Why become a member? ×

Zon Hyperbass Type II Michael Manring Signature

If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true....

Not my style of guitar to be honest, but worth keeping an eye on it. Oban is 5 hours from me each way, and I'm on the edge of Cumbria, so local collection is going to be difficult for most people. It's a solid 10 hours of driving, and 20 hours of public transport according to Google Maps. That makes the £80 of postage seem very reasonable.

However, the zero feedback is a worry.

rob

• Like 1

I've seen a few of those, usually on Gumtree. Expensive guitars in remote locations. I once spotted a Martin D-45, location was somewhere down London way. The price was stupid low - £800. I asked if I could come over and try it. Seller replies, saying it's a bit unfortunate as the guitar was currently in Shetland!! I then told him I was in Edinburgh, and I could get a cheap flight up and have a look at it. No further contact. 🙂

• Like 1

I'm sure that the buyer was genuine and was alternating between working in the Shetland Isles as a lobster fisherman and a highly paid city lawyer. He probably accidentally left his ultra expensive Martin guitar as he had other legal things on his mind. 

These things happen, and for some reason, often on Gumtree. Perfectly innocent and believable explanation IMHO. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 22/04/2024 at 13:32, TheGreek said:

I replied to one of these ads for a Wal - seller said Shetland - I said great, my aunt lives there - not a note after. 

I've done similar when replying to some dodgey ads before; the seller always seemed to have "just moved" to the other end of the country, so I'd say what a coincidence, as it so happened that I was visiting relatives in that very town just next week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1