Why become a member? ×

NBD - Grainger Hades

So, yesterday, this arrived. Before we get to the photo, if anyone doesn't like pointy things, leave. There is nothing here for you but pain.

20240419_115849.thumb.jpg.99a520308b589508dae20d504140e9a4.jpg

I ordered this in 2021. How has it taken so long you ask? There was a thing called covid if I recall. Also, there were also hilarious parts problems on backorder for ages.

Enough of that nonsense. What is it and where is it made then? Grainger basses and guitars are up near Peterborough, and around the time of one of the lockdowns they posted a bass in this shape that had a mad blue acrylic top. The cogs started turning.

So, my idea was to have this wired like an Alembic Series 1 bass and it is. After chatting to Nuno at Lusithand about it I bought some filters off him (his stuff is great by the way - check out his site) with the caveat that it might not work. 

Undeterred, I sought the advice of the basschat massive and many thanks to @Hellzero who provided the Jack wiring diagram. 

Basically, the bass can be used stereo or mono with different jacks (like a Rickenbacker), but it's active with a filter and volume for each pickup also a pickup selector. So there's 2 jack outputs. I also got Darren and Gavin to make the bass modelling the neck on my own Alembics. They've done that amazingly precisely. Top and back is flame maple, body is walnut with headstock facings and neck strings. There is a touch of neck dive, but I've not used a wide strap yet. The bass is quite light as the upper wing is chambered.

Naturally, I've got a hipshot on it for drop D and there's a brass Warwick Just a Nut too. Bridge is Babicz mono rails to accommodate the narrower spacing. Inlays are mother of pearl.

Pickups are Nordstrand Zen Blades wired in parallel to keep as much top end as possible. The reason being is that Lusithand Filters go to 4kHz give or take, whereas Alembics go to 6.6kHz.

So, does it sound like an Alembic? In a word, yes. If you want that John Entwistle 1982 Who bass sound, you'll get it. Or if you want a great clean sound it'll do that too.

Darren, Gavin and Nuno were fantastic throughout this especially when there were wiring issues we had to resolve. If you're looking for a custom bass made by a British company (or anyone actually), then Grainger do really exceptional work. Also, Nuno at Lusithand makes really good preamps and pedals which are well worth checking out. 

• Like 23

The body shape may not be my cup of tea, but everything else about it is ace! Congratulations :)

So if you just go mono with a single lead, does the bass "sense" this and send an aggregate output of both pickups blended, like a normal bass config?

Edited by simisker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, simisker said:

The body shape may not be my cup of tea, but everything else about it is ace! Congratulations :)

So if you just go mono with a single lead, does the bass "sense" this and send an aggregate output of both pickups blended, like a normal bass config?

Thanks. 

Yes, the way the jacks are wired is like a Rickenbacker. So if you use a mono cable, the circuit won't output through the stereo jack. Vice versa also works the same way. 

The precise wiring is beyond me in terms of what wiring does what, though I do understand the concepts of how it works.

Incidentally, both ways are "single lead." It's not wired like a Billy Sheehan Yamaha Attitude. Jack nearest the bridge is stereo, the one below is mono.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

So, yesterday, this arrived. Before we get to the photo, if anyone doesn't like pointy things, leave. There is nothing here for you but pain.

That's quite an interesting instrument - I can see the appeal from the other stuff you have.

I shall enjoy putting a dent in it playing it at the Bash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

That's quite an interesting instrument - I can see the appeal from the other stuff you have.

I shall enjoy putting a dent in it playing it at the Bash.

Well, I'll bring it along when the date gets arranged!

• Like 1