Why become a member? ×

Ultimate bedroom rig

Shambo

I was wondering what the good peoples of Basschat's ultimate bedroom practice rig would be?

Well not bedroom exactly, as bonus points would be given for looking good on display in the living room, but in the sense that it's never expected (or loud enough) to be gigged and doesn't take up too much space. 4x12" need not apply.

Personally, I'd be noodling along on a precision with flats to anything that takes my fancy, so perhaps something like an Ampeg PF-20T and a tall skinny unknown type of cab for me.

What about you?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

The plant needs a water, but here’s my wife-friendly living room entry - Peterson combo from the early 80’s.

Small, vintage'ish looking, wood stain, doubles as a side table... who could object. Love it.

I use a Phil Jones Bass Double Four. Ridiculously good sounding in the lounge for such a tiny thing. Aux In and Headphone outs too. 

Ed Friedland actually gigs his on small intimate gigs, but he does run an Fdeck HPF to wring a little more power out of it.

Rob

• Like 2

Boss Katana 110 Bass ticks all of my boxes - 1 watt or 60 watt output......onboard effects as well. It doubles as my amp of choice in rehearsal rooms as well. 

• Like 1

Honestly the best decision I made was the purchase of a couple of active compact studio monitors. I use RCF Ayra5's and they sound better than anything you'll ever play through live, handle kick and bass with ease and innocently look like a couple of hifi bookshelf speakers. They'll double as a soundbar for your TV if you want to leave them in the living room.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Honestly the best decision I made was the purchase of a couple of active compact studio monitors. I use RCF Ayra5's and they sound better than anything you'll ever play through live, handle kick and bass with ease and innocently look like a couple of hifi bookshelf speakers. They'll double as a soundbar for your TV if you want to leave them in the living room.

What do you plug your bass into?

2 hours ago, Shambo said:

What do you plug your bass into?

I've a litle Alesis mixer plugged in most of the time but I've also used the headphone output of an interface or driven them off a Zoom B1ON. I've also used the band's PA mixer as the sound is a reasonable proxy for the PA speakers so I can tweak eq away from the gigs and get the same effect at the gig. The Alesis mixer means my duo (2vox,bass,guitar)can rehearse without setting up a PA, in an 8'x10' room these go very loud. I looked at Yamaha and KRK too but these were on offer at the time.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_ayra_pro5.htm

• Like 1

And "amp-less" setup that will secure consistency of that, that is giving me approximately the same tone whether I practice at home though FRFR studio headphones, at band jam/rehearsal through a FRFR PA speaker, or at a venue through their PA system.

Which happens to be what I use currently. 

And it looks like this on written form:

My entire signal chain explained in written form  (currently in the process of rearranging my setup, following is the most likely outcome) :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

5 string 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, and strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, tuned in tenor bass, G standard, tuning, that is as 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning) ->

->> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well)  ->> DigiTech FreqOut (feedback generator) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for the Organ emulation Toneprint) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used stacked into the Monarch flanger in front of it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (sometimes used with the HoTone tremolo stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal or the Behringer phaser from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, used with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, and always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, sometimes stacked into the Behringer fuzz in front of it, and always mixed with "clean" signal, tremolo and/or flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Superfuzz clone, octave fuzz, often used with the Mosky Black Rat stacked into it, and always mixed with either "clean" signal, tremolo and/or flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange Amp type preamp, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, always used blended with "clean" signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> ([Loops B] empty, used to blend in "clean" signal) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Zoom B1Xon (used predominantly as reverb and delay unit, with various different reverb and delay patches, including my always on {very subtle Plate Reverb -> subtle Spring Reverb} reverb patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, and beside that, among others, an extremely thick, lush reverb patch, used as a pad effect with volume swells from the build in expression pedal, and a trippy reverse delay patch, though also used for a couple of additional other effects, including a prominent "wah" pedal patch) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (post reverb high gain distortion, often used stacked into the Orange Juice in front of it) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (post reverb medium gain distortion) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay) ->> Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay (clone of the Boss DM-3 Analog Delay) ->> TC Electronic Infinite Sample Sustainer ->> NUX (NBP-5) Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI  (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio) ->

->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with build in HPF, fixed @40Hz -12dB/Oct, engaged, tube driven to just on the verge of breakup point->

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  : 

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn (crossover 2.3kHz)) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

As said currently in the process of completely re-arranging my setup, so only my always on pedals that gives me my basic "clean" tone, and the pedals that gives me my overdriven and distorted tones are currently set up, but this is pretty what it is going to look like (mind some of the pedals are place holders, as the online pedalboard manager app lacked some of the pedals in my setup):

image.thumb.png.2688b26c3917348c1e74e9b0314565f1.png

And this is my preferred instrument of choice:

image.thumb.png.09f4b8e3ff039d32e11a080f13316f41.png

A 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, feauturing a just 28.6" scale length, Poplar body, and a Maple neck with a Jatoba fretboard, the stock neck J pickup have been disconnected, as it was faulty, and the stock bridge J pickup has been wired directly to the jack output socket, and it is strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, tuned in tenor bass, G standard, tuning, that is as 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

I named it "Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer".

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And "amp-less" setup that will secure consistency of that, that is giving me approximately the same tone whether I practice at home though FRFR studio headphones, at band jam/rehearsal through a FRFR PA speaker, or at a venue through their PA system.

Which happens to be what I sue currently. 

And it looks like this on written form:

As said currently in the process of completely re-arranging my setup, so only my always on pedals that gives me my basic "clean" tone, and the pedals that gives me my overdriven and distorted tones are currently set up, but this is pretty what it is going to look like (mind some of the pedals are place holders, as the online pedalboard manager app lacked some of the pedals in my setup):

And this is my preferred instrument of choice:

A 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, feauturing a just 28.6" scale length, Poplar body, and a Maple neck with a Jatoba fretboard, the stock neck J pickup have been disconnected, as it was faulty, and the stock bridge J pickup has been wired directly to the jack output socket, and it is strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, tuned in tenor bass, G standard, tuning, that is as 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning.

I named it "Mr. Growley - The Noodlemancer".

Dude. That is an impressive pedalboard. No good for my bedroom though... I'd fall over it when I woke up in the night for a piss.

Edited by Shambo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Tecamp Puma 900 and Basschat Micro Bass Cab. Although I could have done a better job of a grille.

'scuse my ignorance, but what is a 'Basschat Micro Bass Cab'?

53 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Maruszczyk Barabass combo?

Or rather the Ashdown ctm drophead?

I like both of them, I've been eying the CTM drophead in the classifieds...but they might just be a touch overkill for a living/bed room noodle-along... for me.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps this is the sort of thing I'd have liked... if I had the readies. Not too big and attractive enough to grace most rooms. Is it ultimate enough though?

AmpegPF.jpg.d75623a0fdf8728c6e16f58f664c

Edited by Shambo