly use mine since buying the BB2 and SM 112's. Even with a bad back, they are light enough to carry during 99% of load ins.

Barefaced 310, looks ideal for a 1 cab solution. I don’t do loud bands anymore but I would like the speakers a bit closer to my lug holes. Barefaced are pricey mind and it will be a while until 310 make an appearance on the second hand market. Does anyone know if they sorted their tolex peal issues?

2 minutes ago, Gypsyfolk said:

Barefaced 310, looks ideal for a 1 cab solution. I don’t do loud bands anymore but I would like the speakers a bit closer to my lug holes. Barefaced are pricey mind and it will be a while until 310 make an appearance on the second hand market. Does anyone know if they sorted their tolex peal issues?

A bit of a wasted exercise 'for me' as it is still 19" wide... I imagine it continues to be a sad throw back to the aesthetic of 19" rack amps sitting on top of cabs.  I don't want anything that wide as it is just awkward to carry.

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@warwickhunt : Why don't you use the 30 days return offered by the usual suspects?

If you can afford a new cab, and your location doesn't allow you to test it in a store, I think it's the best option.

Just an idea.

I'm aware that Alex does the 30 days but his 3x10 cab is too wide; I've also trialled BF cabs in the past and they weren't to my taste... I like colouration!  :)  

Afaik Bass Direct don't offer 30 day returns unless there is a fault.

I posted in the hope that there might be something quite mainstream that I missed/forgot, which I could search out but it's no big deal if I have to keep carrying the pair of 2x10.  On some gigs I do have the option of a one-handed carry of my TKS H115 which is only about 14kg but I 'ideally' want a single cab that will do all things without being too weighty.  The GR slim is now defo on a list but I really need to hear it in a live setting to see how it works for me.  

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  ;) 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Laney digbeth - again over 19" wide and the 410 is even wider.  

Not heard of the Revsound but dimensions are good, just a shame there are non to trial re voicing.  :(  

https://www.revsound.net/collections/bass-cabinets/products/rs212-bass-cabinet

edit - actually that side mounted strap handle would drive me mad!  LOL

Edited by warwickhunt

21 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

. . . .  I've also trialled BF cabs in the past and they weren't to my taste... I like colouration! 

So do I.

I get colouration from the bass and amp, and use the cabs for volume.  Like you do with your QSC K10.

Oops, I completely forgot that there are also the TC Electronic RS210 and 212 cabinets.

They are narrow and compact, but a bit heavy compared to GR Bass or Barefaced.

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Oops, I completely forgot that there are also the TC Electronic RS210 and 212 cabinets.

They are narrow and compact, but a bit heavy compared to GR Bass or Barefaced.

See my OP - I use the 210 now.  :)