Why become a member? ×

BOSS ME90B (here at last)

glassmoon

I found one on sale locally and picked it up first thing this morning.

Had about 20 minutes messing with it and it seems to be very nice.

Much more accessible than my GT1B and the UI on my Katana 210.

Does anybody want to buy a BOSS GT1B? I can't see me needing it anymore.

• Like 1

After reading the manual I'm about 99% sure I'm getting one. The overlap between effects slots works for me pretty much perfectly. 

Only question is if I wait for Amazon to get them in stock, purely because their returns process is so good if required. 

2 hours ago, evan47 said:

I found one on sale locally and picked it up first thing this morning.

Had about 20 minutes messing with it and it seems to be very nice.

Much more accessible than my GT1B and the UI on my Katana 210.

Does anybody want to buy a BOSS GT1B? I can't see me needing it anymore.

I’m after one of these, so will be interested to hear your thoughts in it.

what’s the pitch shifting like, does it go down in half steps?

I really love the idea of this, I had been hoping for a new ME series Bass specific release, but why does it have to be SO massive?!

I think I am still highly likely to buy one, but here's what I thought they should've done...

Small sturdy platform, with real foot switches for each effect, much like an HX Effects in layout?

Option for an external expression pedal, to keep the size down.

One comprehensive set of knobs, which map to whichever effect you are editing, without having dual purposes assigned to multiple knobs.

Decent display telling you what you are editing and what the knobs do, per effect.

I guess what I'm describing here is kind of a mashup between the Boss ME 90B, an HX Effects and maybe the Zoom B6?

I love how far multi effects have come, but why oh why do they have to be SO fiddly and often require hooking up to a computer to get the best out of them?

Playing music should be fun and free, it shouldn't require us to be shackled to a computer screen...

Anyway, as you were.

I expect I'll have a NPB post soon enough :)

Eude

Posted (edited)

I have one. I love it, but I knew I would!

It does everything I would want in a pedal board and is easy and immediate to use, no menus or complications, really good tuner, and of course it sounds wonderful. It isn't a large unit (@eude) and is around the same size as a small to medium pedal board. It certainly doesn't feel like one of those spaceship units (big helix, GT1000, kemper etc) in size or complexity. I'd have no trouble with it being on a tight stage or in the studio.

One big advantage over the ME80 (its guitar -based predecessor) is that there is some overlap with the effects on each block so I can have the following available at the same time and instantly tweakable in manual mode (everyone is different of course):

1. Wah
  2. Octaver
  3. Envelope filter (can swap that for phaser if I want to)
  4. Compressor (on the Mod block)
  5. Dirt
  6. Preamp
  7. Chorus (loaded into the delay/reverb block)
  8. Tuner

Not much I can add really, although as you can tell this is not a forensic or unbiased review! I'd go as far as to say that this is a 'once in a generation' unit for bassists, in that it's been over 20y since they launched the ME50b. Did I mention I love it??

Edited by funkydoug

Out of interest, for those who are drawn to this unit, have you ever spent any time with the likes of a Helix/GT1000/Quad Cortex etc, or does the screen UI/complexity just put you off?  Personally, and I know we're talking drastically different price points, but I would find my Quad Cortex far easier to use than this, but yet ease of use seems to be a plus point for this unit?

18 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

I have one. I love it, but I knew I would!

It does everything I would want in a pedal board and is easy and immediate to use, no menus or complications, really good tuner, and of course it sounds wonderful. It isn't a large unit (@eude) and is around the same size as a small to medium pedal board. It certainly doesn't feel like one of those spaceship units (big helix, GT1000, kemper etc) in size or complexity. I'd have no trouble with it being on a tight stage or in the studio.

One big advantage over the ME80 (its guitar -based predecessor) is that there is some overlap with the effects on each block so I can have the following available at the same time and instantly tweakable in manual mode (everyone is different of course):

1. Wah
  2. Octaver
  3. Envelope filter (can swap that for phaser if I want to)
  4. Compressor
  5. Dirt
  6. Preamp
  7. Chorus (loaded into the delay/reverb block)
  8. Tuner

Not much I can add really, although as you can tell this is not a forensic or unbiased review!

Thanks for that dude, it just SEEMS big compared to the likes of an HX Stomp, which size and build quality would be my ideal, but the Stomp is just too fiddly to use without a computer. I don't have the time, or inclination to sit down and set things up, as I'd rather just play, and that's where the ME 90B really comes into it's own.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

Out of interest, for those who are drawn to this unit, have you ever spent any time with the likes of a Helix/GT1000/Quad Cortex etc, or does the screen UI/complexity just put you off?  Personally, and I know we're talking drastically different price points, but I would find my Quad Cortex far easier to use than this, but yet ease of use seems to be a plus point for this unit?

I have tried the Helix stuff and for someone that's time poor, its just too much faffing around.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kev said:

hi, I've had a pod go, used a full-fat helix, had a Boss GT Core, and looked closely at others like headrush. Had GT1b too.

My main goal was to have something not too large and very immediate to work with. I don't use presets at all and wanted to get away from screens and overthinking / overplanning sounds. I much prefer to use this as a series of really good and flexible stompboxes. I find I feel more relaxed and the musical / creative parts  of my brain can 'play' and my planning / thinking brain can stay at work! I'm also not worried about jumping from sound to sound.

The closest thing I am aware of to this is Pedalboard mode on the GT1000. Might want to look it up. That might be the best of both worlds, but I don't want the option of both worlds! 

