Why become a member? ×

Restoration of a Precision

12 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Nice way to cheat a potentiometer...

Not understanding electrickery, I watched what he did with the pots thinking, "Huh?".

Can you explain what that was all about?

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Not understanding electrickery, I watched what he did with the pots thinking, "Huh?".

Can you explain what that was all about?

New guts, old pot casing.  Because some people care about that sort of thing, it seems.

Just now, neepheid said:

New guts, old pot casing.  Because some people care about that sort of thing, it seems.

Thanks.

So does that fall into the category of rewinding a dead pickup or is it over at the 'blatant fraud' end of things?

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Thanks.

So does that fall into the category of rewinding a dead pickup or is it over at the 'blatant fraud' end of things?

Depends who you ask.  Some people will be wiping the foam from their mouths.  Some people (me included) will just get the popcorn out.  I personally find it amusing that people would rather hang on to some crusty, malfunctioning pot in the quest for "provenance".  Pots are consumables, moving objects that wear out over time.

Pot codes on the casings are important as they provide a useful indication of age of an instrument in the absence of other indicators.  But whether or not replacing the guts of a pot and retaining the casing is "blatant fraud" is a matter of opinion.  No, that pot casing doesn't belong to that pot.  But surely it's the casing that's the important part?  I don't see what the problem is, personally, but I'm not a vintage Fenderhead, so I'm probably wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, neepheid said:

But whether or not replacing the guts of a pot and retaining the casing is "blatant fraud" is a matter of opinion. 

But if you look at the process carefully he's only retaining the base of the pot casing which have the codes on them. The rest of the pot is from the new "donor". If he was just replacing a track that had worn out, I think that would be acceptable. However he's just kept the one part that identifies the "age" of the pot. That to me is fraud.

I think I should bow out of this discussion.  I will never be interested in buying an old Fender, so I don't suppose I've got a horse in this race.  In the waters the aficionados swim in, it's probably a drowning offence.  I don't even swim!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Surely he's removed all the mojo?

Yes, he completely ruined the bass, anyone got his home address so I can go teach him a valuable lesson about not messing with an old mass produced product? :whoopass:

I already ordered the flight ticket!

Those were naturally aged vintage toneplastic pot shafts! :angry2:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

30 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I think I should bow out of this discussion.  I will never be interested in buying an old Fender, so I don't suppose I've got a horse in this race.  In the waters the aficionados swim in, it's probably a drowning offence.  I don't even swim!

Since when on basschat does having exactly no horse in the race prevent anyone from speaking their mind about those horses loudly ?

• Haha 4

IMO dismantling pots to replace parts of them, unless done in near clean room conditions, is not going be very useful terms of ensuring their reliability.

I'm not really into vintage instruments, but I think that replacing the entire wiring loom, and keeping the original parts safe and in one piece would have been better for both having a usable and reliable bass and preserving the authenticity should the owner need to sell it.

Part of the problem with the video in the OP is that there is no explanation about why some items have been replaced, others just cleaned, and some left seemingly untouched.

Surprisingly for the usually rabid YT comment section, very little is mentioned in there about the pot guts replacement, and none of them being all "HOW VERY DARE YOU".  Someone asked about not doing anything about the tuners and the video poster replied saying there was no rust on them, so I guess their focus was on removing rust, not polishing things that didn't have rust on them.

In the end, it's not my video, not my bass, so I enjoyed the video for what it is and I really don't care beyond that.

Edited by neepheid
Removed overargumentative afters

I don’t get why he uses a powered tool to remove strings with mojo, yet swaps to hand tools for a bridge with mojo. Is this some kind of ritual  to gain the favour of Leo