• Like 1

Just now, funkydoug said:

hi, I've had a pod go, used a full-fat helix, had a Boss GT Core, and looked closely at others like headrush. Had GT1b too.

My main goal was to have something not too large and very immediate to work with. I don't use presets at all and wanted to get away from screens and overthinking / overplanning sounds. I much prefer to use this as a series of really good and flexible stompboxes. I find I feel more relaxed and the musical / creative parts  of my brain can 'play' and my planning / thinking brain can stay at work! I'm also not worried about jumping from sound to sound.

The closest thing I am aware of to this is Pedalboard mode on the GT1000. Might want to look it up. That might be the best of both worlds, but I don't want the option of both worlds! 

It sounds like you have exactly the same mindset as me!

I think you've got me convinced!

One last question though, what's the build quality like, compared to the old ME 50B?

It's big because of all those "user-friendly" controls.

You can't fit that many controls into something the size of a Stomp without them being too small to easily manipulate. 

If you want to have a reduced set of knobs you'll most likely need a computer or menu diving in order to be able to set up the assignments, and you can guarantee that if that's the case there still won't be enough "hands-on" controls to satisfy everyone.

For me the biggest weakness of this unit and most other budget multi-effects is the external PSU and the lack of locking connector for it. The wrap-round post is a terrible idea because this automatically introduces a point of weakness in the PSU cable. Both guitarists in my band have multi-effects with separate PSUs, and both have gone through several in the 6 years I've been in the band due to the low-voltage side cable failing. If you have to mounts this device on a pedal board with the PSU it defeats the object IMO because devices like this are designed to BE the pedal board.

Also I'm not keen to just having numbers to identify the patches, it's no longer the early 80s. Again, the guitarists in my band have enough difficulty finding the correct patch for each song when the names are displayed; having to rely on just a number would be a disaster. And if you're organised enough to be able to remember the patch number for each sound, then IMO you are organised enough for something less immediate. One of the great things for me about the Helix Floor is the big display with the big Preset name and LED "scribble strips" above each foot switch that identify exactly what they do for each Preset. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eude said:

It sounds like you have exactly the same mindset as me!

I think you've got me convinced!

One last question though, what's the build quality like, compared to the old ME 50B?

I had an ME50b, and I'd say this is just as solid. Obviously it hasn't yet lasted 20 years, but I'd bet it will!

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 1

Just now, funkydoug said:

I had an ME50b, and I'd say this is just a solid. Obviously it hasn't yet lasted 20 years, but I'd bet it will!

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It's big because of all those "user-friendly" controls.

You can't fit that many controls into something the size of a Stomp without them being too small to easily manipulate. 

If you want to have a reduced set of knobs you'll most likely need a computer or menu diving in order to be able to set up the assignments, and you can guarantee that if that's the case there still won't be enough "hands-on" controls to satisfy everyone.

For me the biggest weakness of this unit and most other budget multi-effects is the external PSU and the lack of locking connector for it. The wrap-round post is a terrible idea because this automatically introduces a point of weakness in the PSU cable. Both guitarists in my band have multi-effects with separate PSUs, and both have gone through several in the 6 years I've been in the band due to the low-voltage side cable failing. If you have to mounts this device on a pedal board with the PSU it defeats the object IMO because devices like this are designed to BE the pedal board.

Also I'm not keen to just having numbers to identify the patches, it's no longer the early 80s. Again, the guitarists in my band have enough difficulty finding the correct patch for each song when the names are displayed; having to rely on just a number would be a disaster. And if you're organised enough to be able to remember the patch number for each sound, then IMO you are organised enough for something less immediate. One of the great things for me about the Helix Floor is the big display with the big Preset name and LED "scribble strips" above each foot switch that identify exactly what they do for each Preset. 

I appreciate that these are concerns for you, but I won't use on a pedalboard, it is my pedalboard. I don't use patches, just manual mode. It works for me - hope you find something that works for you, there are certainly plenty of options to choose from!  

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I know, it's just my wish list. If there was a way to make the menu diving as minimal as possible, super intuitive and quick, it would help.
I might email Boss ;) 

1 hour ago, funkydoug said:

But this does seem quite large, and can't imagine the sounds quite stock up against separate pedals, which was always the case with the previous generations of this type of multi.

I guess if you use everything its better than individual pedals, but otherwise I'm still struggling to really understand why this would be an option over separate pedals or a more flexible multi.

Anyway, given I'm clearly not the target market, even if I may have been 20 years ago, I'll shut up now! 😂 It's good to see Boss are catering for a demographic others aren't.

• Like 1

This would probably be right up my street if I hadn't recently put together my ultimate pedalboard of six boss compact pedals, which I am really happy with and gives me the all sounds I need for the set.

bassboard.thumb.jpeg.1c51ba8cd801d397819851345564b91a.jpeg

I used to have the big red GT-6b, and although I liked it, there was still a bit of faffing about in using it. Comparing the two, the ME-90B looks to be more aligned with how my brain works. Being able to run it off batteries is a bonus.

gt_6b_main.jpg

me-90b_gal_01.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Enormous Buttocks said:

I’m waiting for an owner of this new product to report on the quality of the sounds rather than the technical features….

I haven't heard any complaints so far in any reviews I've watched on YouTube.

29 minutes ago, eude said:

I haven't heard any complaints so far in any reviews I've watched on YouTube.

Because they wouldn't be paid to do any more reviews for the company if they expressed any ;) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

Because they wouldn't be paid to do any more reviews for the company if they expressed any ;) 

I'm sure there's more than a hint or truth in that, but I have found a few unsponsored reviews too.